Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I somehow prevent dwarves from using economic stones  (Read 1775 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can I somehow prevent dwarves from using economic stones
« on: January 03, 2015, 02:06:24 pm »

Hi all!

Can I somehow prevent dwarves from using economic stones such as limestones in mason's workshops?

Thanks in advance.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Can I somehow prevent dwarves from using economic stones
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 02:08:15 pm »

Yes, in lots of ways. Either forbid it en-masse using the stocks menu, or turn it from green to red in the z-stones menu. You could also disallow limestone from stockpiles that feed masonry workshops.
This is a blank sig.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 02:09:56 pm »

absolute best method: Put the Masons Workshop in the centre of a large stone stockpile without the economic stones enabled at all, and far far away from the limestone level, instead of near the limestone.

Also there's a stones column in the {z} menu which I think relates to economic stones. I don't bother with it, I use the mason workshop location method.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 03:36:07 pm »

If you have a stockpile that allows certain items, then your dwarfs will insist that you don't have any of those items until they're placed on an appropriate stockpile. If you don't have a stockpile that allows those items, then your dwarfs will use any material laying on the ground nearby. To add to Thisfox's advice, put a small (ie 1x1) stockpile on the other side of the map for your economic stone, so that all of the economic stone nearby will be unusable until taken across the map, and therefore no longer the closest stone to grab.

I would suggest the z-stones menu method though. It's map wide and guaranteed. If you run out of non-econ stone, then your masons will walk across the map to use your econ stone otherwise. You could also designate (with 'q') a nearby stockpile to 'g'ive to your masonry workshop. It'll refuse to use any other stockpile or loose stone after that (and the stockpile will refuse to allow any other workshop to use its inventory unless you 'g'ive to another too).

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 03:53:35 pm »

Thanks a lot, guys!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 04:03:11 pm »

I'd use a feeder stockpile that only accepts other stones, no clay, economic, or metal ore. Limestone is useful for stone crafters.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.