Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145687 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #1275 on: August 29, 2016, 10:48:30 am »

it’s a sound bite and obviously quite a controversial opinion. Not law.

What a total fucking douche. I love it when people drop inflammatory sound bites for the purposes of PR then retreat behind "it's just an opinion."

Ah the follow up is even better.

And now people are attempting to dox me for making a comment about a game. I’m not sure I want to be in this industry any more.

Oh boo fucking hoo. Maybe, next time, evaluate whether posting inflammatory sound bites to win the social media PR war is worth the price you end up paying for it, jackass.

God indie VG drama is so tasty.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: August 29, 2016, 10:56:30 am »

Ah, so you're fine with people being doxed so long as they have a different opinion from you.
Not that I agree with them, but that's still pretty low.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: August 29, 2016, 10:59:04 am »

you thief! https://twitter.com/shahidkamal/status/769882257964294144

how dare you refund this gem?
Oh man, I've found another gem in responses:
@packy34 @shahidkamal No, but it does imply you enjoyed a good proportion of those 50 hours enough to not request a refund sooner.
Apparently the idea of people playing without enjoying themselves, but in expectation of getting enjoyment later on (i.e. buying into hype and blaming lack of enjoyment on randomness factor) is too difficult to comprehend.

it's even worse! them told everyone 'features are there! just search harder' but now that data-mining confirmed every suspicion people who believed them lies twice are doubly screwed (but hey better a burning lesson than a vapid inconvenience)

like this guy

Here is my issue with this, after people started returning the game Hello Games started assuring people that the missing feature were in the game and that we had to just look for them. Giant forests? keep looking at planets until you find one. Ship that is actually different or another player, just keep playing and you will find it. So I racked up around 15 hours before I realized that stuff wasn't in the game but too late for a refund. At this point I basically feel like they never intended to actually make the game they sold everyone on, just a deep enough smoke screen so that by the time you find your way out you don't get a refund.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: August 29, 2016, 11:04:27 am »

Ah, so you're fine with people being doxed so long as they have a different opinion from you.
Not that I agree with them, but that's still pretty low.

Dox'ing isn't cool, but neither is accusing people of a crime in an effort to shore up the public image of your vastly over-hyped indie game. It's not like we haven't seen this before. Basically if you wade into fandom and start firing salvos, you should not then act surprised/offended that the internet does what it does in response. Put another way, you don't get to be a dick then act offended when people respond in kind. And you know, I probably wouldn't care if it weren't for the fact this is clearly about their sales numbers. It's not about principle. It's about the fact they're losing money and they're just pointing to 50 hours as a way to make it sound like it's not just an indie dev crying into his Twitter.

And yeah. Telling people to play the game to search out their randomly generated content does not jive with "you played the game for more than 2 hours before trying to refund. THIEF!"
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:07:30 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: August 29, 2016, 11:37:50 am »

"They deserved it" is not, in fact, good justification for being a dick. You can say that he was a fool to say what he did, but NO, IT'S NOT FUCKING JUSTIFIED TO DOX HIM.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: August 29, 2016, 11:41:33 am »

"They deserved it" is not, in fact, good justification for being a dick. You can say that he was a fool to say what he did, but NO, IT'S NOT FUCKING JUSTIFIED TO DOX HIM.
... that's exactly what Nenjin said

The guy didn't deserve to get doxed, but he's kind of an ass. Suffering from other's misdeeds does not suddenly make him right.

Meanwhile...

The ratings of NMS on steam keep plummeting.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275850/

It's also interesting to note that Steam felt inclined to make a note about refund policies in that game. Sounds like it's getting really bad...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:43:42 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1281 on: August 29, 2016, 11:45:44 am »

The guy has already admitted that he was probably incorrect in his initial statement. Let's cut him a break, there is already enough drama surrounding this game.

https://twitter.com/shahidkamal/status/769894764493860864

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: August 29, 2016, 12:06:48 pm »

"They deserved it" is not, in fact, good justification for being a dick.

You can make the exact same argument about blanket calling people who refunded at 2+ hours thieves and be just as a right.

And personally, for me, if you go on to Twitter and start yelling at the whole world, having people datamine your info is on the shallow side of bad. It's a precursor to death threats, but honestly, it's the same story every time. People want the publicity of Twitter without it actually being public. It's a stupid belief. If you don't want your information to be made public, maybe a) don't try to soapbox on Twitter and b) don't say shit that makes people want to dox you in the first place. Professional AAA developers generally understand this, and it's why corporate policies exist to stop workers from taking to Twitter to say what they're thinking. But not indie devs. They're some special breed because they do their own PR, for better or worse. And so they take to Twitter and promptly, intentionally, stick their foot in their mouth then complain that the internet, as a whole, reacts to it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:10:59 pm by nenjin »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: August 29, 2016, 12:09:49 pm »

Notice how I've said nothing about what he said. You're just repeating "he deserved it".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: August 29, 2016, 12:12:18 pm »

You say as though there is nothing on the internet you can say that earns you the backlash?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: August 29, 2016, 12:12:23 pm »

Ah, philosophy!
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: August 29, 2016, 12:13:44 pm »

Doing bad things to people is bad, m'kay?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: August 29, 2016, 12:16:40 pm »

As he's clearly realized as he's slowly backing away from his own comments.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: August 29, 2016, 12:22:48 pm »

Doxing social media figures (even extremely minor ones) has always been interesting to me, as the law isn't very clear on where it stands on the practice (division of private and public space etc, etc.).

On the one hand, I feel it's a massive invasion of privacy, but if the information is available in a public place you can't really turn around and say 'I didn't want you to tell anyone that'.

This is again different if you're just a random person that gets doxed, but if you're getting on twitter and screaming about stuff, you can't really complain that people are trying to find out more about you.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: August 29, 2016, 12:28:31 pm »

The law is pretty clear on private vs. public figures. What it's not clear on is where Twitter fits into that. I take the angle that if you are on Twitter, have followers, seek attention and like to drop dynamite into the fish pool....you're a public figure by your actions if not by declaration.

I also like the distinction where doxing a single person is a horrible thing but blanketly calling dozens if not hundreds of people criminals is a victimless crime.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:30:28 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87