Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146160 times)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #330 on: July 22, 2016, 02:03:46 am »

Anyone else think the ground combat looks... serviceable to put it generously?
The combat is very clearly not the focus of the game, to put it mildly
I mean it'd still be nice if they made it at least somewhat fun and engaging. Better to have a thing that's engaging and fun than to just have a thing because you need to have it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 22, 2016, 11:23:37 am »

So uh, looks like there is another legal battle in the future of NMS
Sounds from my understanding like that wouldn't hold up at all. Can't patent a formula by itself.
Doesn't mean they won't have to battle it out in court.
Isn't this the entire point of idiot patent trolls? (which is what this sounds like, didn't read the whole article)

Edit: First comment mentions its also an expired patent.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:28:12 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 23, 2016, 08:09:53 am »

I am just really bothered by the fact that I want No Man's sky to be terrible out of spite... then anything else.
Somehow I'm not at all surprised by this.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 23, 2016, 08:32:58 am »

TBH I'd be okay with the ships and space combat leaning a little more towards the arcade end, it'd be a pain to have to pull out my flightstick and throttle every time I got into the cockpit.

I'd like it to be somewhat challenging - not in terms of being difficult, just something you need to put a bit of work into otherwise it just doesn't feel like flying but rather just running through space.

I'm definitely hoping for dual input method though, I'd love having a setup so I'm walking with the joypad/keyboard mouse and then can grab my joystick when I get in my ship.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 23, 2016, 09:15:45 am »

Yeah, skill-based definitely, but with a control scheme that can be feasibly flown with mouse and keyboard. Planetside 2's a good example of that sort of system, where you've got mouse-aimed heading that's good for fine adjustments, keyboard throttle and vertical thrust, and also keyboard pitch and roll to assist with mouse-based maneuvering.

I confess that I used gimbaled weapons pretty much exclusively in E:D because I couldn't get precise enough movements out of a pretty good joystick to aim straight-shooters. And half the reason I used that setup was because it was impossible to manage all of the cockpit functions in flight with mouse and keyboard.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 28, 2016, 06:13:23 am »

Only about 996400 seconds left \o/

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 29, 2016, 09:58:38 am »

Only about 996400 seconds left \o/
Until the thread gets more arguments, or until theres a game to look at? :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 01, 2016, 03:11:49 pm »

So whats the verdict on the videos?  You're not going to make me watch them myself, are you?

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 01, 2016, 04:05:25 pm »

So whats the verdict on the videos?  You're not going to make me watch them myself, are you?
Are you talking about the videos of the leaked copy which are currently causing the subreddit to implode or the normal gameplay trailers?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 01, 2016, 04:12:48 pm »

the leak, of course.  I guess there are several people with them, all posting videos?

Saw part of some, very laggy and probably overloaded by too many people watching them. 

Saw some sad things with regards to physics and things floating in the air after you mined under them, and it looks like the vast majority of all interactions are with a gun,

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #340 on: August 01, 2016, 05:50:23 pm »

Saw some sad things with regards to physics and things floating in the air after you mined under them
Don't feel too bad about that, its pretty common in voxel based terrain. Having voxel terrain 'fall' when undermined is extremely expensive, speaking in development time and resources. Prohibitively so in some cases, depending on the engine

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 01, 2016, 06:32:48 pm »

the leak, of course.  I guess there are several people with them, all posting videos?

Saw part of some, very laggy and probably overloaded by too many people watching them. 

Saw some sad things with regards to physics and things floating in the air after you mined under them, and it looks like the vast majority of all interactions are with a gun,
As far as I'm aware there's only one guy with a leak and it's the PS4 version.

I downloaded all the HD versions of his stream.

It looks... basically like Starbound but in 3D. That's kinda the impression I got from it. Note I didn't say Terraria or Minecraft or anything like that. The distinct feeling I got was Starbound... in 3D. Specifically this current version of Starbound.

You mine for items like iron or whatever to fix your ship to start with. You're on a procedurally generated planet with procedurally generated animals. You constantly have to babysit a few meters like life support or shields or whatever. I didn't really see anything that blew me away, rather everything felt like Starbound but in 3D. He ran around looking at holes and caverns and normal stuff like that. He also fed one of the animals and the animal decided to become his pet.

He only streamed the first 25 minutes or so of gameplay so who knows. He did say he really liked it but I think the latest news is that he finished the game after about 30 hours. No idea what "finished" means in this case.

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #342 on: August 01, 2016, 06:40:14 pm »

I'm surprised this guy is so brazenly showing the entire game. Isn't he afraid of Sony going after him?

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 01, 2016, 07:17:43 pm »

That's why he only streamed 25 minutes at first. Supposedly that was how long it took for them to ban him from twitch.

To be fair to the game, I saw some comments from the guy on Reddit mentioning that he was having fun with the game, although it did have some flaws such as the way fighting was (combat alternated between being very easy and very very hard, but was always really simple) and generally unbalanced, which is why he was able to beat it in 30 hours, by farming an item which would lower the cost of goods on the market and using it to buy all the important shit he needed. Pretty much everyone hopes that item gets a nerf, but I'm not sure if it'll happen or not. He also mentioned that there were several game-breaking bugs he encountered, although he was naturally playing an un-updated copy and there's a 99% chance that they'll be fixed in the patch they've been working on once the game is released for real.

When he says "Finished" he means he got to the center of the universe-galaxy-thingie. Naturally there's still stuff you can do afterwards, although he was already super-powerful and rich due to the balancing issues I mentioned earlier.

Although I didn't actually watch the stream, overall I'm still looking forward to playing it, despite its flaws. I wasn't expecting it to be some super-perfect game.

Also, I think I saw a post on Reddit mentioning you can name rocks. That's fucking dope.

EDIT: I'm just now realizing that he might have meant planets when he said "rocks".
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:36:56 pm by IronTomato »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 01, 2016, 07:36:22 pm »

starbound in 3d is basically what i feared the game would be. gameplay is second to procedural generation, and the procedural generation never produces anything memorable.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 87