Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What hyphens near goblin civ means in the embark screen  (Read 1568 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What hyphens near goblin civ means in the embark screen
« on: January 02, 2015, 06:50:30 am »

Hi all!

What hyphens near goblin civ means in the embark screen?

Thanks in advance.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: What hyphens near goblin civ means in the embark screen
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 07:26:25 am »

According to the wiki, it means they're "hostile". I don't know if it means invasions.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 08:01:08 am »

It means you're at war with them. If you're at war with the elves or humans, they have the red hyphens too.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 08:32:03 am »

No, it does not mean they're at war with you. The hyphens indicate that the goblins have some behavior  that is so alien to the dwarves that the two civs exist in a state of permanent hostility. In this case, I believe it's caused by the goblins' baby snatcher tag. They should still send ambushes, snatchers and sieges, but they won't be at the same size or scale as though you were actually at war with them. War is something else entirely, and clearly indicated by a big red WAR message next to your neighbors.

Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 09:15:09 am »

No, it does not mean they're at war with you. The hyphens indicate that the goblins have some behavior  that is so alien to the dwarves that the two civs exist in a state of permanent hostility. In this case, I believe it's caused by the goblins' baby snatcher tag. They should still send ambushes, snatchers and sieges, but they won't be at the same size or scale as though you were actually at war with them. War is something else entirely, and clearly indicated by a big red WAR message next to your neighbors.

So, will goblins send any sieges in this case?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 09:52:07 am »

Yes they should, if they have the manpower.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 11:26:37 pm »

Goblinpower.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 11:49:54 am »

Yeah, I thought the dashes were war until I actually ran across a civ that really was at war with the local goblins.  Haven't gotten a random war with elves or humans yet, but that's probably because I tend to play on relatively young worlds.

In the current version, it appears difficult for a civ to actually send troops across the map to you, so it probably won't make a difference for the foreseeable future.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 01:00:29 pm »

Yup, its baby-snatching.  A quick change to the raws can remove that tag from goblins.  This actually allows the goblins to send a caravan (in winter) since they are no longer considered hostile. They bring troll-wool cloth! :D

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 01:37:55 pm »

Yup, its baby-snatching.  A quick change to the raws can remove that tag from goblins.  This actually allows the goblins to send a caravan (in winter) since they are no longer considered hostile. They bring troll-wool cloth! :D
They actually bring caravans every season, not just winter. Not sure why that's still wrong on the wiki. Civs send caravans every [ACTIVE_SEASON:] and goblins are active every season.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia