Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Beatings  (Read 3131 times)

hegchog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beatings
« on: January 01, 2015, 08:04:51 pm »

My king mandated the production of copper short swords, since my fort has no steel but loads of copper I decided to ignore it and arm my sword dwarfs. Unfortunately I had a squad of adept spear dwarfs not on duty, they were all decent smiths so they produced the swords and were then chained in the jail. My fortress went under siege so I decided to free them since they are my only decent soldiers.

I had forgotten that the captain of the guard would beat them. Not only did he beat them but he was a proficient striker and killed two of them by jamming their ribs through their hearts and hospitalised the other three! Is there any way to stop any heavy handed beatings so I don't lose any more dwarfs?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Beatings
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 08:14:04 pm »

The captain of the guard should be whatever dwarf is the weakest, and who has NO fighting skills. High-level striker beatings can be more lethal than actual hammerings sometimes.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 08:33:13 pm »

The mayor mandates copper short swords, you make copper short swords, and the dwarves get punished anyway? I don't get it.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 09:20:42 pm »

Maybe it's that they didn't make them fast enough?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 09:35:50 pm »

I think the OP means he thought he had enough copper swords so he ignored it?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 11:34:18 pm »

The captain of the guard should be whatever dwarf is the weakest, and who has NO fighting skills. High-level striker beatings can be more lethal than actual hammerings sometimes.

Better solution to all this.  Make your captain of the guard a marksdorf.  A crossbow counts as a hammer and even wit ha full quiver your Xbow wielding captain of hte guard will only beat people with the butt of his light wooden crossbow.  He's still effective in combat and won't kill anyone for not following the stupid noble's stupid orders.

In the future though... always fulfill mandates.  The noble gets super pissy and orders someone beaten if the ydon't get their way.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 11:39:56 pm »

I think the OP meant 'banned' instead of 'mandated'.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 11:43:41 pm »

I think the OP meant 'banned' instead of 'mandated'.
A noble can only ban export of items, and order construction of items. The post quite clearly says mandated the construction of, so I'm thinking it's that.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 12:00:50 am »

Well that is strange. I only saw they mandate "short sword", never "copper sword".
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 11:51:07 am »

Something is certainly amiss here. Mandates *never* require a specific material. Maybe they mandated something other than short swords.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 04:32:12 am »

Or perhaps they only had one material available for short sword production: Copper.

Or perhaps they demanded a shortsword, like the noble who recently suffered an unfortunate accident in my fort, strangely directly after she demanded a rose gold bed in her bedroom.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 05:41:27 am »

Mandates were changed for .34.11 so that material mandates no longer happen. Mandates can only order the production or ban the export of specific items. In older versions, mandates were for items _or_ materials, never both. You could get a mandate for "n copper items" or "n short swords", never copper short swords. The much-quoted slade socks are figments of posters' imaginations.

Demands can only be for furniture which must be "built" in the target room to qualify. Non-furniture is never demanded (the only arguable exception are chains, the only demandable item i know which isn't stored in furniture stockpiles).

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 06:04:24 am »

Non-furniture is never demanded (the only arguable exception are chains, the only demandable item i know which isn't stored in furniture stockpiles).

Interesting! I did not know this! Explains why demands so far have been for beds, cabinets and, on one memoriable occasion, a table.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 07:01:23 am »

There are some people who actually enable dwarven justice ?

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 07:38:54 am »

I do not have a gardcaptain until everyone has iron helm. Even if he wields crossbow, he still occasionally punches the victim. When I have a silk farm, I usually trap him in a cage(and he survived many years)! And I think justice is a part of the game, which should exist.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.
Pages: [1] 2