Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Immortal Elephants  (Read 2207 times)

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
Immortal Elephants
« on: January 01, 2015, 05:21:34 pm »

So, my hunters are either really incompetent or elephants are way more powerful than they once were.

I've got a load of crossbow-wielding hunters, most of whom are Master marksdwarves by now, and after unloading hundreds of bolts into elephants, there have been no elephant kills.  The best I've seen is a red wound to a trunk, but that elephant fled the map very swiftly.  It seems that the yellow wounds the elephants had been getting heal in a few days, leading to no elephant deaths.

What am I doing wrong?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Immortal Elephants
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 05:35:53 pm »

They have always been powerful. Remember Boatmurdered.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 05:56:30 pm »

They have always been powerful. Remember Boatmurdered.

Powerful, yes, but never immortal.  After 800+ rounds, someone should have had a critical hit to the head somewhere.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 06:11:00 pm »

I had a giant attack. The newly elected mayor happened to be the leader of a unit of militia, and apparently everyone liked him so much that the entire dorf population of the fort wanted to protect this new mayor, so they all stacksed-on the Giant, mobbing him from every direction. He soon had very red toes, and feet, and even legs. But no one could reach his head for the killer blow. Eventually someone did, but I laughed when I realised that the head-smasher had a very good climbing skill. XD

Perhaps you're suffering from a similar problem. Are the toenails of your elephants red, so they can hide in a strawberry patch? Are their legs yellow, so that they can hide in... a banana patch?  ;) I mean, the trunk could have reached down and got hurt when it was low enough to reach. We are talking dorfs, here. Really short. Perhaps you need a stepladder  ;D  ;D

Spoiler: irrelevant (click to show/hide)
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 06:14:21 pm »

Well, since its a marksdwarf attacking, I don't think height is a problem (and I've seen kidney/ears/eye injuries).

I finally killed one, but it took a legendary woodcutter with a battle axe.  He chopped the elephant down while everyone else held it down.

Oh, and elephants have been unconcious for most of the battles, so I doubt height is the issue.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 06:16:30 pm »

I saw an ogre rip off a guy's loincloth through a cloak, robe, and a pair of leggings. Because logic.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 06:20:52 pm »

I saw an ogre rip off a guy's loincloth through a cloak, robe, and a pair of leggings. Because logic.

Now THAT'S an atomic megawedgie!!!  :D

...or he could have been wearing his underwear on the outside, like a superhero.  ;)

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 06:21:33 pm »

Now THAT is a wedgie the likes of which we can only imagine.  :o

Gah, ninja'd!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 07:19:05 pm »

Marksdwarves are pretty much useless on their own. They need either infantry support or an enemy that doesn't need to die, per se, to be effective. If the elephants really must die, sent out some speardwarves to help them. Otherwise there's not much they can do but injure them enough to make them run away or piss them off enough to gore your hunters.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 07:29:45 pm »

Marksdwarf sucks. If you want they to kill things, that is.

My stray war elephant was beaten up by a wereskink! All he could do was shaking like a little kitten.
Fortunately he was tough enough to stay alive so the wereskink changed back into a human and was killed by my military.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 07:33:25 pm »

My stray war elephant was beaten up by a wereskink! All he could do was shaking like a little kitten.
Fortunately he was tough enough to stay alive so the wereskink changed back into a human and was killed by my military.

Oh how the mighty marksdwarf has fallen.

ShutUpWesley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 07:36:09 pm »

Ouch. Only in Dwarf Fortress...

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 07:43:40 pm »

Oh how the mighty marksdwarf has fallen.

Yeah, when they don't headshot the target like the old days.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 09:19:51 pm »

I finally killed one, but it took a legendary woodcutter with a battle axe.  He chopped the elephant down while everyone else held it down.
You do know that Woodcutter has nothing to do with Axedwarf, right? Only Miner is the same for the military and civilian skills for weapon-using job. However, chopping down trees makes a dwarf strong, so that might have helped.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 10:08:30 pm »

I'd use spear dwarves if yu really want to kill a large animal. They can penitrate the thick hide, puncture organs, cause severe bleeding, and break bones! The hunters might be bad at killing, but paired with some adequate spear fighters, they will take one down pretty easily.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs
Pages: [1] 2