Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Checking whether the Dwarf is bitten?  (Read 1798 times)

Wabbaction

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Checking whether the Dwarf is bitten?
« on: December 30, 2014, 07:12:08 am »

I know that you could check that by viewing chat logs, but it says "no recent announcements" already. That is not true cause recently a weretapir attacked my fortress. He killed two of the military dwarves because these dumbs were using training weapons. I didn't check the logs fully because it was a large clusterfucks of stabbing with wooden spears doing nothing and dwarves finally coming with copper spears killing the damn thing. So, after a while, I see a military dwarf turn and kill like 8 of my best dorfs which I've started with. I sure savescummed. I will have the dorf who turned locked somewhere for sure. For later use, can I use DT or something to see the infected dwarves? The combat logs were just unfair to me.

TL;DR how do i check infections without combat logs

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Checking whether the Dwarf is bitten?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 07:18:28 am »

Legitly? lock them away of potencial victims and look what happens.

Wabbaction

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 07:28:52 am »

I'd then need to lock every single one of my squad members in separate rooms. Hmm, doable.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 07:42:03 am »

I think infected were dwarves are Night Creatures. Go to the settings page of DT and enable "View curses" or whatever.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 10:28:50 am »

well the second mos reliable way is to check the injured, werecreatures not only bite but use other attacks and in most cases the victims which survive are left practically crippled, so make a hospital which you can lock after. you sacrifice the injured in order to contain the infection, if by the next full moon (maybe have to wait a bit more). none of the injured transforms and kills the rest of the dorfs in the locked hospital. then you can release them.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 12:39:02 pm »

I'd then need to lock every single one of my squad members in separate rooms. Hmm, doable.

Can be done fairly easily, ensure each of them has food in their own room (i presume you don't just let em all sleep in a dorm?), select squads (s) press p to select individuals then select the squad with the members and send each to their own room. Lock the doors, wait 2 months just to be on the safe side.

I was attacked by a werelizard who bit someones arm and caused it to bleed but didn't count for whatever reason.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Bulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 12:46:02 pm »

Another option is to wait till next full moon, note the names of all the infected, then reload a previous save.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 01:33:52 pm »

Made this a spoiler if you want to find an "honest" way to deal with the problem... I use wiki quite often but some might detest that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:35:33 pm by Kuikka »

Wabbaction

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 01:37:15 pm »

Can be done fairly easily, ensure each of them has food in their own room (i presume you don't just let em all sleep in a dorm?), select squads (s) press p to select individuals then select the squad with the members and send each to their own room. Lock the doors, wait 2 months just to be on the safe side.

I was attacked by a werelizard who bit someones arm and caused it to bleed but didn't count for whatever reason.

Well, my mil dorfs sleep in barracks. Sometimes they group up in the dorm. Nice tip though.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:39:19 pm by Wabbaction »

Wabbaction

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 01:41:47 pm »

Made this a spoiler if you want to find an "honest" way to deal with the problem... I use wiki quite often but some might detest that

I've been doing some research on night creatures, it appears that they don't need food and drink JUST because when they turn, the counters reset and they never get to die of hunger/thirst.

hegchog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 01:56:46 pm »

Lock them in separate rooms and check the combat logs. Were creatures are annoying but if you have any infected dwarfs you could make them into super dwarfs as they regrow lost limbs after they turn.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 09:47:34 am »

I've been doing some research on night creatures, it appears that they don't need food and drink JUST because when they turn, the counters reset and they never get to die of hunger/thirst.
And even if it were the case, they'd turn before you could tell anyways.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?