Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating a Swordsmith?  (Read 2044 times)

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust the plump helmet! ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
    • View Profile
Creating a Swordsmith?
« on: December 27, 2014, 10:00:30 am »

Is it possible to mod a swordsmith working the same as a Metalsmith, just limited to swords:

Currently for Weaponsmiths, you select

1) Category: Weapons and Ammo, Armor, Furniture, etc., then
2) Material (iron, silver, etc.) and finally
3) Type corresponding to the selected category: e.g. for Weapons and Ammo => battle axe, short sword, etc.

I would like to amend it as follow:

1) Category: Short Swords, Sabres, One-Handed Long Swords, Two-Handed Long Swords
2) Material: no change
3) Type corresponding to the selected category: e.g. for Category Short Swords => Gladius, Falchion, Wakizashi, etc.

Of course, when this works, it should be possible to add some more of that kind, e.g. a Cutler covering the Categories Knives and Daggers or one smith covering all types of Axes, Hammers and Maces, etc.

When adding everything to the existing Metalsmith, his list will become extremely confusing after a while.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:04:49 am by Urist McGoombaBrother »

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a Swordsmith?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 10:16:28 am »

I'm afraid that the list for the Metalsmith's Forge is hard-coded. Not sure what you can do with DFHack though.
I do stuff, I guess

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 10:20:33 am »

First, you can't mod professions, only workshops/reactions.
Second, you can't do multi-level reactions like the forge reactions. All reactions will be on one list, like the smelter.
You could make a custom workshop "Swordsmith's forge" which only produced sword-type weapons, but then you'd have to make a separate reaction for every material as well as every item type, so you'd get a long list of "make iron sword" "make steel sword" "make copper sword" etc.
Easier just to let the forge take care of it like it already does.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 10:38:55 am »

Thx for your quick responses. Too Bad. I feared that already.  :(

Creating that many reaction chains won't make much sense. Is it possible to add some intersections like those on the main workshop-menu in the Masterwork Mod for the final level of the Metalsmith? E.g. via adding some kind of "fake"-weaponry?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 12:49:40 pm »

Creating that many reaction chains won't make much sense. Is it possible to add some intersections like those on the main workshop-menu in the Masterwork Mod for the final level of the Metalsmith? E.g. via adding some kind of "fake"-weaponry?

Sure, just have a look and copy how Masterwork does it.  It is indeed done with fake buildings or fake reactions, as you guessed.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 01:19:10 am »

Sure, just have a look and copy how Masterwork does it.  It is indeed done with fake buildings or fake reactions, as you guessed.
I think Masterwork did it in the custom workshops. In other to do this sort of thing with a hard-coded building like the Metalsmith's Forge, you essentially need to mod in weapons that should not exist, which I think is impossible.
I do stuff, I guess

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 01:31:45 am »

I think Masterwork did it in the custom workshops. In other to do this sort of thing with a hard-coded building like the Metalsmith's Forge, you essentially need to mod in weapons that should not exist, which I think is impossible.

??? It's incredibly easy to mod in weapons.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 01:51:40 am »

The thing is, the weapon modded in would have the name of a space, something like "--Curved Swords--", which means you can make a weapon called "--Curved Swords--", which does not make sense.
I do stuff, I guess

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 01:54:47 am »

Edit: Ninja'd. ^ What Snail said.

I think they mean like the fake reactions/buildings used in Master Work to separate or organize the various different categories, only for weaponry.

The reason that may not work is because if you used that same method you would see dwarves wielding <<+iron #####Curved Sword Category#####+>>, since the weapons would physically exist and be available to the civilization.

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 02:12:47 am »

Yes, it is easy to create new weapons. But the question is of how to create non-existent weapons, just acting as intersections. Or if that's even possible. Urist McDwarf has grown attached to a *test weapon category*

Should ideally look like:

Forge iron katar
Forge iron mace
====test weapon category====
Forge iron rapier

edit: Black Flyme and Snail555 beat me on that.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 03:11:13 am »

Oh, sorry, I thought you meant putting dividers in a custom workshop (which would require dummy reactions that don't cause much harm), not at the regular forge (which would require dummy weapons and be a big mess).  I don't think you'll have much luck putting dividers in at the regular forge.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 07:26:51 am »

If I understand could correctly then you don't need fake weapons at all. Just make a reaction called ##test weapon categories## or whatever it was and put that into a custom workshop and give your civilization access to it. The reaction doesn't need to do anything and it won't mess anything up. If you add weapons that your civilization doesn't have direct access to, but they have custom reactions for, the civil won't use them, but you can make them.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 07:35:01 am »

It is possible to override a workshops sidebar menu with DFHack, maybe you could use that to make hierarchical menus?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 11:22:20 am »

If I understand could correctly then you don't need fake weapons at all. Just make a reaction called ##test weapon categories## or whatever it was and put that into a custom workshop and give your civilization access to it. The reaction doesn't need to do anything and it won't mess anything up. If you add weapons that your civilization doesn't have direct access to, but they have custom reactions for, the civil won't use them, but you can make them.

It shouldn't be a new custom workshop, just amend the existing one. Or alternately a multilayer workshop, which is currently not possible as intended.

It is possible to override a workshops sidebar menu with DFHack, maybe you could use that to make hierarchical menus?

I will have to leave that question to more adept users. I am still in trouble with the basics. XD

Different case, but probably the same issue is following. I created two new special materials by copying and amending everything related to adamantine. Those are added as raw material at world gen, added to the stockpile menus, also added to the workshops as intended. Everything is also named properly. Only exception appears to be for now the menu in the Craftdwarf's Workshop. There I have got three times "Extract Metal Strands", each one related to one of the three materials. Unfortunately the name of the material is missing, so I could only tell how they are related via DF Hack Workflow Plugin. Are those task namings also hardcoded or is it possible to add it somewhere?