Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancy  (Read 2417 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Necromancy
« on: December 26, 2014, 09:48:40 am »

So, I've heard that you can get necromancer kings or queens, but since the new version of DF changed necromancy so the zombies will have the same alliance as kings or queens, has anyone seen whether the zombies the aforementioned kings/queens raise still attack your dwarves?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancy
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 10:00:37 am »

Since all undead have [OPPOSED_TO_LIVE], I'd imagine they would still attack every living being they can.

(Necromancers are not counted as "living")
._.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 10:16:08 am »

The problem is that only the zombies that the necromancers bring with them are of the same alliance of the necromancer, all other zombies (Like the zombies of other necromancers or the zombies they raise after getting to your fort)  are just the same as the old version.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 11:22:03 am »

So...no then.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 12:42:12 pm »

Would this mean that if one suffered two different necromancer attacks at once, the brought zombies could attack the other necromancer's zombies?
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 03:56:09 pm »

Since all undead have [OPPOSED_TO_LIVE], I'd imagine they would still attack every living being they can.

(Necromancers are not counted as "living")

This doesn't seem true anymore. In my old necromancer fort the undead killed everything except other undead, but recently this has not held.  E.g there is a thread (and Ive had it happen too) with numerous examples of zombies showing up with elves or humans, living and not necromancers, but allied.  It seems Toady rewrote some aspect of undead loyalties and now they are no longer hostile to the living in their own faction.

The problem is that only the zombies that the necromancers bring with them are of the same alliance of the necromancer, all other zombies (Like the zombies of other necromancers or the zombies they raise after getting to your fort)  are just the same as the old version.

This makes sense, but has anyone tried to see what happens if a member of your fort does the raising? It might remain friendly...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:58:12 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 10:51:21 pm »

I don't any of the dwarfs in your forts can learn the dark arts of necromancy. If a captured necromancer does it, then they are still hostile.

ChildofSolitude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 11:33:34 pm »

I can *ALMOST* confirm that undead, considering the changes to evil biomes as a whole, will now only be alied the person who raised them, as well as other undead risen to that master.

I have no idea how this will work with other necromancers, but I will say that necromancer nobles will spawn undead that still murder the rest of your civilization.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 09:57:51 am »

I can *ALMOST* confirm that undead, considering the changes to evil biomes as a whole, will now only be alied the person who raised them, as well as other undead risen to that master.

I have no idea how this will work with other necromancers, but I will say that necromancer nobles will spawn undead that still murder the rest of your civilization.

So... yet another reason to keep killing nobles.  Got it!

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 10:09:02 am »

i have an urge to create an ornate chamber underground and throw all my dead dwarfs there so that my necromancer king will have his own tiny kingdom. would also make for a great adventure mode spot
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 08:58:52 pm »

Is there any way to have a necromancer vampire king? Just give them a truly amazing bedroom and voila, instant eternal kingdom of the undead.

Imagine leading an army of your fort's dead against the HFS
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 09:00:52 pm by Urist McWhatTheHellGuys? »
Stages of DF Ideas:
How do the mechanics for this work?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I add magma?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I automate it?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 10:50:46 pm »

Would this mean that if one suffered two different necromancer attacks at once, the brought zombies could attack the other necromancer's zombies?
Probably, but I have not seem two necromancer's sieges at the same time, so I can't comfirm but that is possible (also, it's most likely they will be passive to eachother, since the necromancers would need to be at war with eachother to that happen...) since they may attack the living soldiers of one necromancer, and that trigger the aggression of the zombies, then everyone on a full fledged fistfight.

This doesn't seem true anymore. In my old necromancer fort the undead killed everything except other undead, but recently this has not held.  E.g there is a thread (and Ive had it happen too) with numerous examples of zombies showing up with elves or humans, living and not necromancers, but allied.  It seems Toady rewrote some aspect of undead loyalties and now they are no longer hostile to the living in their own faction.

This makes sense, but has anyone tried to see what happens if a member of your fort does the raising? It might remain friendly...
Zombies raised on site by necromancers still follow the old pattern, and will attack the necromancer's allies, resulting in an epic loyalty cascade. This is probably a bug.
Sadly, this applies to undead raised by your entity ruler too, his zombies aren't part of their civ/group, they are "normal" zombies and will attack your citizens.
In a time before time, I had a name.