Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: With multi-hauling, Herbalists are SEXY!  (Read 5285 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: With multi-hauling, Herbalists are SEXY!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 01:08:34 am »

I've been reading this with increasing amusement - I haven't bothered with farms (except for cosmetic or experimental reasons) since the plantsplosion. Fruit trees and berry bushes ftw.

A wild plot of grassland should have absurd botanical biodiversity, with all kinds of things growing-- some of which should not be edible, and even be problematic (Like stickers and burrs).  Forests should have a decided dirth of low lying vegetation from the low light that gets through the canopy-- Things like ferns, mosses, and wood sorrels.

I always assume that those detrimental things ARE there, but that the dwarves are strong little bastards who just plow on through the nettlefields regardless. Someone had to get occasionally stung for remie fibre to be produced.

...Imagine if bindi eyes or spanish grass or sheep burrs were a thing... I can imagine hating one of my dwarfs for tracking the seeds in to a burrless area, and infecting my wool manufacturing fields, killing my sheep or lowering the quality of my wool.

Since there are plant material emissions now, (which is how leaves and flower petals fall in the autumn), we could introduce "Burrs" and "Stickers" as contaminants, and rely on the RNG to spawn the plants without seeds.  That way we could make sheep susceptible to disorders from contact with the burrs, and haphazardly get these kinds of fun filled experiences without making toady work too hard for them. We could also have poison ivy, poison oak, nettle stings, and other fun things as contact syndromes with mild but annoying effects from contact with "Leaves" contaminated areas on bare skin.

One really terrible, and pernicious pasture pest-plant in my area is this horrible thing called a "buffalo bur".
http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4DMG/Weed/buffbur.htm

(What the linked article DOESN'T tell you, is that the ENTIRE UNDERSIDE of every single leaf, and EVERY SINGLE STEM of the things are densely packed with teeny tiny hair-like spines, in ADDITION to the larger 5mm long ones you can see in the pictures. These break off in the skin if you touch them bare handedly, and because it is a member of the nightshade family, is highly toxic-- and this particular species introduces a powerful irritant when these hairs break off in your skin.  This stuff is EVIL. PURE EVIL. It's stinging nettle, on crack cocaine and amphetamines, crossed with a cocklebur.)

This kind of thing would add a great deal of FUN to "barely habitable" drylands, and chronically over-pastured grasslands.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:22:18 am by wierd »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 09:31:51 am »

I've been reading this with increasing amusement - I haven't bothered with farms (except for cosmetic or experimental reasons) since the plantsplosion. Fruit trees and berry bushes ftw.

A wild plot of grassland should have absurd botanical biodiversity, with all kinds of things growing-- some of which should not be edible, and even be problematic (Like stickers and burrs).  Forests should have a decided dirth of low lying vegetation from the low light that gets through the canopy-- Things like ferns, mosses, and wood sorrels.

I always assume that those detrimental things ARE there, but that the dwarves are strong little bastards who just plow on through the nettlefields regardless. Someone had to get occasionally stung for remie fibre to be produced.

...Imagine if bindi eyes or spanish grass or sheep burrs were a thing... I can imagine hating one of my dwarfs for tracking the seeds in to a burrless area, and infecting my wool manufacturing fields, killing my sheep or lowering the quality of my wool.

Since there are plant material emissions now, (which is how leaves and flower petals fall in the autumn), we could introduce "Burrs" and "Stickers" as contaminants, and rely on the RNG to spawn the plants without seeds.  That way we could make sheep susceptible to disorders from contact with the burrs, and haphazardly get these kinds of fun filled experiences without making toady work too hard for them. We could also have poison ivy, poison oak, nettle stings, and other fun things as contact syndromes with mild but annoying effects from contact with "Leaves" contaminated areas on bare skin.

One really terrible, and pernicious pasture pest-plant in my area is this horrible thing called a "buffalo bur".
http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4DMG/Weed/buffbur.htm

(What the linked article DOESN'T tell you, is that the ENTIRE UNDERSIDE of every single leaf, and EVERY SINGLE STEM of the things are densely packed with teeny tiny hair-like spines, in ADDITION to the larger 5mm long ones you can see in the pictures. These break off in the skin if you touch them bare handedly, and because it is a member of the nightshade family, is highly toxic-- and this particular species introduces a powerful irritant when these hairs break off in your skin.  This stuff is EVIL. PURE EVIL. It's stinging nettle, on crack cocaine and amphetamines, crossed with a cocklebur.)

This kind of thing would add a great deal of FUN to "barely habitable" drylands, and chronically over-pastured grasslands.

I'm picturing a modified RAW of the beehives with critters that have poison and syndrome.  I wonder if you can use Herbalism skill level to reduce the chance to get affected by the syndrome or poisons.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 03:47:57 pm »

If burrs, and things like Tribulus terrestris (approporiately known as Caltrops) were a thing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It would essentially just add an equivalent to cave  adaptation (unhappy thoughts, slowed walking, maybe some bloodstained footprints and risk of infection), but it could be prevented by wearing proper shoes, rather than forcing you to make outside meeting areas or some such nonsense.
Pages: 1 [2]