Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: Galaxy Rise: More like Galaxy Fall, AMIRITE?  (Read 31028 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Rise: A Damaged Telemachus
« Reply #390 on: April 19, 2015, 09:53:51 pm »

Your group of officers quickly makes their way to the bridge, only to find a huge breach. They change their course and start going to the armory, where an unpowered security door awaits them. Donnely tells you to wait a moment and runs off into the corridor.
Two minutes later, her reasons for leaving becomes apparent. A makeshift explosive is dropped at the door, then detonated.
Inside, you find:
  • 5 Light Combat EVA Suits
  • 2 Light Energy Precision Rifles
  • 1 U.E.F. Standard Issue Omnipad
You recall that an Omnipad is a rather standard piece of equipment for just about anyone in the U.E.F. military. It's more or less a small holographic-based computer that fits onto one's lower arm. From there, you can use it for a variety of tasks. It's mostly used by U.E.F. ship crews to remotely control just about anything in the U.E.F. arsenal. Sadly, it probably won't be of much use here, due to the state of the ship.

"Impressive." murmurs Donnely, looking at the contents of the Armory. "We're still going to need to figure out what to do, Captain." She states as she turns around to face you. "Fixing the shunting mechanism will be very dangerous. Standard protocol in the automated engineering systems is to automatically shunt a Reactor Core after it starts going critical, and the ship is trying to do exactly that." She sighs. "Once the blockage is removed, there is a very high chance that the core will be immediately shunted, taking whoever was repairing it with it."
"Isn't there an override, Officer?" asks Hensen.
"There was.. I can't directly disable the automated shunting at this point."

You have approximately 4 minutes left before the backup generator goes critical.
Spoiler: (Important-ish?) Note (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 19, 2015, 10:17:12 pm »

Have the captain do the orders in the smartest way.

Besides that, I have no idea what to do here. :(
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 19, 2015, 10:26:26 pm »

I vote we grab everything in the armory, and evacuate the ship.

There's not really a point in most definitely sacrificing one of the only people we have to save a clearly very damage ship that probably won't work after this, so clearly we need to cut our loses. For now we should worry about our crew, and then just capture another ship later.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 19, 2015, 10:33:23 pm »

Wait a minute, we have EVA suits. Could we just get the repairman into one so he'll survive once he's shunted out into space? Then it's just a matter of waiting until he gets back.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 19, 2015, 10:36:05 pm »

Wait a minute, we have EVA suits. Could we just get the repairman into one so he'll survive once he's shunted out into space? Then it's just a matter of waiting until he gets back.
I assumed they'd have to exit the ship, and clear a blockage outside of the ship. If I'm wrong then yeah we could possibly EVA them so long as wherever the blockage is still isn't underneath the reactor being shunted out.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 19, 2015, 10:42:31 pm »

Get a guy in an EVA suit to fix the blockage. Tie some cable around him just in case.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 19, 2015, 10:49:55 pm »

Just to clarify:
The blockage has to be accessed from an unpressurized area, which means an EVA suit is needed no matter what.
Don't think this changes anything, but I'd like to be clear.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 19, 2015, 11:13:13 pm »

A cable should stop him from flying into space and even if it breaks he has his jetpack. EVAs come with jetpacks, right?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 19, 2015, 11:29:25 pm »

Yes, but the thrusters on most light EVA suits that aren't explicitly made for combat in space (which does not include emergency combat in unpressurized areas, which is what the Light Combat Suit realy is for) are rather weak.
Meaning that while they can do light maneuvering in space (like moving around when repairing the hull), they aren't strong enough to do anything else in a non-horrible matter.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 20, 2015, 12:03:20 am »

Well, can't break an omelette without breaking a few eggs. Let's tie the guy to a cable and shoot him off into space!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 20, 2015, 02:23:56 am »

You also have to specify who to send.
Just FYI.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 20, 2015, 07:52:00 pm »

This was one of the first forum games I ever posted in. I wonder how it's going, i.e what is going on?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 20, 2015, 09:30:23 pm »

You also have to specify who to send.
Guess I'll choose for you in a typical "evil GM" style. This is going to be fun!
This was one of the first forum games I ever posted in. I wonder how it's going, i.e what is going on?
More or less a restart due to some tweaked systems and the super-long hiatus.

With the time to detonation quickly ticking down, you order Hensen to get into a suit and investigate the blockage.
2 minutes left.
Your radio comes to life with the voice of Hensen. "Looks easy enough. Donnely, can you at least try to stop the automated systems?"
"I'm trying," says Donnely into her radio. "Your chances aren't looking good, though."
Hensen struggles with the debris as the time to detonation reaches zero.
1 minute left.
As Hensen is still attempting to remove the wreckage, Lip appears behind you.
"Captain!" is heard as he approaches you. "Our time is running out. We can still make it if we run to the shuttle."
"Just wait, Lip!" yells Donnely. "Let Hensen try."
Just as the core is about to go critical, the Intercomm activates.
"Backup Generator Charlie has been shunted. Now running on reserve power."
"Damnit!" yells Donnely. "That was the automated shunting system! I wasn't able to get confirmation that Hensen got clear of the shunting area before it activated!"

You try to reach Hensen on your radio, but he isn't there. No matter how many times anyone tries, he can't be reached.
Donnely checks the site in another EVA suit, but all she sees is the unblocked shunting mechanism, and the severed remains of the wire Hensen had used to secure himself (due to your orders). Hensen is, as of this moment, MIA.

Your frantic searching on the radio channels is stopped by Lip, who motions towards the corridor.
"Captain. The Telemachus is obviously in no condition to do anything. Nothing short of repairs in an actual repair facility will get us flying again." He raises his arm, which has the Omnipad equipped. Bringing up a hologram of the planet, he starts talking as he points to various places on the globe. "I've already checked, and the fuel level of the shuttle should be enough to take us to pretty much anywhere on the planet below. There are various mining colonies that mostly just mine basic metals for alloy smelting. If we head there, we may be able to garner support, but I'd recommend heading to an actual city anywhere on the planet. Given the amount of cities, I think it'd be best for you to name any specifications you'd like in your landing site, and I'll search the globe for it." He closes the hologram.

At the moment, you don't know if Hensen is alive or not, but past anything you want to do short-term, it'd most likely be for the best to find somewhere to land.
Though you do remember some of the events leading up to your party awakening. You are orbiting Outreach, an edge U.E.F. Colony on a habitable world, which while small, was relatively bustling before the Uark occupation.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:43:01 pm by Chiefwaffles »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Rise: Woops.
« Reply #403 on: April 21, 2015, 02:44:53 am »

Free update!
I've decided that the planetfall options are a bit lackluster, so I'm going to do a tiny bit of railroading instead. The plot will actually exist this time. Hopefully.
Also I would like to blame the following events on a series of dice rolls.

As you ponder your options for your landing site, a loud screeching noise is heard throughout the hangar.
Donnely silences Lip and yourself to listen to the origin. "Follow me." she orders while walking rather quickly down the corridor.
You quickly arrive at the hangar, where the shuttle is stored.
It's also where a large support beam appears to be slowly collapsing.
You think you can hear Donnely swear under her breath, but you're not sure.
SCRRRCH!
"Alright, we've got to leave. Now." Donnely yells while Lip motions you to get into the shuttle.
Just as you're stepping into the shuttle, a rather astounding event happens.
A secondary support falls from where it was lodged above, hitting the shuttle.

The small spacecraft immediately starts moving with engines at full blast. Luckily, Lip is able to pull you in just in time.
"Donnely. What happened?!" yells Lip.
"I'd go ahead and guess that hit a rather crucial portion of the control systems," she mutters while attempting to manipulate the shuttle controls. "You'd better hold on tight."

About half an hour later, residents of the city, Landing, see a peculiar object streak through the sky and land somewhere out of city bounds.
Hours later, you finally come to.
"Captain?"
"Captain? You there?"
"Well, you seem to be. You should probably take it slowly - no sudden movements."

You groggily lift yourself up on your seat as Donnely continues talking.
"Lip's just finishing up his second basic scouting of the city. It has a relatively small Uark occupation force, what appears to be a Comms Outpost, as well as many shops. There's also apparently a vehicle depot for leaving and entering the city, but that's barred to official Uark business."
"That's just about all we know, though. We're still trying to figure out how to get someplace else. It'd be easy if we kept anything from the armory except the omnipad."
"Anyways, Cap--"

A loud knocking is heard at the door.
"PLEASE OPEN THIS DOOR." can be heard from just outside.
Donnely opens it to reveal an Uark soldier. "Civilians," he begins, "The city manager would like to inform the populace of the town that one 'Gwen Davis' is wanted for theft of Uark secure property. Any information about her location will be generously rewarded."
"Yes, Sir." smiles Donnely as she closes the door.
She sighs. "What now, Captain?"

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Rise: Woops.
« Reply #404 on: April 21, 2015, 04:04:45 am »

Oh crap damn it! I was at my grandma's house and couldn't respond. What was Hensen's job, again?

Find Gwen Davis and bring her to us. The stuff she stole might be useful.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28