Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plumbing Question  (Read 1108 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Plumbing Question
« on: December 21, 2014, 06:51:13 pm »

Okay, so I'm trying to fill up a reservoir of water from a source below the reservoir itself. Normally I would just build a pump stack up to the level I want to fill it to, but that isn't an option here because of other infrastructure crowding it out. I have as much space as I need to work with on the bottom level of the reservoir and down. What I'm wondering is, can I pressurize the water in such a way that the water being forced in will fill the reservoir above the level the pump sits on? I tried just setting a pump down but it only filled it up to the same level.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Plumbing Question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 06:54:43 pm »

Magma piston. With water.
Won't work with aquifers and will run out of water sometime.

Go with pump stacks, they work most of the time.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 07:31:26 pm »

Build a pump stack up to the appropriate z-level elsewhere, and have it empty into a tunnel that leads to your cisterns bottom z-level. Just make sure the tunnel has no diagonals and df water-pressure physics should do the rest.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This page on the wiki may help too.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Pressure

And a very old forum post, but still good info for your reading pleasure. One that I remember reading and using when I was busy learning how not to flood my forts.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=32453.0
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 07:46:33 pm by Patchy »

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 07:44:10 pm »

If all else fails, bucket brigades are still valid.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 07:46:37 pm »

Build a pump stack inside the reservoir, problem fixed.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 07:50:38 pm »

Build a pump stack up to the appropriate z-level elsewhere, and have it empty into a tunnel that leads to your cisterns bottom z-level. Just make sure the tunnel has no diagonals and df water-pressure physics should do the rest.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That should work brilliantly! I have the perfect spot for it, too.

This is also an interesting solution, and it saves me some digging. I'd rather keep the cistern as clear I can manage though.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 09:28:48 pm »

Well if you can take water from another source and fill another column until the pressure equalizes to fill your cistern... then you probably could have just used that source instead... sorry, don't think I can help on this one...

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 07:36:18 am »

This is also an interesting solution, and it saves me some digging. I'd rather keep the cistern as clear I can manage though.
This does have the advantage of your water being cleared of contaminants constantly. So no problem if a dead dwarf or a FB's excretions get into the reservoir.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.