Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Communism and History (offshoot thread)  (Read 4156 times)

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Communism and History (offshoot thread)
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 12:28:07 pm »

PTW, how appropriate that off topic thread gets off topic.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 12:30:11 pm »

It would be very confusing to have a multi-threaded discussion, constantly jumping from thread to thread. It's better to keep it in a single thread, so that the line of discussion doesn't get lost.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 12:47:56 pm »

I did not realize the nature of this topic before.  Reposting from other thread:

Germany had allies.  At the end of 1941 the ratio of Axis to Soviet available population and economy was 2-1.  And that was a German economy that was blocked from all sea trade by the oft-overlooked British blockade.  I wouldn't just say that it was possible that the Axis would have been able to beat the Soviets alone, I'd say that it was all but overwhelmingly likely.  The Soviets were taking casualties at a worse then 1-1 rate and the Axis had more troops to sacrifice.

If the war had drawn onto 1946 the Soviets would have had to go from inducting 6 million men a year into the armed forces into inducting 1 million men.  They simply didn't have more manpower to draw.  As it was they suffered a famine in 1946.  If they had been fighting the Axis alone and the war was still going the famine would have been worse.  Germany ran out of manpower historically but they would have run out if Italy hadn't surrendered (to say nothing of other allies) and they didn't need to bother with North Africa+Normandy+3 million men on anti-aircraft and repair duties.

It would have been a long, grinding affair.  The Germans were in a horrible logistical situation that meant they couldn't achieve blitzkrieg successes.  It would have been a war of attrition.  But the Soviets despite the myth of Soviet hordes did not have infinite manpower and that manpower would have been exhausted first.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 12:56:02 pm »

It's all purely theoretical, since it assumes that Germany somehow gained the territory of Poland and France without getting war declaration from Allies.

It counts in all possible advantages of conquering Europe while ignoring all disadvantages.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 01:07:31 pm »

If that's the line you are taking then the answer to:
"Could the Soviets have beat Germany alone" would be:
"No, the Soviets would not have fought Germany alone."
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 01:58:27 pm »

I still believe that the question "could Soviets have beaten Germany alone" is fundamentally speculative and impossible to answer with any degree of certainty.

Wars don't happen in a vacuum, you see, and more often than not they don't go according to plan.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:01:37 pm by Knit tie »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 02:48:47 pm »

Well obviously any hypothetical is speculative.  That's a tautology.

What isn't speculative is to look at the historical resources of each side and look at the rate they used those resources and use simple extrapolation to see that Soviet resources would have exhausted years before Axis ones.  That's simply stating what happened, not speculating that it was fated to happen that way.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 02:51:51 pm »

posting to warm my hands with the heat of this warming thread
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 03:01:30 pm »

What isn't speculative is to look at the historical resources of each side and look at the rate they used those resources and use simple extrapolation to see that Soviet resources would have exhausted years before Axis ones.  That's simply stating what happened, not speculating that it was fated to happen that way.
And I'm pointing out that Axis would not have had these kinds of resources in that scenario, unless Allies would supply Axis with lend-lease.

Germany bought a lot of resources from USSR after the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. Germany needed those resources. Germany wouldn't get those resources without the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, which wouldn't happen if Poland wasn't invaded, which couldn't happen because Axis is not at war with Allies.

Germany in that scenario would be a lot weaker than in reality. Not to mention the lack of combat experience which came after the Europe campaigns, which are impossible in this scenario since Axis is not at war with Allies.

Am I wrong?
._.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 03:14:37 pm »

And I'm pointing out that Axis would not have had these kinds of resources in that scenario, unless Allies would supply Axis with lend-lease.

Germany bought a lot of resources from USSR after the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. Germany needed those resources. Germany wouldn't get those resources without the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, which wouldn't happen if Poland wasn't invaded, which couldn't happen because Axis is not at war with Allies.

Germany in that scenario would be a lot weaker than in reality. Not to mention the lack of combat experience which came after the Europe campaigns, which are impossible in this scenario since Axis is not at war with Allies.

Am I wrong?

Only partially - Germany actually lost quite a bit of combat vehicles in France and especially aircraft against the RAF, and had not been able to fully recover yet when Barbarossa was launched. Both fighter and especially bomber forces were actually smaller than they were in 1940 before the attacks on France and Benelux countries, and the latter due to heavy casualties was also less experienced. Wehrmacht had to use trucks salvaged from France to be able to patch the gaps in lines. Also many of the existing units, and not exactly the worst ones, were left to Norway(1 fighter, 2 bomber regiments IIRC) and France(2 fighter regiments) and some were fighting in the Mediterranean TOE. Plus the troop and armor garrisons, and the whole mass construction of a submarine fleet that was taking up fit men, workers and manufacturing capacity.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 03:43:06 pm »

It's all purely theoretical, since it assumes that Germany somehow gained the territory of Poland and France without getting war declaration from Allies.

It counts in all possible advantages of conquering Europe while ignoring all disadvantages.
Okay: Hitler makes peace with Britain in 1941, before Barbarossa starts. Who wins?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 05:41:50 pm »

Well the Soviets would be caught slightly less of guard but I have to ask why Britain would accept such terms.  Is Germany making another 200 submarines a year, at the cost of huge land forces not built?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 05:48:00 pm »

It's all about tanks, guys.

Tanks are nice and warm.

I would like to have a tank.

A nice, warm tank.

Tanks.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 06:08:31 pm »

It's all about tanks, guys.

Tanks are nice and warm.

I would like to have a tank.

A nice, warm tank.

Tanks.
I'm a taaank!
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 07:07:07 pm »

I'm not sure if they'd have been able to beat them, but I think they'd have been successful in at least defending Russia. After all, the whole Russian winter, their culture (from what I understand of it) and such generally results in a rather hard place to capture, combined with Hitler's intelligence, or lack thereof. You send guys in, they freeze. If they don't freeze, the sudden geurilla groups kill them. Both of those fail, then Hitler would probably manage to fuck SOMETHING up.

It wasn't really the winter that was the problem, it was the mud before and after the winter.  The freeze itself was when it became possible to move again.

But really the terrain is overstated.  Everyone freezes their ass off during a winter.  What actually killed the Germans is when the Soviets could launch a massive offensive with six million men that advanced 500 miles and enveloped entire armies as it went.  Ya know, military stuff.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 [2] 3