Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins send human lackeys in siege?  (Read 1948 times)

Newtonium

• Escaped Lunatic
  • OH GOD HOW CAN SHAVING CREAM BE SO FLAMMABLE
    • View Profile
Goblins send human lackeys in siege?
« on: December 18, 2014, 06:42:46 am »

So I started a new fortress and, after playing for a while, the message 'A vile force of darkness has come!' appeared.  I was expecting loads of gobbos, and my military was hungering for blood, but only one human squad appeared.  There was a human hammerer (I think he was an expert hammerer) and about 10 other humans, but no goblins.  To make it even weirder, the humans only advanced a few steps onto the map when two of them (including the leader) became overcome with terror, and they promptly left.  The siege is over now (the tag has disappeared) but those humans were the only creatures who came onto the map.  Is this normal?  Do the gobbos use slaves in battle?
...No, wait. I forgot what forum we're in. Oh well, sanity's over-rated.
Quote from: Cominous
if( will_crash() ) dont();

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins send human lackeys in siege?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 06:49:04 am »

Goblins do use slaves in battle, and there's a good chance that if one of your childs got snatched, they will appear as a soldier years later to fight for the goblins. But it's not normal for them to send only humans, and no goblins. Although it is possible it is quite rare I guess.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 07:20:08 am »

[ETHIC:SLAVERY:PERSONAL_MATTER]
It's possible. Goblins also have human/dwarf/elves in their civ from all the conquered/snatched citizens they've acquired and all the descendents of their children.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 07:22:54 am »

Maybe they're just conquered humans and part of the human civ. Not necessarily slaves.

Newtonium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 08:01:09 am »

Goblins do use slaves in battle, and there's a good chance that if one of your childs got snatched, they will appear as a soldier years later to fight for the goblins. But it's not normal for them to send only humans, and no goblins. Although it is possible it is quite rare I guess.
Like the dirty cheater and utter n00b I am, I had only just turned invaders on when the seige happened.  Would this have anything to do with the lack of goblins?
Also, thanksh guysh for the repliesh ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 08:23:13 am »

I do like the idea that they turned and fled the moment they saw your Fort. Your Dwarves are more terrifying than their goblin overlords.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 09:38:13 am »

Are you sure those werent just human bandits? Were there recruits or that kind of cannon fodder? But on the other hand, I had one siege were goblins used humies as a meatwall...

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 11:13:18 am »

What version are you running? I think armies immediately retreating out of horror is a bug that was patched out a few versions ago...

As for goblins, yes, they do have a fully integrated military, the first in the DF world, and some of them are actually pretty tough. A dwarven recruit who attacked with a few goblins killed one of my fortresses in the first year almost single handedly...

catten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 07:06:15 pm »

So I started a new fortress and, after playing for a while, the message 'A vile force of darkness has come!' appeared.  I was expecting loads of gobbos, and my military was hungering for blood, but only one human squad appeared. 
Is this normal?  Do the gobbos use slaves in battle?

I had a world where it was elves. Every spring, without fail, a vile force of darkness arrived and several squads of elves would zerg rush my defenses. Never did see a goblin. Funny part is, my civ was at war with the elves, but they never sent any armies.

Newtonium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 08:47:28 pm »

Are you sure those werent just human bandits? Were there recruits or that kind of cannon fodder?
They definitely weren't bandits..... and the siege tag was displayed, along with the 'vile force of darkness' message.....

What version are you running? I think armies immediately retreating out of horror is a bug that was patched out a few versions ago...
I'm using the LNP for DF 0.40.08 (is that really old?)  I do keep my corpse stockpile outside, so maybe they caught a whiff of that...?

Incidentally, I just had another goblin 'siege' that consisted of one squad of goblins (about 8 of them) who massacred my animals and then left, without being terrified and without even trying to get close to my fortress.  I don't even know.....

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 10:19:12 pm »

Are you sure those werent just human bandits? Were there recruits or that kind of cannon fodder?
They definitely weren't bandits..... and the siege tag was displayed, along with the 'vile force of darkness' message.....

I'm using the LNP for DF 0.40.08 (is that really old?)  I do keep my corpse stockpile outside, so maybe they caught a whiff of that...?

Incidentally, I just had another goblin 'siege' that consisted of one squad of goblins (about 8 of them) who massacred my animals and then left, without being terrified and without even trying to get close to my fortress.  I don't even know.....
We're on 0.40.19 now, so yeah it's a bit oudated. On 40.08 I also had goblin sieges that just killed a few animals and left, like they were some kind of mobsters making an example or something...