Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 163996 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #555 on: December 18, 2014, 06:55:53 pm »

the use of the word all was just hyperbole, not meant to be taken literally.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:59:03 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 18, 2014, 07:00:51 pm »

Reelya: That is fine, except that any device to move the spaceship faster than light moves space and not the craft itself. The beam engine would, to my understanding, be for slower than light travel only and would likely lack the massive power necessary for use as a weapon. Remember that space is huge so acceleration can be very slow since there is plenty of time to do it. The recoil from an engine being used in this way could also be deadly to everyone on board, if it could fire that intensely.

I am not really saying impossible, but wildly impractical and unlikely.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 18, 2014, 07:03:41 pm »

You question earlier were you asking to explain the difference between hard science fiction and soft science fiction?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 18, 2014, 07:08:55 pm »

Japan might not be the most progressive when it comes to the portrayal of women.

But yes it by far includes them in their media in progressive roles far more often then their western counterparts, as well as female oriented media.

As well the only time you get female only games (or rather games with only female characters) is in the Japanese market, trust me Touhou is not unique in that respect. As well the roles in which they can take are wider as well, no less stereotyped but more defense non-the-less.

It is certainly changing for the west, but not that quickly.

This isn't because Japan is more progressive itself mind you, but more because they market heavily towards women.
I had the same sense, glad to see it confirmed.  I wonder if that's why large-roster JRPGs are so common, which tend to have multiple effective and developed women player characters.

We've managed to mostly avoid those so far. There's also lots of drama about female characters in multiplayer and MMO armor.

Interesting factoid... In Ultima Online there is a chainmail bikini that you can make and wear... and males and females can wear it, it is less effective then flat out plate, and you could cover it up with other layers of clothing as well.

As well to my knowledge no female NPC wears the chainmail bikini.
Quote from: 8-Bit Theater
Thief:  You wear a girdle?
Red Mage: For +3 endurance, I'd wear my own underwear over my armor.

Honestly though, that sounds like the best way to handle a chainmail bikini.  Everyone (male and female) can wear it, but they aren't encouraged to *only* wear it... pretty ideal.

That big WoW back-and-forth was kinda tedious, but I want to make clear: I wasn't saying the sexy armors ought to go, just that they'd be awkward for some people.  Would suck to finally earn an armor and not feel comfortable displaying it because it has prominent revealing gaps.  People should be able to wear the complete (male) armors too if they prefer.  Heh, and vice versa.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 18, 2014, 08:55:44 pm »

Spoiler: @Sci-Fi vs Fantasy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @Vacuum energy stuff (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @Wave Motion Gun (click to show/hide)

Personally I think the best games are ones that let you set different armor visually and gameplay wise. By separating the visual and gameplay aspects of the game it lets you wear your tier 100 +87 armor of skanky shielding and yet you can visually appear to look however you want. If you want your character running around in their underwear or totally covered from head to toe it's your choice, and you aren't limited gameplay wise on what you have to look like.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #560 on: December 18, 2014, 10:26:20 pm »

I've removed some posts and sent out a warning.  I'd also appreciate it if people don't derail the thread.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 19, 2014, 01:16:46 pm »

Tachyons, or at least ones with real mass, look impossible to me given relativity (I can imagine tachyons of a sort without real mass but these could not be used for engines and weapons), and this seems well supported by many physicists; I remember one (Jim al-Khalili) saying that he would eat his underpants live on television if any particle with mass went faster than light. None of the theoretical engines I have seen yet seemed to rely on tachyons (the Q-drive was based on some kind of fluctuations in vacuum energy while the Alcubierre drive warps space itself).

I would not really call it a "hard" science explanation, since it relies on some very dubious ifs, but it does not at all smell of bullshit.

Science fiction is about things which are possible in the vaguest theory, in that case.

Divorcing appearance from utility is a bit silly for role playing purposes or even gameplay itself. Take DF for example. If a dwarf grabs a goblin's helmet and tugs it off him, then the goblin's head is bare and can be smashed with a *steel war hammer*. But if the goblin's armour was invisible, and he only appeared to be wearing a loincloth, the dwarf could not do this, or not as easily anyway, and might not think to do it, instead striking the goblin's invisible armour to little effect. If the game is multiplayer, it could be even worse - imagine shooting an arrow at an apparently naked enemy only to find that she was wearing an invisible cuirass!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:22:57 pm by Urist Uristurister »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 19, 2014, 01:27:53 pm »

Please be a good sport, Toady, and only ban/warn/delete trolls, spammers, and other lowlifes. People trying to discuss theoretical spacecraft engines are not in this group.
That is NOT what he removed. Someone posted an inflammatory thing, and people got mad about it. No spaceships were harmed.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 19, 2014, 01:31:42 pm »

Though at this point, it's more suited for a separate thread rather then in a thread about feminism.
Unless you want to discuss a spaceship powered by equality. In which case, fire away.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 19, 2014, 02:02:08 pm »

That is NOT what he removed. Someone posted an inflammatory thing, and people got mad about it. No spaceships were harmed.

Good. Trolls are fortunately rare here, but they do appear occasionally.

For old times' sake.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 19, 2014, 02:03:21 pm »

Eh, Smeepocket isn't a troll. She just should have made a more polite statement, that's all.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 19, 2014, 02:05:13 pm »

Eh, Smeepocket isn't a troll.
+1. 
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 19, 2014, 02:07:30 pm »

No, she's not a troll at all, just very annoying.

What was the inflammatory statement about? Of course you do not have to give it word for word.

For old times' sake.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 19, 2014, 02:09:21 pm »

What was the inflammatory statement about? Of course you do not have to give it word for word.
It got removed for a reason. Let's just move on.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 19, 2014, 02:11:11 pm »

We know it was removed, but knowing what it actually was helps us move on so we are not left in suspense. I have no intention of arguing about it.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 125