Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 163973 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #525 on: December 18, 2014, 04:21:05 pm »

Sounds terrible, but this discussion has not turned into one about penguins, and while battleships have been mentioned, they are not roaming.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #526 on: December 18, 2014, 04:22:06 pm »

Not yet

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 18, 2014, 04:30:03 pm »

This thread will not turn to penguin discussion on my watch. Well, if it does, it will be very academic.

I still have not really heard back about how in the universe that ion engine/cannon works. Its properties seemed fairly bizarre, and I wonder how I a madman with infinite time and money could build one...
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #528 on: December 18, 2014, 04:32:37 pm »

It operates on the principle that Protoss is OP and mules are balanced, thereby generating incredible amounts of heat kinetic energy given off by angry neckbeards until a blizzard of nerf energy annihilates the target.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 18, 2014, 04:36:14 pm »

Mules have to be fairly balanced, or they would fall over. The exception is if they were to walk around hills only in 1 direction, in which case having legs on 1 side shorter would make a lot of sense until they turn around.

Dadaism is not yet dead.

Was that ion cannon mechanism also true in the cartoon series?

For old times' sake.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 18, 2014, 05:12:02 pm »

I'd rather derail than bans. Anyway, the discussion before was pretty much dead since pretty much the entirety of the "games are unacceptably sexist" camp hasn't been posting.

Can we wait at least a whole day before declaring a discussion dead? I know this thread is fast-paced, but people sleep and work and stuff.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 18, 2014, 05:13:52 pm »

Wouldn't the talking points end up devolving to stuff about 'gamersgate' and the lady that did the kickstarter?  Or am I just behind the times?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 18, 2014, 05:15:22 pm »

We've managed to mostly avoid those so far. There's also lots of drama about female characters in multiplayer and MMO armor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 18, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »

This thread will not turn to penguin discussion on my watch. Well, if it does, it will be very academic.

I still have not really heard back about how in the universe that ion engine/cannon works. Its properties seemed fairly bizarre, and I wonder how I a madman with infinite time and money could build one...
In Starcraft it is just a big regular gun, and fires every 3 minutes or whatever. It's not shown to be linked to the engines in any way. In the show it was in a ship called the Yamato and is something they don't want fire all the time if they can help it, since it knocks a lot of the ships systems offline and takes significant time to charge and dissipate. "Ion Engine" was just a rough comparison using modern tech. The thing is like a huge plasma coil running the length of the ship, so it makes sense that you could aim the energy either forwards or backwards and vary the power level.

Quote from: wikipedia on Space Battleship Yamato
Using Starsha's blueprints, they equip the new ship with a space warp drive, called the "wave motion engine", and a new, incredibly powerful weapon at the bow called the "Wave Motion Gun". The Wave Motion Engine (波動エンジン hadō enjin?) is capable of converting the vacuum of space into tachyon energy, as well as functioning like a normal rocket engine, and providing essentially infinite power to the ship, it enables the Yamato to "ride" the wave of tachyons and travel faster than light. The Wave Motion Gun (波動砲 hadō hō?), also called the Dimensional Wave Motion Explosive Compression Emitter, is the "trump card" of the Yamato that functions by connecting the Wave Motion Engine to the enormous firing gate at the ship's bow, enabling the tachyon energy power of the engine to be fired in a stream directly forwards. Enormously powerful, it can vaporize a fleet of enemy ships with one shot; however, it takes a brief but critical period to charge before firing.

In other words it's a warp engine but you can use space warping to create a charged field and blast that out at enemies in a beam.

But seriously do you make a big deal about dilithium crystals and warp engines in Trek too? Hello, this is science fiction.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:24:00 pm by Reelya »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 18, 2014, 05:19:07 pm »

I'd rather derail than bans. Anyway, the discussion before was pretty much dead since pretty much the entirety of the "games are unacceptably sexist" camp hasn't been posting.

Can we wait at least a whole day before declaring a discussion dead? I know this thread is fast-paced, but people sleep and work and stuff.
It was more the dilution by off-topic shit than it was lack of posting.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 18, 2014, 05:20:15 pm »

We've managed to mostly avoid those so far. There's also lots of drama about female characters in multiplayer and MMO armor.
Ah yes... that mid-riff armor(someone linked a screenshot of it in the last page) with a pointy part designed to stab the wearer when leaning forward/downward.  Epitome of armor design of course.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 18, 2014, 05:25:38 pm »

Japan might not be the most progressive when it comes to the portrayal of women.

But yes it by far includes them in their media in progressive roles far more often then their western counterparts, as well as female oriented media.

As well the only time you get female only games (or rather games with only female characters) is in the Japanese market, trust me Touhou is not unique in that respect. As well the roles in which they can take are wider as well, no less stereotyped but more defense non-the-less.

It is certainly changing for the west, but not that quickly.

This isn't because Japan is more progressive itself mind you, but more because they market heavily towards women.

Interesting factoid... In Ultima Online there is a chainmail bikini that you can make and wear... and males and females can wear it, it is less effective then flat out plate, and you could cover it up with other layers of clothing as well.

As well to my knowledge no female NPC wears the chainmail bikini.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:27:28 pm by Neonivek »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 18, 2014, 05:26:27 pm »

Wouldn't the talking points end up devolving to stuff about 'gamersgate' and the lady that did the kickstarter?  Or am I just behind the times?
I'm 90% sure that Toady doesn't want discussion about GG on these forums. After the last few threads on it got nuked, I'd rather keep GG off this thread. Anyway, it's not related to the depiction of women in games, so it's a derail.
Which kickstarter are you referring to? Anita Sarkeesian? That's a time bomb.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 18, 2014, 05:29:03 pm »

GG could be seen as a derail, arguably a more damaging one to the discussion than purely off topic stuff.

More relevant is something I mentioned in passing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otome_game

An otome game (乙女ゲーム otome gēmu?, literally "girl game") is a story based video game that is targeted towards a female market.

These are marketed and often created by women writers. They mostly fall under the visual novel category, so there's the "is it a real game?" debate. But that can be a harmful argument to have because if you start dividing up 'real' and 'not real' games then this opens the avenue to label large amounts of player base (of which many are female) as 'not real gamers'.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:33:10 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 18, 2014, 05:31:39 pm »

Ohh I should also state that another reason you huge differences in female portrayal is that Japan has a very "behind closed doors" sort of approach to hobbies.

They don't care... so long as you do it in private.

So sceevy videogames are not really objected to for the most part... it is why you can get both the progressive and outright insulting games side by side.

Different culture and all that. Though I am not really going to hold Japan up as a exemplar of women's rights.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 125