Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Is the goblin civ getting weaker?  (Read 5301 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Is the goblin civ getting weaker?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2014, 10:41:41 pm »

Well, they sometimes have demons as leaders, but I think candy is supposed to be nigh-unworkable, and even dwarves have to bend around backwards to make it into anything, so goblins might not be up to the task of forging candy gear... That said, it would certainly make goblin sieges a lot more interesting (and goblin christmas a lot more exciting)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 09:04:28 am »

I love how uncontrolled derailing goes... I ask a question about new siege mechanics, and it goes off to how OP dwarves are, and then how steel was made in the middle ages and onward, then it goes back something to do with HFS.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2014, 11:32:00 am »

Fair enough, steel certainly would hold an edge over other metals (not sure if that's a pun or just a statement). Humans probably should at least have steel weapons, but I still think dwarves would still be the only ones with metalworking skill to make full steel armor and masterworks (particularly outfitting entire squads in the stuff) since it would still be fairly expensive for races that don't bleed iron and breathe coal dust... Other races should have their elites outfitted in the best equipment they can muster, whatever that may be.

Also, I will try to avoid rudeness as well.

Steel plate replaced iron plate in armour during the late mediaeval period because of its superior strength. If Toady's cutoff of 1400 is rigid, then full steel plate was uncommon and most plate was still iron, so your position would be about right. This cutoff would also include early guns and cannon, which I would like to see in DF but have not yet been added.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Headless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 02:18:46 pm »

I love how uncontrolled derailing goes... I ask a question about new siege mechanics, and it goes off to how OP dwarves are, and then how steel was made in the middle ages and onward, then it goes back something to do with HFS.

I think we answered your question right?   

The rest follows from the relative strength of dorfs,  either dorfs are too strong (cause of steel) or gobos are too week (give them steel). 

Which reminds me.  "Conan what is best?"

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 02:29:23 pm »

Well.

-asks an irrelevant question
-complains when derail.
-such shock, so pity, much sarcasm.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 08:38:05 pm »

Steel plate replaced iron plate in armour during the late mediaeval period because of its superior strength. If Toady's cutoff of 1400 is rigid, then full steel plate was uncommon and most plate was still iron, so your position would be about right. This cutoff would also include early guns and cannon, which I would like to see in DF but have not yet been added.
Oh man, I can already imagine people making barrels of gunpowder and stockpiling it throughout their land, then having a lever that literally makes the entire region explode...

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2014, 07:14:34 am »

-complains when derail.
I didn't complain. I just said that it's funny how derailing goes when uncontrolled. Besides, how is a question in the OP irrelevant?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:16:09 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2014, 12:08:30 pm »

Oh man, I can already imagine people making barrels of gunpowder and stockpiling it throughout their land, then having a lever that literally makes the entire region explode...

THis would be very !!fun!! indeed. I really don't understand the lack of gunpowder if the game is based around 1400 or so levels of technology, cannon were in use all across Eurasia by then and were very much established technology. Cannon seem very dwarven as well.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Headless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2014, 01:58:16 pm »

The first time the miners discovered saltpetre I was very exited.  Then disappointed when I discovered it wasn't good for anything.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2014, 05:11:23 pm »

Deamons should have access to candy.  Goblin champions should have candy gear.

1) It should not be necessary to give goblins access to candy in order for them to pose any sort of challenge to steel-clad dwarves. That's rather extreme. And there are many other ways to make goblins stronger.

2) According to lore, didn't the gods use candy to deal with the clowns? It doesn't make much sense that the clowns could play with it and use it to make themselves or their playmates stronger.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2014, 05:19:40 pm »

Spoiler: spoiler (click to show/hide)

Compare the surface world and underworld to Arcanus and Myrror from MoM.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 05:53:38 pm »

Personally I think that a way to make demons stronger is simple:

1. Allow weaker and thinner constructed and natural walls to be demolished by creatures of sufficient size, including demons of course.
2. Make "trapavoid" literally mean avoiding the traps by not walking through the tiles, not just magically taking no damage from them. If they do end up in the traps, they should take some damage based on their natural armour (hide, shell, scales) and the parts hit. Given their size and strength, this would not be very much.
3. Increase the strength of their hide, and shells or scales if they have them.
4. Rework dwarven weapons so that legendary dwarves can no longer perform physically impossible feats like bisecting beasts and demons with short swords too short to do that task, even with infinite strength (it is like trying to bisect a watermelon in one strike with a very short penknife). I have already mentioned this in a different thread, but weapon combat really needs reworking since weapon contact area is far too big, resulting in stupid things like this.

For old times' sake.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2014, 06:01:31 pm »

Rework dwarven weapons so that legendary dwarves can no longer perform physically impossible feats like bisecting beasts and demons with short swords too short to do that task, even with infinite strength (it is like trying to bisect a watermelon in one strike with a very short penknife). I have already mentioned this in a different thread, but weapon combat really needs reworking since weapon contact area is far too big, resulting in stupid things like this.
But those things really would be possible with enough force. Nothing is infinitely tough.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2014, 06:08:29 pm »

Take an adamantine short sword, and slash at a gorilla's waste. God job! You've now bisected it.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2014, 06:17:39 pm »

Rework dwarven weapons so that legendary dwarves can no longer perform physically impossible feats like bisecting beasts and demons with short swords too short to do that task, even with infinite strength (it is like trying to bisect a watermelon in one strike with a very short penknife). I have already mentioned this in a different thread, but weapon combat really needs reworking since weapon contact area is far too big, resulting in stupid things like this.
But those things really would be possible with enough force. Nothing is infinitely tough.
Really it depends on how thick a demon is vs how long a short sword is, short swords are generally about 2 feet long as far as I know, and as long as a demon isn't more than 3-4 feet thick,  cutting deeply enough to "bisect" it isn't out of the question (presumably if they are still held together by a flap of skin it still counts as bisected)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4