Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does anyone use After Effects? I'm having a strange problem  (Read 771 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does anyone use After Effects? I'm having a strange problem
« on: December 11, 2014, 12:15:51 pm »

Edit: Managed to fix it. I don't know why, but the first time I installed AE, even though I selected all of the optional extras, it just didn't install the presets for some reason. I had no Presets folder at all. So I went back into the setup program and reinstalled with just the presets extra selected, and this time, it installed them! So if you're reading this from a frustrated Google search or whatever, try reinstalling. It won't mess up your current installation or project files.

-

Thanks for looking. I'm using CS5.5 and I'm just learning the basics. Whilst running through a series of beginner tutorials, the instructor started using 'animation presets', and I realised that I don't appear to have any. Whilst trying to figure out what the problem was, I discovered that almost none of the items in my Help menu function at all.

In the Help menu, there's one item called "Animation presets..." that I was hoping might shed some light on my initial problem, but clicking it doesn't do anything. Clicking "After Effects help..." doesn't either, nor does "Scripting help...", "Expression reference...", "Effect reference...", "Keyboard shortcuts...", or "After Effects Support Center...".

However, "Send Feedback" does work, insofar as it gives me an error message: "Unable to display web page. No application is associated with the specified file for this operation." None of the other inoperable menu items display this message, though. They simply don't do anything.

Other Help menu items do work. I am able to bring up the About splash, Product Registration screen and Updates box.

I don't really mind that the Help menus don't work, but I imagine it might have something to do with why I don't appear to have any Animation Presets in my "Effects & Presets" panel. Any clues?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:57:25 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.