Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 59

Author Topic: The Mind: Day 4 - Finale  (Read 112691 times)

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Mind: Alone in the forest
« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2014, 02:16:16 am »

"Copy that, Mark. Make sure you're armed with something to defend yourself with. Non-lethal, if you don't mind."
"received I've got a taser and conventional guns if anything goes wrong."
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2014, 02:24:50 am »

((I've nothing else to do. Though...))
Dick around the base. Don't do anything destructive, but vaguely annoy people.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2014, 02:56:12 am »

Turn my body so I'm facing the dog while unholstering my pistol, time the release and let go of the vine, using the fall and my body weight to kick him in the mouth with both feet as hard as I can. Whatever happens when I land, continue to shoot him until he's not moving anymore.

E: Oh, and if it's possible to do this hands-free and without undue distraction on my char's part as she performs the above maneuver, open my comm so everyone can hear the gunshots/struggling.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:05:30 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2014, 06:30:02 am »

Look through the windows to maybe spot the signal sender.

You find a window to look through into general direction of origin of signal but cant really see anything besides Mark flying above and around. Cameras however reveal there is something on ground below him.

on security comns

"Congrats Jackson, I'm scouting the radar source as we speak so I cant do anything in the power change over taking place. Just thought I would let you know"

Open up radar equipment on the flyer and try to narrow the location of the source down. Keep watch on the animals as I have a suspicion they are more then meets the eyes.

Single person flyers doesn't have equipment for detecting radar pings. However it does have a radio, so with assistance communications officer you two manage to triangulate location down. And in the location of signal there's nothing but those predators. Still eating.

I thank you for playing my character faithfully while I was unable to participate. (Still unable, just commenting. Have roughly 10mb left.)

(Thank you, I'll do my best.
Speaking about that...)

Cromwell arrests Theron and starts taking him to whatever we have for holding cells

While man-handling his former superior with one hand, he flicks through his comma set with the other.

"Copy that, Mark. Make sure you're armed with something to defend yourself with. Non-lethal, if you don't mind."
He flips back to another channel, to Research.
"We can decide what to do with him later, I'm detaining him now. Say, you got a spare containment room down there I can stick him in for now?"

Theron doesn't go down easy, but you manage to subdue him.

"Don't you see! It's already affecting you all, making you go all nuts! This is why this planet sould be blown up! IT WILL BE END OF THE MANKIND!!" Theron shouts as you drag him away.

There isn't really any holding cells so you make one out of sample containers meant for bigger creatures. By removing his access codes you essentially imprison him behind two very strong doors separated with skin melting disinfection chamber. Of course there's one more door to outside, but it cannot be opened from inside and is meant to hold creatures far stronger than humans.

Keep doing the thing.

Inspection is done, you are in world of disappointment. These birds do not have such levels of adaptability you were expecting from them. You discovered that two of them actually share same parents and they do not have any meaningful differences. Maybe you should consult The Report again?

((I've nothing else to do. Though...))
Dick around the base. Don't do anything destructive, but vaguely annoy people.

(Admittedly. Let's see if we can get someone injured for you.)

You dick around, and begin self destructive road to alienate yourself from everybody you know. You can already see your approval rating coming down. And that particular cafeteria lady isn't smiling to you anymore...

Turn my body so I'm facing the dog while unholstering my pistol, time the release and let go of the vine, using the fall and my body weight to kick him in the mouth with both feet as hard as I can. Whatever happens when I land, continue to shoot him until he's not moving anymore.

E: Oh, and if it's possible to do this hands-free and without undue distraction on my char's part as she performs the above maneuver, open my comm so everyone can hear the gunshots/struggling.

You do that. Or at least you try. Timing your drop precisely is harder than you expected and you hit the dog on shoulder. It doesn't throw you off the balance so you manage land relatively well and take few running steps away before turning back to the dog. Looks like it has taken more damage since it limps slightly. You level your pistol and shoot it. Miss. Second shot hits it on hind leg. You are ready to shoot again when something small falls on your face and your vision goes black with a zap. Damn, somthing busted cameras. You try to remove screens blocking your manual vision but there's something on your face. Your fingers tingle and twitch unpleasantly and then you are knocked over. Feels like the doggy is trying to bite your thighs.

This is not your day, it seems.

(Team channel is always open when you are wearing enviro-suit unless stated otherwise. Also the helmet functions like in Mk suits in Einsteinian Roulette, cameras on front feeding data on displays front of your eyes. There's no actual faceplate though, but the displays can be flipped to side with manual switch.)

> Everyone else can hear gunshots through the radio followed by second of white noise. Then silence.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Currently we have following samples on ship:
* Springy grass (Partially studied)
* Soil samples (Studied) - Awaiting reaction from Geo teams.
* Seven corpses of large four eyed birds (Studied)
** Two almost intact
* Living aquatic creature in a water tank. (Not studied)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2014, 06:56:52 am »

Return to the lab and take a tissue sample from the aquatic thingimabob and runt tests, on human tissue and whatnot.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2014, 07:24:33 am »

"I can confirm that the radio pings are coming from a group of predators, the ones that got the prey to walk to them, the ability's might be related..."

Mark is cut of by gunshots before silence

"I heard shots in the forest moving to rescue what ever poor sap is there. Command can you locate all active suits and feed me the location of the gun shots broadcast."

Locate and go to gunshots, rescue the idiot that went out alone on the unexplored planet without big guns
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2014, 08:57:50 am »

Now that internal threats are handled....
Rush to the command center and triangulate Guni's position to patch it through to Mark.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2014, 11:17:57 am »

Reread The Report.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2014, 12:43:18 pm »

After being notified of the evident struggle, Pendle grabs some emergency medical supplies (Enough to stabilize the patient; full treatment will occur at base, as it'd likely be heavy), and a side arm, then heads for the point that the signal was found to be from.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2014, 01:09:14 pm »

Kick wildly at where I think the dog is, remove my helmet with one hand and throw it far away from me. Aim carefully and finish that dog with my next shot.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 24, 2014, 06:52:34 am »

Return to the lab and take a tissue sample from the aquatic thingimabob and runt tests, on human tissue and whatnot.

Getting hold of that thing is not easy as it squits enough ink to completely blacken its tank, but finally you get hold of it long enough to get your sample. Results from it are pretty similar to your previous test, only handful of bacterias survives in human tissue and are swiftly handled by immune system although there's one that does not only survive but also flourishes. It seems to prefer commensalistic relationship with human tissue like so many other earth bacterias does. It is mostly harmless, but the other few probably need some sort of vaccine to help immune system deal with them faster.

Reread The Report.

The Report is less a written report and more a massive data dump from probe's sensors with helpful notes from other people. It contains a lot of data about this solar system, all planetary bodies, their orbits, mass and other readings. You ignore it all and navigate to the part that interests you most, presence of life. Hmm, hmm... ah, there! Large creatures with incredible variance in physique! Although... now that you are reading it again, it could also mean just multiple different species. And the more you read it the more likely the latter interpretation seems.

Kick wildly at where I think the dog is, remove my helmet with one hand and throw it far away from me. Aim carefully and finish that dog with my next shot.

It's hard to kick it from this position but you do manage to get akward knee kick in. And judging by yelp it makes you probably hit it somewhere sensitive, maybe even the shoulder you wounded earlier. Not that it really matters since now it bites really hard on the leg you kicked it with, effectively pinning both your legs down. Enviro-suit withstands its efforts to gnaw throught, but you will most definitely get nasty bruises.

You detach the helmet, throw it away and place barrel of your gun right next to skull of the wolf-creature. There's no way to miss it from this distance and moment later bits of its brain decorates the moss around. "Safe" you whisper with relief.

You notice something small and blue rocketing towards your head from direction you threw your helmet and just barely manage raise an arm to block it. Your arm twitches and goes numb with audible crackling. You can't feel it but it still moves. Then another one dives from from up front. This one you manage to swat away with your pistol and identify it as a small bird, azure/turquoise in color.

You don't see the third one coming, but rather feel your hair raising up. Half second later pain strikes through your skull and you lose your consciousness.

Now that internal threats are handled....
Rush to the command center and triangulate Guni's position to patch it through to Mark.

Guni's suit is no longer sending signal but her flyer is. Looks like it is right next to the forest. You get its coordinates and send it to Mark.

"I can confirm that the radio pings are coming from a group of predators, the ones that got the prey to walk to them, the ability's might be related..."

Mark is cut of by gunshots before silence

"I heard shots in the forest moving to rescue what ever poor sap is there. Command can you locate all active suits and feed me the location of the gun shots broadcast."

Locate and go to gunshots, rescue the idiot that went out alone on the unexplored planet without big guns

Cromwell gives you location of Guni's flyer, right on edge of forest. You land next to it but do not see Guni anywhere, that fool probably wandered into the forest... Better find her quickly before she gets eaten. You know from experience that even smallest things can kill big animals. When going alone into forest one should be properly prepared, carrying various antidotes for possible poisonous animals, heavy weapons in case something big mistakes you for dinner. All you have with you is weapons, taser pistol, smg and small gauss rifle. Less than optimal, but is must do. Saving lives takes priority over preparation.

Luckily to you it doesn't take long to find her. The situation is interesting; there is a wolf-like creature laying on her legs, missing part of its skull, and another one laying few meters away, equally dead. A small container over there and her helmet in opposite direction. A quick check proves that she's alive, but unconscious. You pull the creature off her and inspect her legs. Looks like the suit did its job protecting her, there's no holes or tears.

After being notified of the evident struggle, Pendle grabs some emergency medical supplies (Enough to stabilize the patient; full treatment will occur at base, as it'd likely be heavy), and a side arm, then heads for the point that the signal was found to be from.

You grab extended first aid kit and are almost in airlock when an idea occurs to you. Maybe it would be better to take a ground vehicle rather than just run all the way over there? And in worst care you'll have a corpse to deal with. You sop on your heels and run to hangar. There you demand an ATV and trailer for transporting wounded people. Both are prepared for you and soon you are driving towards the forest. Guided by Mark's signal you quickly find them both. After very quick and very basic inspection you reach same conclusion as Mark did; she's alive, no external wounds and no broken bones. Situation is much better than you feared, but her lack of helmet makes you very, very worried.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Currently we have following samples on ship:
* Springy grass (Partially studied)
* Soil samples (Studied) - Awaiting reaction from Geo teams.
* Seven corpses of large four eyed birds (Studied)
* Living aquatic creature in a water tank. (Not studied)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 24, 2014, 07:52:20 am »

Repeat the spam to the doctor for more vaccines while being completely oblivious of anything. Now for a different technique. Take a human sample and put it ti the jar with the aquatic animal.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2014, 11:38:20 am »

Repeat the spam to the doctor for more vaccines while being completely oblivious of anything. Now for a different technique. Take a human sample and put it ti the jar with the aquatic animal.
"God dammit, Guni is possibly fatally ill with unknown bacteria, could be suffering the effects of poison, could be suffering from a parasite delivered by something's bite, or could be suffering some sort of internal bleeding, if these thing's bites are strong enough, so shut up for just a few minutes."
Load Guni's body into the trailer, and ride like hell back to the base. Instruct Cromwell or Markus to try and return one of the wolf corpses.  Instruct a nurse at base to prepare a blood test for when I arrive.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2014, 11:57:50 am »

Struggle! Don't be unconscious!

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2014, 12:28:14 pm »

Ah well. Start looking into how certain parts of DNA could be adapted for human use through either our own mutation or domestication.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 59