Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Caravaneer 2  (Read 10124 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Caravaneer 2
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 03:01:50 pm »

I had a lot of trouble finding out what trade routes were profitable in non-campaign.  Like, one sold wool, another produced yarn, and yet I lost money on the trade...

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 04:05:19 pm »

I had a lot of trouble finding out what trade routes were profitable in non-campaign.  Like, one sold wool, another produced yarn, and yet I lost money on the trade...

Don't buy yarn, trade back the meat. ;)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 05:07:04 pm »

I'm playing the sandbox mode, because I really don't care about the story here, just want to be some random guy who trades and fights...
But the first steps look ..hard. Obviously I can't take on marauders yet so I'm just avoiding them, and my only profit yet comes from trading textile and trousers. But the trousers factory seems to produce 1 trouser/year :D so I end up making the trip back pretty much empty handed.

2 physical
8 agility
8 accuracy
2 strength

You can kite the Drekar bands by punching twice and retreating if they don't have crossbows, and shoot the crossbows with pistol. You'll get leather jackets which sell for 8000 in the drekkar town after a good kiting session.
Sandbox doesn't start you in the tribal/newbie area.  It starts you in the 2nd area in difficulty/progression and you won't know where any of the tribal locations are.  So you'll have to dodge raiders while stumbling around to find the tribals.
All-in-all, going along with the story is totally optional in story mode.  You can just not bother to talk to anyone and do the trading and fighting for as long as you wish.  So you can build your merchant fortunes on the back of the tribals and the corpses of the Drekar safely before stumbling out to the wider world. (You won't know location of outside towns without doing some quests...)  Tribals mercs are way cheaper(and lower stats) and you can also pick up slaves if you like.

Sandbox start will never work with 8-1-1-10.  The low AP and accuracy makes fighting lethal against even Rovers...  Plus, with low accuracy = blind as bat on world map...  Also the slow speed.  Can't really choose your battles.

You can carry just '1' of a trade good around and it'll automatically record the sales price in your log. You can use that for later reference, instead of stumbling around, expecting to sell the goods somewhere random at a profit.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 12:00:53 pm »

2 physical
8 agility
8 accuracy
2 strength (presumbaly that laso one is intelligence, but it doesn't matter because they're both 2 --a1s' note)
Sandbox start will never work with 8-1-1-10.  The low AP and accuracy makes fighting lethal against even Rovers...  Plus, with low accuracy = blind as bat on world map...  Also the slow speed.  Can't really choose your battles.
He didn't say 8-1-1-10, he said 2-8-8-2. Agility is very much OP in this game, so having 8 (or 10, if you think you can spare the points) is a pretty good idea. Intelligence actually sounds like the dump stat, if anything.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 12:07:57 pm »

Huh. Again?

In the first one, the best build is 8-8-8-1 because Intelligence was abysmal since it only affected Veterinary, Doctor and Mechanic skills, as well as a tiny, tiny increase to the growth rate of those skills, and they're basically useless, since it's very easy to get money to afford a doctor, vet or mechanic in any town you're in.

Caravaneer 2 - it's much harder to get money for doctors and the like - even the heal at the beginning of sandbox will take a hefty chunk out of your starting cash.

fakeedit: fixed, physical does in fact affect HP.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:15:39 pm by Baneling »
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 12:25:18 pm »

Ah, yea, that is why I mentioned the 8-1-1-10 stat in its own paragraph... It is what it is based on the fact that the main PC can keep on learning forever.

HP(Physical) and Speed(Agility) never increases.  But, speed won't matter once you get a horse or better to ride on.
You can increase AP and accuracy of attacks by simply fighting in battles over the long term.  (Int is supposed to increase the rate you improve... everything improvable.  Its just a tiny bit harder early on.)

2-8-8-2... well that is 40 HP.  A stray crit with a hand crossbow can kill you dead in 1 hit, even with leather jacket on. 
Fun little example from last night, running around in a 3 battle marathon versus Drekar... on the 2nd battle, my main character is knocked down to 26 HP while my crew is doing better.  I saved after the 2nd battle to fight the 3rd.  I handily destroy the melee guys, but... near the end of the battle, my main character gets shot and dies.(Seriously, they plink at protagonist(with leather jacket) for no damage during the whole beginning of battle... then crit.)  I reload and the same thing happens 2 more times.

Each point in Physical = 20 HP

(I'm a rambler sometimes... apparently.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:31:59 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 03:12:48 pm »

I originally started my game just intending to try things out, so I just randomized everything. My stats are 6-4-7-3, and my guy's name is Bon Jovi Jabowe, and he rocks a spiked mohawk and Fu Manchu 'stache. He can take a few hits and he's pretty good with a crossbow.

I'm also joined by Tonanjese (3-4-5-5), a strange mulleted woman who's been with me since nearly the beginning; Camel (3-3-5-6), a dude with a the underpart of his beard died blue who's kinda crap in most respects, but has the lowest food and water requirements of anyone in the group; and Ber (4-4-4-6), a dude with a weird topknot thing and a disgusting mustache, but he has the most carrying capacity of my mercs and gets paid nearly half of what the others get individually, so I can't complain yet.

We're also joined by Gerald the Donkey (we'd been traveling with him long enough that I figured he deserved some sort of name, since that's apparently an option), a young donkey who may not be able to haul as much as other donkeys I've seen, but he has very low forage and water requirements, and is a very valued member of the company. We've also recently been joined by a male and female pair of goats (since I realized we can afford the upkeep and they produce some valuable products), and just now looking at it I see that the female is pregnant!

This is a great game.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 04:10:10 pm »

I played this back in August. I notice it has DLC now, what other changes happened since then? Do they have a change log somewhere? I couldn't find one.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 [2]