Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Archenemy/nemesis of player adventurer  (Read 2461 times)

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Archenemy/nemesis of player adventurer
« on: December 07, 2014, 11:57:11 am »

I think it would be cool if at a certain point in adventure mode there was an archenemy/nemesis of the player character that actively sought out to fight/ambush/foil the plans of the player character. For lawfull characters this could take the form of a mastermind-bandit leader who resents the players chivalrous actions and for a bandit/unlawful player (when that role is fleshed out more) this could take the form of a zealous sheif/paladin/bounty-hunter who has a personal mission to hunt down the player.

Right now the majority of adventure mode consists of the player character strategically planning how they are going to engage an enemy site and under what conditions and in which order the differant sites will be dealt with. Having a persistent enemy that followed the player around the world and was dangerous and unpredictable would add alot to the game.

At some point once you gain enough fame or infamy you could attract the ire of this nemesis person. It would be cool if they were a highly skilled fighter with full armor and excellent weapons at the masterwork or artifact level. The nemesis would feel like a heavy challenge to the player to the point where the player felt like they would be at a disadvantage in an open fight and that the player would have to ty to think of some way to engage the nemesis under conditions that would favor the player.

The player coming upon excellent weapons or great armor early on in the game could speed up the time until the nemesis started to hunt them or if the player was already maxed out then the nemesis would be super-maxed out with superhuman stats, a large group of followers, and full armor and weapons of steel/divine metal/adamantine. The feeling that the player was at a disadvantage in an open fight would be a crucial part of the dynamic and would be necessary for the player to feel fear and to feel as though they have to outwit the nemesis.

This nemesis could try to interfere with the players plans or kill them in a number of ways such as tracking them and tying to assasinate them while they are sleeping, attacking them from behind while the player is fighting other enemies at some site, or the nemesis could gather a group of followers and wait in ambush to surround and mount a surprise attack against the player. The player could be forewarned about the nemesis by villagers or it could come as a total suprise.

This would make the game a lot more dynamic. The majority of the players fights are not defensive except for boogymen and animal attacks. I think with a game like DF where you interact with the world so intricately and can do so many things the gameplay would be greatly enhanced by an enemy that the player felt threatened by, and one that they had to outsmart and carefully engage rather then take on in a straightforward fight.

If anyone has any thoughts on this or ideas to add feel free to share.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Archenemy/nemesis of player adventurer
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 12:00:43 pm »

One problem: Stab him in the throat with a knife, there goes that fun. I like idea though, just your nemisis shouldn't pursue you himself. Mercenaries, bounty hunters, hired soldiers, send those after you. One big goal would be to kill him/her.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 12:13:14 pm »

One problem: Stab him in the throat with a knife, there goes that fun. I like idea though, just your nemisis shouldn't pursue you himself. Mercenaries, bounty hunters, hired soldiers, send those after you. One big goal would be to kill him/her.

In the idea I had, the player would be outmatched against the nemesis in direct combat to the point where attempting to fight them or stab them in the throat would likely result in the player being killed. The option would be left open to the player to try to do that but it would be extremely difficult and would feel like a huge accomplishment if achieved. This would make it unlikely that the player would just kill him and end the threat right away.

It is a good point though that the nemesis would not always have to be there himself. If enough groups of bandits attacking the player saying "Olaf Trestlefeared sent us" it would make the player want to track him down.

Also it would be cool if necromancers behaved in this manner and tracked down and attacked the player with a horde of zombies once they felt like they could be threated by the player.

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 12:17:56 pm »

Also I might add that there could be differant types of archenemies in that some would greatly outmatch the player and thus would seek to kill the player themselves where others would be more of a match for the player and thus would try to get his henchmen to do what the nemesis knew he might not be able to do himself.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 12:21:49 pm »

At novice-proficient in a few skills, bandits would be worried about you, and attack if you're near their camp.  At talented-professional, you gain your nemesis. At accomplished-legendary, maybe envoys from the human counts, dukes, and monarchs would approach you, offering you ownership os such and such plains, and the title of champion. If you reject, they attack. If you accept the title, assassins attack you along with bandits and things your nemesis send at you.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 12:22:45 pm »

It's all fun and games until your holodeck villain takes over the Enterprise.

I like this idea, but there's really no reason for it to be limited to adventurers.  A higher-level grudge, if you will.  An NPC king can have a rival trying to ruin him.  In fact, said king would probably hire the adventurer to deal with the rival.  There's also no reason why it should limited to one rival (Batman would love to be able to concentrate on a single rival), although a character should probably be limited to being the rival for only one person.

I spend my time in Fort mode, though I have seen cases in Legends mode of people hunting down those harmed their loved ones.  If rivals are already a thing, then it's more a case of upping the strategizing of rivals to incorporate "enemy of my enemy" alliances.

(I've been using the term "rival" because "nemesis" already has a technical definition within the game.  It tracks relationships between on-screen creatures and off-screen historical figures, and doesn't really have anything to do with being enemies.)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 01:11:18 pm »

Yes, various high-profile NPC's could have various vendettas/archenemies of there own, with the player potentially playing a role in it with the result being that whoever the player helps with vendettas/rivalries becomes closer to the player while there enemies are more likely to become enemies of the player

This could be separate from the normal war-related orders you would be given serving a lord and would instead be personal. People technically on your side in terms of which kingdom you belong to could still become your archenemy if you provoke them enough.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 03:55:41 pm »

In the idea I had, the player would be outmatched against the nemesis in direct combat to the point where attempting to fight them or stab them in the throat would likely result in the player being killed. The option would be left open to the player to try to do that but it would be extremely difficult and would feel like a huge accomplishment if achieved. This would make it unlikely that the player would just kill him and end the threat right away.

It is a good point though that the nemesis would not always have to be there himself. If enough groups of bandits attacking the player saying "Olaf Trestlefeared sent us" it would make the player want to track him down.

Also it would be cool if necromancers behaved in this manner and tracked down and attacked the player with a horde of zombies once they felt like they could be threated by the player.
The problem is, in open fights currently if you get behind an opponent it's game over, since guaranteed hit against the throat/head, and getting behind opponents happens relatively easily, through dodges.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 03:27:53 pm »

Historical figures actually caring about what other people do and doing something about it?
Please.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 04:40:54 pm »

I'd absolutely love making enemies, but it should happen for a reason instead of someone randomly deciding to dedicate their life on opposing a random dude. Fortunately, this sounds precisely like what Toady is planning to do.

Leaders of groups you oppose could take personal interest in you, relatives of your victims may want revenge, and even petty nobles you snub may want you brought down a peg. Ideally this wouldn't mean just fights either - a bitter guy who spits in your beer when you're not watching or a town crier who plays down your deeds would be examples of people who hate you but know they wouldn't stand a chance in combat.

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 08:26:18 pm »

I'd absolutely love making enemies, but it should happen for a reason instead of someone randomly deciding to dedicate their life on opposing a random dude. Fortunately, this sounds precisely like what Toady is planning to do.

Leaders of groups you oppose could take personal interest in you, relatives of your victims may want revenge, and even petty nobles you snub may want you brought down a peg. Ideally this wouldn't mean just fights either - a bitter guy who spits in your beer when you're not watching or a town crier who plays down your deeds would be examples of people who hate you but know they wouldn't stand a chance in combat.

All of these would be good to have in the game but it would still make sense for people to target you once you reach a certain amount of renown even if you havnt directly interacted with them.

For example a necromancer might think "gee, I hear that one dudes been slaying monsters left and right, it's only a matter of time before he comes to slay me and my zombies at the request of the local lord, I'd better take the fight to him now and catch him off guard".

Once you become famous throughout the land for killing monsters and evil-doers, people who fall under the later category would feel threatened by you, especially ones that have plans that you would oppose if they tried to carry them out such as them taking over a kingdom or the world.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 08:29:11 pm »

One day, but the game is not ready yet.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 01:57:59 am »

One day, but the game is not ready yet.

For most of the stuff in my first post yeah but still there is enough already in place to facilitate people like necromancers or powerful bandits coming after you.

The game already tracks your general reputation/renown, solo enemies and groups of enemies move on the map, tracking is in place in addition to asking for the location of people (which NPC's could potentially do). With a little bit more put into the game that allowed these enemies to travel for long distances and follow you for multiple days on end it would be enough for these types of enemy to track you down and attack you every now and then.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 05:43:58 am »

They lack motive, staying power, balance, or 'fairness'.

I play almost exclusively kneecapped adventurers, why is this a thing I have to deal with on top of boogeymen?

One day, when chatacters can properly have proper situational assessment and motives.  and the economy isnt buggered up.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 10:34:00 am »

I like this idea and really could be taken so many different ways.  Could end up having more than 1 nemesis, groups, civilizations, or even megabeasts and demons/angels wanting to hunt you down.  If you are bad could end up like how NPC's view night creatures and send other NPC's to "bring you to justice".  Bring's Drizzt to mind honestly, where one unusual character(you're player character) becomes more and more famous, attracting a wider range of ire, competition, or jealousy from others.
Pages: [1] 2