Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Asking to stop being a hearthperson  (Read 3582 times)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Asking to stop being a hearthperson
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:12:13 pm »

I was playing adventurer mode and found that there were no quests that weren't far to the south or whatever so I considered wandering around to find something interesting. However, I was hoping to have a character that acted at least mostly realistically so I wasn't going to just wander away from the mead hall and my lord never to return. I tried to ask the lord if I could stop being a hearthperson or something, but found no such option. I know this won't matter to most people as being a hearthperson has no responsibilities and even if it did you could probably just kill the lord and not get in any trouble for it, but if hearthpersons ever get expanded or if someone ever wants to have a character non-mysteriously leave the service of a lord I think this would be a good addition.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Asking to stop being a hearthperson
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 11:55:08 am »

Yes

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 02:16:29 pm »

Isn't that the kind of thing that'll get you killed in feudal societies?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 03:09:10 pm »

Dwarf fortress is supposed to be set roughly in the 14th century, which is pretty much exactly when serfdom as a system fell apart, due to the Black Death. The labor shortage created by it gave peasants more leverage and there was no longer a way to enforce their service in a bondage capacity. So they basically became free agents. Who largely did the same sorts of things for a living, but weren't BEHOLDEN to serving the lord as if slaves, instead only doing so because they needed to make a living and they needed the  lord's protection, etc. This trend started before the plague, but that sealed the deal.

Since there is no Black Death in the randomly generated DF worlds, and since it is right on the historical cusp of the Earth analogy, it's completely ambiguous whether a serf versus a "free agent" type society would apply to dwarves in DF as a social analogy.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:46:38 pm »

Dwarf fortress is supposed to be set roughly in the 14th century, which is pretty much exactly when serfdom as a system fell apart, due to the Black Death. The labor shortage created by it gave peasants more leverage and there was no longer a way to enforce their service in a bondage capacity. So they basically became free agents. Who largely did the same sorts of things for a living, but weren't BEHOLDEN to serving the lord as if slaves, instead only doing so because they needed to make a living and they needed the  lord's protection, etc. This trend started before the plague, but that sealed the deal.

Since there is no Black Death in the randomly generated DF worlds, and since it is right on the historical cusp of the Earth analogy, it's completely ambiguous whether a serf versus a "free agent" type society would apply to dwarves in DF as a social analogy.

Ehh, serfdom I don't think as a general system ended until closer to the late 17th century, or early 18th century with ideas of liberty spreading (ie: French Revolution). Granted, it wasn't as all powerful as it had been, but I believe it still existed until closer to that time. I could be wrong but I think it was the death of many monarchies and rise of republics/democracy that ended serfdom. I may be thinking more along the lines of peasantry however.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Holomanga

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 02:58:40 pm »

Given how often nobles suffer... ahem... "accidents" (how was I meant to know what that lever did?), they would probably try not to exert that much authority over their people in DF.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 03:01:03 pm »

Id like an option to create a world, have it 'destroyed' in some great apocolypse, and then restart history using the ruins.  The survivors or 'pregenned seeds' could rebuild.

The bet part is, if you could run that on you computer, you'd get 'Eras'.  And endgame scenerio would means different things to the new world.
  -Meteors
  -Demons got out
  -Flood
  -Volcanic eruption
  -Plague
  -Zombies
  -etc.

All mean different things.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 03:02:56 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 11:04:05 am »

Id like an option to create a world, have it 'destroyed' in some great apocolypse, and then restart history using the ruins.  The survivors or 'pregenned seeds' could rebuild.

The bet part is, if you could run that on you computer, you'd get 'Eras'.  And endgame scenerio would means different things to the new world.
  -Meteors
  -Demons got out
  -Flood
  -Volcanic eruption
  -Plague
  -Zombies
  -etc.

All mean different things.
That is a huge change, you'd be better off modding each of those scenarios. Although I've read some stuff where Toady described what he wants to do with magic and end of world stuff like that isn't all that unlikely.