Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: "What exactly is a game?" Thread  (Read 8077 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "What exactly is a game?" Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2014, 07:15:20 pm »

"Interactive recreational activity" is the definition for game then? So it's twitter and facebook are actually games?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2014, 07:17:28 pm »

Interaction is necessary for a game me think. What level of interaction is the key to finding a definition.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2014, 07:22:15 pm »

If you look at how much time people spend playing using Facebook and how addicted they are to it...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2014, 07:24:56 pm »

"Interactive recreational activity" is the definition for game then? So it's twitter and facebook are actually games?

What about Choir? You can even enjoy I and get judged on your performance!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2014, 07:31:09 pm »

Yes, actually, twitter at least is. Twitter has intentional, arbitrary rules to make things more interesting in the form of its character limit. It also has a score in the form of a follower count.

Demanding that games adhere to some stunted genre tropes from the 1980s is not only ridiculous, but actively limiting what we can get out of them.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2014, 07:49:19 pm »

So, I'd like to propose a definition for "game": A "Game" is an interactive experience in which someone (or a team) attempts to complete a challenge, and Wins, Loses, or fails to progress based on their decisions, for entertainment.
This may be what you like to see in a game, but it doesn't fit the common definition at all so I don't see why anyone else should accept it.  As you point out it excludes luck-based board games, and when kids play house or something it's called a game even though there's no competitive aspect to it.  As you've said upthread your definition also implies that something like Minecraft isn't a game, even though everyone regards it as one.
Yes, I'd regard these as issues with my proposed definition. The purpose of this thread is to improve that definition, no? What do you think of the change from AND to OR?

I think the only sensible definition for videogames is "an interactive piece of digital media", because that fits what a "game" is in common parlance.
That's definitely not good enough: It's exactly the problematic definition that leads to "gamers" buying Dear Esther and getting disappointed! That's why we started this discussion in the first place. Not to mention, "interactive piece of digital media" includes Twitter, which is not a game in anyone's common parlance (and doesn't fit my decision because it lacks goals, success or failure). It also excludes poker, chess, football, and anything else that is not digital.

English is recursively defined. What do you want?
To mitigate, as much as possible, the ambiguity caused by these recursive definitions.

So far, based on our discussion, I propose an updated definition:
A "Game" is an interactive experience in which someone (or a team) attempts to complete a challenge, and Wins, Loses, or fails, OR otherwise make decisions to attempt a particular outcome, for entertainment. This new definition includes everything the old one did, with the addition of Candyland, Flipping coins, and choose your own adventure stories. The phrase "for a particular outcome" replaces my previous use of "interesting": It distinguishes choices where you are given information and care about your decision, and keeps them in the definition, while it keeps the "decision" made between walking down two paths in Dear Esther out, because you aren't really attempting to get one outcome over another when you do that.

I should also repost the other definitions that are relevant:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2014, 07:55:48 pm »

Yes, actually, twitter at least is. Twitter has intentional, arbitrary rules to make things more interesting in the form of its character limit. It also has a score in the form of a follower count.
I suppose you could make a game of trying to get as many followers as possible, but it's definitely not the sole or explicit purpose of Twitter. In fact, what Twitter DEFINITELY is, is a communication tool.
Demanding that games adhere to some stunted genre tropes from the 1980s is not only ridiculous, but actively limiting what we can get out of them.
That's absolute nonsense, have you even read the thread so far? Nobody has said that we are prescribing what people should make. We are trying to create language to help tell each other about what other people have made. I have simply proposed that when somebody makes a Dear Esther or a Gone Home, we stop calling it a game, because that confuses people. We should just call those items something else instead.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2014, 08:38:31 pm »

Who needs to draw lines in the sand, anyway?

Consumers

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2014, 08:40:13 pm »

Yes, I'd regard these as issues with my proposed definition. The purpose of this thread is to improve that definition, no? What do you think of the change from AND to OR?
It completely defeats what you're trying to do with this thread, because visual novels and games like Dear Esther have an "Implied Success State" at the end and would thus qualify.  All you're really doing is using the vagueness of the term "implied success state" to try and allow games you like into your definition while excluding others.
That's definitely not good enough: It's exactly the problematic definition that leads to "gamers" buying Dear Esther and getting disappointed! That's why we started this discussion in the first place. Not to mention, "interactive piece of digital media" includes Twitter, which is not a game in anyone's common parlance (and doesn't fit my decision because it lacks goals, success or failure). It also excludes poker, chess, football, and anything else that is not digital.
How about those "gamers" just check what the game is before buying it to avoid disappointment?  It's not like everything that meets any given definition can be guaranteed to be good and worth playing.  If Dear Esther was mis-sold that would be an issue, but one that would be solved by having the game's page more clearly describe what it is rather than rewriting the English language for the convenience of lazy Steam users.

My definition of "video games" does not include Twitter - it's a communication medium, not a piece of media.  I could sensibly tighten it to be "a computer program" instead though.  It naturally excludes poker, chess and football because none of those are video games.  I gave a more general definition of "game" later that includes these.
My attempt at a general definition of "game would be "An activity with a set of associated rules or conventions that one or more people engage in interactively".
Some tightening is probably needed to specify that the activity does not serve any direct "practical" purpose and to tighten what exactly qualifies under "rules and conventions", but I think the gist of this is basically there.  A game is ultimately just a framework of rules that you're allowed to choose what to do within.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:24:14 pm by Leafsnail »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2014, 12:06:30 am »

Twitter's character limit is far from arbitrary, it was designed like that to make it compatible with cell phone messaging services (160 character limit here on mobile phone messages, so 140 character message and 20 chars reserved for sender info/header). sure, you can make a "game" of fitting things around that limit, but no more so than any other technical limit of any other platform. So you could say the twitter game is a spinoff of the "owning a phone" game.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:09:50 am by Reelya »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2014, 12:30:20 am »

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2014, 12:31:52 am »

One reason to draw a line is because without a line anyone can basically create anything and advertise it as a game and take up space.

Not that I think Dear Esther is along the lines. Its place, like visual novels, is the same ad space.

Heck I even think RPGmakers in spite not being a game also deserve to be shelved right along actual videogames.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2014, 01:36:19 am »

I was just thinking that maybe, some of the content like Depression Quest is stuff that previously would have been made into independent fiction, novels or short films. All those spaces are saturated with content now, though, your short arts film better be damn good, or it's only a 5 minute blip on the cultural radar that everyone forgets. So, a number of creators have started to realize: hey, you take your indie art film project, but make a game instead. Suddenly, you have mass media coverage for "innovation" for combining content that's not really that cutting edge. Depression Quest's narrative would most likely not even register in the cultural landscape if made as a plot of a short film or independent short story. Also, it's game elements on their own would be seen as pretty rubbish and not even as technically advanced as a 1980's text adventure - and I'm talking crappy run-of-the-mill text adventures, not the popular ones.

So...DQ is like someone's poorly made art film project, but combined with some poorly made programming. What this says isn't that art games are bad, is that the art game field is so barren that virtually anyone could come around and make waves without really having to bust a gut. What will hopefully happen is that more talented creators who might have previously made art films, will be drawn into the games area due to the publicity. Hopefully enough will understand the interaction thing and avoid "frustrated author syndrome", which probably plagues a lot of these developments. They're artists and storytellers, not gameplay mechanics who make most of this stuff.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2014, 01:38:22 am »

"Implied success state" is in want of clearer definition, but I mainly intended it for games where you earn as many points as you can before inevitably losing- maybe I should simply say failure state rather than success state. It's certainly not about including games which I like, it's about including experiences I think constitute games. I love certain books, but they're not games, and reading them to the end doesn't constitute an implied success state because there's no failure state. I also wouldn't mind Candy Land and flipping a coin not being a game, but that's just confusing in normal conversation. Otherwise I would only include "make decisions while attempting to cause a certain outcome", I think.

Like Neonivek says, hard definitions are important! Not so much for deciding what is on steam, but for informing consumers. A lot of the time all you have to go on is people saying that X experience is good, and the really vague descriptions sometimes given on steam, which is ostensibly a place where people buy games. I can't count how many times I've heard people say "I played Gone Home, it's a great game! I can't really describe anything about it though." I'm sure that sort of thing has caused a lot of confusion. I think we're just now coming to the language to say "It's more of an interactive exhibit than a game" and that can really inform people. Incidentally, I played GH and I think I rather liked it. It's just not a game, is all. That kind of language is also necessary to describe, say, Garry's Mod, or even Minecraft in the pre-survival-mode days- "It's more of a digital toy than a game."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2014, 01:44:01 am »

Arcade games have meta-gaming though, in that you usually try and beat a high score. As the high score rises, the level of challenge rises to match your abilities. So, even the simplest old arcade top shooter actually has beating your best score as a solid per-game objective.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6