Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Video game genres, which are your favorites?  (Read 2506 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Video game genres, which are your favorites?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 11:52:44 am »

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:06:37 am by penguinofhonor »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 01:21:23 pm »

I like:
First person shooters, especially retro ones. It depends on the specific game, but I really like the frantic action combined with somewhat limited situational awareness.

MMORPGs. They're a great time waster, and you meet pretty interesting and cool people if you get into a large enough and active enough guild. They do tend to get expensive though which is why I rarely play them.

MOBAs. If I had hours to sit around completely uninterrupted in front of a computer, I would probably play nothing but League of Legends. They require twitch reflexes AND teamwork AND individual skill AND long-term planning in one big ball of tension that makes each match feel like an epic struggle. Specifically in LoL, the Honor Points system encourages players to be nice to each other by giving a reward that isn't exactly game-changing, but reflects how you behave in the community. The only thing I dislike, as I said, is that one match can take an hour or longer and nobody on Earth can guarantee that they'll be completely uninterrupted in all that time (five minutes AFK can be crucial in a MOBA, for those unaware).

CRPGS/WRPGS/Tactical RPG: I like the stories and nonlinearity in these sort of games, as well as the difficulty.

I dislike:

Point n click adventures. The puzzles make me feel dumb, it's as simple as that. :-\

Pure puzzle games like Bejeweled, Tetris, etc. I just can't get into a game about puzzle pieces; I don't know why I'm playing.

Racing games. Once you're far enough in the lead or far enough behind, you might as well just end the race because the match is decided by then.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 01:36:26 pm »

FPS with:
-visible health bar
-no regenerating health
-few/no automatic weapons, perfect accuracy until affected by recoil (and no sway)
-no aim down sights, except for things like sniper rifles
-fast movement speed/advanced traversing (double jump, jetpacks, explosive jumps, bhops, etc)

RTS with:
-replayable single player
-a pause button (I'm way too casual of a strategy player to get into classic RTS)
-a reasonably complex economic system
-variation in viable playstyles/self imposed challenges

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 02:04:19 pm »

It's easier to say what genres I don't enjoy.

-Straight up and down platformer games like Super Meatboy. Doing a thing repeatedly so you make your jump timing is pretty much the antithesis of fun to me.
-Puzzle-focused games, which seem to be the vast majority of indie games being made this day.
-Straight up and down sports games. (There needs to be robots, lasers and people dying before I'll play it.)
-Rhythm/Instrument playing games. Glad these are not the cultural phenomena they once were.
-Dating and high school drama games. Can't get invested in the characters or the story.
-MOBAs. Plenty of reasons, but mostly that gameplay involves clicking 1000 times a minute or you're not doing something right.

I'll play pretty much anything else, or at least try it. My favorite.....probably open world RPGs, although the genre is so well defined now, it's hard to find a good one that isn't an open world filled with a bunch of lazy gameplay mechanics. Roguelikes would be #2, with 4x games a close 3rd. I would have put online FPS up there once but lately I'm just not getting the joy of out of MP competition like I used to. I'd rather settle down with a nice roguelike or adventure game to wile away the hours.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:09:16 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 03:21:04 pm »

My main two preferences are strategy and RPGs.  In both cases I prefer turn based, or at least real time with pause.  In the case of RPGs I generally prefer top down isometric over first person or over-the-shoulder third person (this is especially true if melee combat features heavily).  JRPGs don't appeal to me though.

I also (unsurprisingly) tend to favour sub-genres and associated genres of the above, so ARPGs, management sims, squad based tactical combat games, that sort of thing.

I'll play other genres now and then for a change, usually (but not exclusively) opting for online shooters to fill that role.  However I have no interest in sports games, platformers, or puzzle games.

And I'm torn on MMORPGs, in theory I like them but in practice I almost always find them lacking.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 05:24:39 pm »

FPS with:
-visible health bar
-no regenerating health
-few/no automatic weapons, perfect accuracy until affected by recoil (and no sway)
-no aim down sights, except for things like sniper rifles
-fast movement speed/advanced traversing (double jump, jetpacks, explosive jumps, bhops, etc)

I completely agree with you on FPSs. There should be no "attack roll" if it's an FPS. The player needs to be accountable for all of the skill-based parts, and if there are EXP-based or gear-based improvements, it needs to be things like reducing post-shot recoil, ammo capacity, cooling, noise, armor penetration, material damage. Which is to say, if I get a headshot that is the game's critical hit system. Damage based on range and hit location and armor rather than a random number.

I think the game needs no special movement keys - for example, a low wall has a lip that can be interacted with to vault over - instead, the standard movement keys need to be used to interact with the environment. If the wall is low enough to vault over, you can do it just by jumping onto it. No "press E to vault" or whatever. A run followed by a crouch becomes a slide, etc.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 11:40:49 pm »

My favourites are puzzle games, first person shooters and platformers.

The only ones I tend to avoid are sports games, point and click games(although I did like Walking Dead) and RTS's(I can't multitask worth a damn).  And I hate everything with microtransactions.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 11:46:48 pm »

I've been gaming since I was 2. If it looked fun, I played it. Hell, I nearly had a knack for it to the point of my siblings hiding the manuals from me to prevent me from playing them. Nope, didn't work. I figured them out intuitively anyway. ;D

But yeah, I played games for the sake of playing games. No particular genre stood out for me. But if I must, it would have to be racing games. I always liked moving fast, and even optimizing my driving path. Gran Turismo (License tests) really helped me with optimizing my racing skills. Apply that to several other racers that can work similarly, and I can become a nightmare on the road/course fast. I just need a lap to familiarize myself with the track and car/character, and then you'll see me shave half a minute off my time easily; provided weapons are not allowed on track (unlike Speedrunners or Mario Kart). It's no surprise I can max-out a car's speed on a packed freeway in NFS or GTA, and dodge a majority of the other cars, and in some cases threading the needle at 200+mph.

Secondly, FPS and FP-Simulations (Flight/Mech/Space simulators; lotsa keys (immersion reasons), guns, and big things to blow up) games. Excellent stress relief/way to vent. Excellent way to learn ballistic physics while at it too. Flak and Biorifle Arena mode in Unreal gets hectic. Know your arcs, and time your shotgun blasts. However, nothing beats a Redeemer or BFG9000, and just how much big boom you get from them. Just as well, blowing up a Star Destroyer, or a base as big as a city, is quite satisfying. Flying through the Death Star II, fuck yeah! The pilot proving grounds were fun too. Especially flying through a giant asteroid factory thing in an A-Wing at 250+MGLTs. In general combat skirmishes (Instant Action Mode), I always loved flying the Cloakshape Fighter though; Like flying a deadly manta ray through space.

Honorable mention goes to puzzle and environmental games. Nice to relax to, or have a nice zen feel to it (like Antichamber, Lyne, Edge, Kairo, or Mirrormoon. Clickr is silly and difficult; Kami is a good counter-balance to that).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:25:32 am by Itnetlolor »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 01:55:18 am »

I've been gaming since I was 2. If it looked fun, I played it. Hell, I nearly had a knack for it to the point of my siblings hiding the manuals from me to prevent me from playing them. Nope, didn't work. I figured them out intuitively anyway. ;D
I meant to mention that in my own post - from age 2-20(ish) I played pretty much any and all genres.  I can't remember if I had a preference, or even what my decision making process was for which game to play next.  It was only in the following ~15 years that I lost interest in some genres and started favouring others.  Not sure if that was just an age thing or what.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 06:07:42 am »

I find point-and-click games fun, but only if they're consistent.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 08:04:08 am »

you normally can't pick up anything much bigger than your head.

I don't know... you do it several times and it is actually one of the running jokes in the series is that Guybrush can seemingly put anything down his pants. I guess I never had trouble with that puzzle because I don't even remember what you are referring to.

Besides just play the 4th monkey island if you want to play "leap of logic the game!"

I really wish I had the energy to do point and click letsplays for Bay12... But given I'd have to post each screen shot one after the other... UGH!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 08:09:20 am »

I did. I actually don't remember that much though, since it was a while ago and the CD got cracked.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 08:10:44 am »

I did. I actually don't remember that much though, since it was a while ago and the CD got cracked.

I think if you talk to the dog it hints you can pick it up, I honestly cannot remember.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 12:26:34 pm »

I usually find that RTS games give me the most entertainment when I am playing alone, but more action-packed games are more fun when I am gaming with friends. One of my favorite games to play with a friend is Monster Hunter Tri because, while the arena is a small area, the fights are very entertaining and can result in some very silly antics (e.g. my friend desperately running away from a dinosaur-like monster while I try to spear it with a lance, only to miss and throw myself right in front of the monster's attack, killing us both).

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 01:13:18 pm »

Generally I dislike playing games where I need reflexes of any kind. I prefer turn based or slow games (like roguelikes, Dwarf Fortress, Caesar II, Arx Fatalis...).
Taste my Paci-Fist
Pages: 1 [2] 3