Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freezing Temperatures  (Read 1446 times)

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
Freezing Temperatures
« on: November 22, 2014, 09:44:09 pm »

1. Firstly, how cold does it have to be for dwarves aboveground to freeze to death and how long does it take?
2. Does extra clothing stave off frostbite? If so, does quality affect this?
3. Would dwarves be safe from the cold in an aboveground shelter with a roof and walls?
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing Temperatures
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 10:09:03 pm »

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 05:11:38 am »

As far as I know, dwarves are unaffected by temperature, unless they're swimming in magma or flash frozen in water.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 05:47:01 am »

As far as I know, dwarves are unaffected by temperature, unless they're swimming in magma or flash frozen in water.
But I'm seeing all these people all over the place talking about dwarves freezing to death. Hell, even the wiki mentions it!
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 07:08:46 am »

Dwarfs are definitely affected by temperature. But the dangerous temperatures only occur on the surface (and in magma). The underground has a constant, comfortably survivable temperature the world over.

1. a key temperature is the point where organic tissues start to take damage. That's the number given on the wiki, but dwarfs can survive temperatures significantly lower than that - for a while. Alcohol freezing is a very good sign that the surface isn't safe and the dwarfs should get inside.
2. presumably, no, possibly yes :P
There hasn't been any serious exploration that i'm aware of. Dwarven native body temperature battles the cold and allows them a window of survivability into technically too low temperatures, and clothing _may_ provide a buffer. Hard to say and i wouldn't rely on it. In deadly cold biomes, footwear will quickly disintegrate due to being in contact with the murderously cold floor, and once the shoes are gone, the dwarf's naked feet will freeze off in short order.
3. Don't know for sure. Seeing as how "aboveground" but inside meeting zones in an excessively hot area weren't used in the hot seasons, i suspect biome temperature applies to everything aboveground and only the underground is safe.
Aboveground shelters aren't particularly practical, anyway - you'd need to bring along stone on embark. If logs survive the cold until you've built walls from them, the cold isn't life-threatening, and if you acquire stone by digging, you can just establish your shelter downstairs.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 01:00:36 am »

What happens to wood in cold temperatures?

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 09:39:46 pm »

To wood? Nothing. Only organic tissues and liquids are affected, everything else is perfectly safe.

Zombies also are immune to extreme cold (but not to ice-casting muahahah).

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 02:15:02 am »

To wood? Nothing.

Haven't tried in .40 yet, but if this hasn't changed since .34, that's definitely not correct. Wood has the same "colddam point" as practically all other organic materials. The "template" for all woods clearly says
[COLDDAM_POINT:9900]
i.e. wood takes "wear" damage when exposed to temperatures of ~-55°C or below. In all my super-cold embarks, the wagon and all barrels (and all food) disappeared in a few hundred turns.

When exposed loose wood doesn't take damage, the temperature isn't life-threatening. Actually, if you _want_ such low temperatures, you usually have to fiddle with the worldgen temperature settings, the default settings don't normally produce such temperatures.

PS: quick check, yup, still the same: all wood showed x<fungiwood log>x etc. within a day and was gone within four days.
To clarify: "freezing" does not mean "life-threatening" by itself. The temperature rating starts a long way above the deadly point. "Freezing" locations on a world without specifically changed temperature settings are _usually_ still temperate enough to let dwarfs live. As i said, if your wagon and barrels take damage sitting outside or if your booze freezes on embark, things are dangerous; another indicator is the initial blurb saying "...ere the beasts get hungry" instead of naming an actual beast species - that means there are no appropriate animals to spawn on the surface, because it's too cold for them. In all other cases, you just have an embark where surface water won't ever thaw.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 02:31:34 am by Larix »