Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164117 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1290 on: June 17, 2015, 06:45:00 pm »

Spoiler: @Renegade (click to show/hide)

@Execute

Yes, but renen's blade used real atoms with real electromagnetic fields.  We don't even know if a forcefield has the same.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: June 17, 2015, 07:01:49 pm »

Oh, yeah, PW mentioned that story when we discussed it. Not that he mentioned any particular Word of God on the topic of how such a blade would work here. And anyway, if we can make it that thin, we can calibrate it to be just thicker, not enough to lose the super-cutting capability, but enough to do away with weird effects like that.

Also, what do you think would happen if we shortened the blade instead of elongating it? As in, right to that same thickness, resulting in, basically, forcefield monowire? (That is hypothesised by me to be possible.)
(And yep, I understand that in this particular case, we would completely lose any way to see the 'blade'; at least when it was two-dimensional, it could have possibly been seen (cameye or any other way; or felt, actually) if it wasn't held parallel to the line of sight (and best if held perpendicularly to it). But that'd be a small price to pay for being able to cut perpendicularly to the 'blade'.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 17, 2015, 07:32:51 pm »

Probably, but I bet in the far flung future that is now, you could get some really bright LEDs that would work. I might also have the feeling that the plasma would increase costs. I dunno. Anyways, my two cents. Shutting up now.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 17, 2015, 07:37:17 pm »

For the problem of blade visibility, why not just sell some cheap IR goggles alongside the weapon?
Would let you see the blade, and could double as poor man's cameyes.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1294 on: June 17, 2015, 07:54:03 pm »

@Paris

Quote from: Paris
since the durability of the hilt is not that important,

Why wouldn't it be important?  If the hilt's broken, it goes off like a bomb.   Yes, we likely wouldn't need to have maximum strength forcefields, but even relatively weak ones will go off like a grenade.  Most users won't have Milnoplate-level armor, so that's a rather bad thing.

Quote from: Paris
You could even make the hilt really flexible, extendible and programmable

None of these things are necessarily possible to do with a projector material. We certainly can have overlapping plates of forcefields, but the inherent resistance they have to each other would likely make a whip or some of your other ideas implausible.
Note that I'm talking about the hilt. You're talking about the projecting material inside the hilt. Two different things.
The hilt simply needs to be sturdy enough. It won't shouldn't be subjected to powerful forces during use. So a telescopic extendible thing with the projecting material in an armoured shpaed-charge-like cocoon in its end would work fine, despite the structural integrity problems that usually plague telescopic things compared to rigid things. Same for a tentacle with the projecting material mounted at the end.

And the answer to the cutting problem is simple. How do forcefields work? They obviously form a sort of barrier that stops certain kinds of energy. We know for a fact that it stops light and matter, possibly other kinds of energy as well. So the question is, does it push matter away? Does it stop it? How? Does it push the large concentration of energy away? Is it something that works relative to the energy involved relative to the forcefields? Could forcefields disrupt electrostatic forces between molecules?
Is such a thing even possible? Yes it is.

We know that forcefields interact with matter, either by pushing it away (space magicky or via normal physics interaction, don't know which) or by stopping it because it is a high concentration of energy (space magicky probably). In either case, that means that if the forcefield is vibrating quickly enough any matter near a forcefield monofilament would be affected, either because the energy of the particles responsible for molecular bonds would be stopped by the forcefield (unless the forcefield is so small quantum effects come into play) or because the matter of said atoms would be pushed away.

And if it turns out that non-vibrating forceblades are mostly harmless, much like non-vibrating monorazors are mostly harmless, then that solves the question of how to sheathe them safely: Put them in a normal sheathe, just in case.

Essentially an upgrade to the mono-razor, since it works on the same principle. The monorazor is a very thin filament that cuts things, but merely cutting would not work. It also heats whatever it cuts and pushes it away via its vibrations, essentially messing up the atoms near whatever it cuts so that they can't reattach as easily.

Unless radio waves can get through forcefields. That means that sufficiently low energy gets through it. If forcefield permeability to energy does not scale with size that might be a problem.

I dunno if you are getting what I'm saying. I have to sleep because I think I have stopped making sense.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: June 17, 2015, 08:29:16 pm »

Finally, Piecewise the GM, Random Number God, and, of course, Steve himself?
That would be easy to deal with, just start throwing things and other things to check armor penetration and armor thickness :P

Just to be clear, when something like an explosion of blast of heat hits a forcefield, it gets completely redirected (or the field breaks), correct? Couldn't that be used to prevent weapons from overheating by replacing the structural components exposed to heating with shaped forcefields instead?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 17, 2015, 08:54:41 pm »

Spoiler: Responses to peoples (click to show/hide)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 17, 2015, 08:56:50 pm »

I take it that it's too damn expensive and finicky to use forcefields as laser focusing arrays?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 17, 2015, 09:04:57 pm »

@Egan

IR goggles would be a good alternative to cameyes, yes, although they'd have the same restrictions.  If we go with a monoatomic blade, or a blade even somewhat larger than that, it doesn't matter what spectrum you see in--you simple don't have the resolution to see the blade.  In general, I think filling the blade with something opaque is a better idea anyway, because it adds heft.  A heavier sword is better at cutting.

Of course, using an alternative vision mode does mean that your sword would be invisible to most enemies, which is certainly an advantage.
I don't see how the thickness of the blade matters. It's not made of matter, and I believe it blocks all IR radiation regardless of it's thickness.
It would look like a dark spot on IR.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 17, 2015, 09:26:38 pm »

Hmm, it might also be possible to make a software program to show where the blade is on the user's visor.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: June 17, 2015, 10:08:21 pm »

@Syv It's all good, you weren't. Tinker stuff is fun to read, but trying to do it makes my head hurt. Just trying to keep cost down and it simple  :)
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: June 18, 2015, 12:49:43 am »

@Command unit: point taken

A question about blastpistol.
Here's a list of upgrades I wanted to inquire about:
 - Cooling system/more durable case, which will allow it not to melt down after overcharge (there was a talk about fitting in a small coldplate)
 - Integrated laser pointer/flashlight
 - Custom frame (read custom shape, nothing of technical use)
And if all of the above is available, which is likely, is it realistic to expect such an order to be priced 2 tokens?

I was gonna wait with extra options until after prototyping, as after market. First one should be possible, but would be almost useless, since a battery costs 1 token anyway though less melted slag I guess). Would cost 1 or 2 tokens I guesstimate. Second should be free and no problem, just ask am for it. Last should also be possible, but probably not standard, ask am for it.

think this is somewhat backwards, actually.  Modularity reduces cost, because your tanks, APCs, AA vehicles, etc. all use the same production lines.  In trade, it usually lowers the effectiveness of any given vehicle, because none of them were entirely purpose built only for their role.  Radio's correct if you're trying to make fully effective yet also modular vehicles, though.

That's what I meant, higher price if you wanna keep effectiveness the same, because you gain versatility.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:59:24 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 18, 2015, 06:53:30 am »

Okay, so posting this here so I can have a chance of having the prototype sent to the Sword in exchange for the pyramid artifact.

The PEW Assault Suit, a variant of the AS that has two PEWs integrated into its arms. This reduces the suit's arm strength by half, but still leaves it as strong as a Battlesuit is normally. The cooling is handled by a distributed cooling system, and all of the PEWs' firing mode options still apply. Other integrated AS equipment remains the same.

Remaining issue: Cost. Regular AS is 15 token, regular PEW is 12, so two PEWs plus AS should probably cost more than 15. Thinking of bringing it back up to 20. Council?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 155