Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164077 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1230 on: June 17, 2015, 07:37:29 am »

Well, with the revival machinery needing about a van-sized vehicle to be carted around, a battlesuit type deal is out of the question. Though, we COULD go spidertank rather than wheels, though I'm not sure what the difference is. However, I like the testament idea. We can have a "small" sump tank below the cab seats full of PSL liquid piping through the roof to the testament for great area suppression while evacing the wounded!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: June 17, 2015, 07:42:18 am »

Just a thought:

Was a possibility of creation of universal chassis considered? Or maybe has it been done? Like, we have this one universal chassis, and then we have a lot of variants of further build, like extra-light unarmored transport of very large capacity, APC, portable medbay, portable command center (if we even need this), extra-armored low-capacity transport vehicle, light tank - all of those having basically the same chassis for the sake of ease of production, and then being built up for various purposes.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1232 on: June 17, 2015, 08:11:05 am »

Is this APC going to be used to perform surgery and put people in braincases or is it going to have the healing fluid tanks the infirmary uses? Or a combination of the above?

@ComradeP: I've been wanting to do something like that since forever, but I've never had the time to tinker about it. I can post some of my ideas later if you want.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: June 17, 2015, 08:30:06 am »

Is this APC going to be used to perform surgery and put people in braincases or is it going to have the healing fluid tanks the infirmary uses? Or a combination of the above?

@ComradeP: I've been wanting to do something like that since forever, but I've never had the time to tinker about it. I can post some of my ideas later if you want.

A combination if feasible. If not, we'll see what is actually feasible to put into one vehicle and what we can basically live without.
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: June 17, 2015, 08:38:59 am »

@comrade: yes, I have a design document for something like that lying around, gonna try to post it in here after exams are over and I can get on my computer again.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: June 17, 2015, 08:43:28 am »

I'm pretty occupied with stuff right now too, so I was just wondering. From my end it looks like I gonna have a lot of free time since mid-July, but not right now.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: June 17, 2015, 09:36:29 am »

If we can come up with a universal chassis to put this on that'd be perfect(and really bring costs down!). Speaking of costs, I kida forgot to include the price of the machinery in my question to PW, so that's something else I'll need to know  :-[

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:54:30 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: June 17, 2015, 09:58:52 am »

Oh, the Armata huh? Isn't that thing like, 50 vehicles rolled into one? (Remember I'm american, so I'm not up to snuff on Russian hardware)

Edit: But I see where you're going with this. Basically have an armored engine, treads, and transmission, and have a modular system of different mission packages to install on top. We can have my Armore Mobile Medical Transport module, a regular APC module, a fast assault vehicle module, and a heavy armored tank module, as well as any other module a player can think up.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:02:21 am by tryrar »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: June 17, 2015, 10:10:24 am »

It might be, it was presented, however, exactly like what we were talking about just now - a universal platform, which allows to produce versatile vehicles. Several variants of possible builds, such as T-14 main battle tank with unmanned tower, APC and an self-propelled artillery unit called "Coalition" for some reason, were shown to everyone rolling through the Red Square on May 9th.
Given I saw the action live, I can visually confirm they looked like they were built on the same chassis with minor twitches here and there.
Sigs

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: June 17, 2015, 10:22:49 am »

(( *dares not bring up Chimera or Rhino chassis as an example* ))

Well, yeah, the idea is good. Note though that the armoring/'weight class' question remains; for example, if I read the wiki correctly, it appears that all the vehicles based on that particular chassis are heavily-armored, including the APC (which is actually an IFV, btw, not that the distinction matters that much). So I'm just cautioning about potential pitfalls of designing a universal chassis for both unarmored transports and heavy battle tanks (light ones should be okay, though).
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: June 17, 2015, 10:30:54 am »

Those are all things we can work out and improve in our game, and isn't that great?
Sigs

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: June 17, 2015, 10:46:37 am »

(( *dares not bring up Chimera or Rhino chassis as an example* ))

Well, yeah, the idea is good. Note though that the armoring/'weight class' question remains; for example, if I read the wiki correctly, it appears that all the vehicles based on that particular chassis are heavily-armored, including the APC (which is actually an IFV, btw, not that the distinction matters that much). So I'm just cautioning about potential pitfalls of designing a universal chassis for both unarmored transports and heavy battle tanks (light ones should be okay, though).

With forcefields, armoring might be a bit more expensive but we can shave a LOT of weight and retain the flexibility for a universal chassis

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1243 on: June 17, 2015, 11:00:19 am »

Why not make it completely modular? You have a basic chassis. Now the chassis is built to accept a number of different components:
  • Armour: From no armour to things like electrified battlesuit plate, hexsand, forcefield, stealth or whatever armour one might think they need.
  • Front mount: Allows for things that benefit from being in the front of the vehicle to be mounted there. Kinamp rammers or robotic arms or a sensor suite or a giant shovel. Or the exit part of a spinal mounted particle accelerator cannon like the one Lukas had (the chassis should allow for modules to be connected obviously, so the power source is in a different part).
  • Top mount: Turrets, cannons, artillery, turrets on rails like the APC on Aliens, sensors, sharkmist radiation antennas, whatever you might need to put on top of the vehicle. Can also be left empty for non-combat vehicles.
  • Driver Compartment: An all purpose control station should be here to allow the driver and co-driver/equipment operator/gunner to control the vehicle regardless of the modules mounted on it (so that not every module configuration requires its own cockpit). Perhaps that could be achieved by using VR controls, but that would probably make the thing much harder to repair and maintain.
    • Equipment Submodule: Allows for a device (like an automanip) and the software necessary for using it to be mounted in the place of the co-pilot. Can allow for things such as a grav-chute submodule that allows for orbital insertions or maybe a multi-purpose automanip that acts as a grav-chute for orbital insertions but then allows the vehicle to jump higher and clear large gaps. Or things like an automanipulator that shoves things away from the APC, or a special anti-armour automanip or whatever else the vehicle might need in an emergency (since automanips tend to not last very long unless they are big). Could also be used to mount extra things, like a stronger generator or extra ammo/fuel tanks or whatever else the vehicle might need. I was thinking of making this a standard module but I'm unsure of the cost.
  • Payload Compartment: This should fulfil the vehicle's primary purpose. If it is built as an APC, then it should hold troops and their equipment safely (perhaps with a stasis pod added for the corpses to be thrown in) (maybe even a few firing ports if you consider the ability to attack more important than the safety of the soldiers). If it is built as a tank, then it will probably hold ammo, generators, fuel, whatever is necessary to make the tank better. You could also add a self-sustaining automanipulator in there. You can also leave it empty if you want to use the vehicle to carry cargo.
  • Mobility Mount: This controls how the vehicle should be moved around. Is it hovering around on frictionless forcefields? Does it have wings and fly? Is it a centipede? Spider? Wheels? Treads? Whatever it is, it's mounted on the bottom part, (extending a bit to the sides of the vehicle to allow for legs and such). It should probably also contain the generator used to move the thing around as a submodule close to the centre of the vehicle. Could even leave it empty or add some extra armour if you want to use it as an emplacement.

Obviously, not all parts work with all other parts. You can't have a heavily armoured flying tank (unless you define flying as "staying on the air for a couple of minutes"). Like the battlesuit, you have to cut some functionality to get some other functionality in.

EDIT: But it has the advantage of allowing you to create the vehicle you need for the job you have. The modules could probably be rearranged with a few hour's work, allowing you to prepare for missions (if it's a city mission, you chose wheels, if it's a tough to navigate rocky world you choose spider, etc.) provided you can pay for the cost of the new modules. Team fund could help with that, since the thing is supposed to help teams achieve their goals with a bit of extra equipment.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 11:04:47 am by Parisbre56 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: June 17, 2015, 11:09:35 am »

@Paris: And hey, we have that vehicle bay for a reason right? This would be perfect for this. Instead of having a collection of vehicles in storage like we do now, we have parts we can assemble and rearrange into a vehicle we need using the vehicle workshop. Cost to assemble the vehicle depends on parts used, and we can either store that vehicle or break it back down to get a refund on tokens. I'm liking that idea!
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 155