Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Emotions are undwarvenly (0.40.15)  (Read 3012 times)

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Emotions are undwarvenly (0.40.15)
« on: November 14, 2014, 08:25:37 am »

So, picking this back up after a while, I notice that all of a sudden all my dwarves are quivering messes.

In a fortress of about 50, probably around 20 are, at any one time, either too depressed to work, in emotional shock, having a tantrum or insane. It's seriously affecting my fortress's productivity, especially when my great brewer is too distressed to do anything.

When I examine the dwarves, the cause is usually separation from a loved one (or grief over watching a tantruming dwarf kill some other dwarf), only listed multiple times.

Do I have any recourse - is it possible to revive this fortress from its woes, or am I to move to a version before the new emotional system?

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotions are undwarvenly (0.40.15)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 08:31:17 am »

This was a known issue, that 0.40.16 has apparently addressed.  I'm still on 0.40.13 myself so I can't fully comment.
hamster cheese supplies are low

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 08:48:48 am »

Upgrade to 40.16.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 09:29:54 am »

Upgrade to 40.16.
There's no Starter Pack or DFHack for 40.16 yet, so dive right into the vanilla.  It puts hair on your chin.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 10:26:19 am »

Upgrade to 40.16.
There's no Starter Pack or DFHack for 40.16 yet, so dive right into the vanilla.  It puts hair on your chin.

Chin, chest, upper lip, head, arms, legs, back, feet, and palms.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 10:38:37 am »

Upgrade to 40.16.

Think you just figured out why I never switched.

Funny, I've been into this for years but never stopped using the lazy newb pack

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 12:20:37 pm »

There's no need to quit using it, since it has all those utilities attached that make life simpler.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 12:55:30 pm »

Version updates, even on the .01 scale, tend to break all of those lovely utilities.

That said, sometimes I do enjoy playing straight vanilla.  As some other poster said in a different thread once, playing DF without Dwarf Therapist is sort of how the game is meant to be played.  You've got 100 drunk idiots running around with no simple way of managing them.  It's almost like if you yourself were a drunk dwarf.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 01:02:18 pm »

Use profession nicknames to figure out who does what. Still not easy, but easier to keep track of.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 03:11:36 pm »

Yeah, this new emotion system tends to undwarven behavior.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 04:59:19 pm »

The dwarven behaviour was just a placeholder, anyway.
._.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 05:01:24 pm »

You can pretty much use 40.16 with the 40.15 LNP if you put the 40.16 folder in the main MacNewbie Folder.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 12:16:05 am »

Dwarven behavior is not noticing you're on fire, risking your life to retrieve a low-quality sock that's half rotten and covered in blood, and spontaneously deciding to take a break for the next 4 months when you're just about to pull the lever to seal off the fort.

No big loss.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 03:09:34 am »

Dwarven behavior is not noticing you're on fire, risking your life to retrieve a low-quality sock that's half rotten and covered in blood, and spontaneously deciding to take a break for the next 4 months when you're just about to pull the lever to seal off the fort.

No big loss.

The first was patched out in the 0.34 series, socks I believe may have been too, the last one there is going to be patched out in the next few major updates.

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 08:42:52 pm »

Like in all the movies when machines slowly become self aware and proceed to wipe out humanity, Dwarves are slowly becoming elves, and proceeding to mope around the place complaining about their life problems.

Evolution at work.
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.
Pages: [1] 2