Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A GCS warped into Anvillances! Three killed, player confused  (Read 3484 times)

dmatter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A GCS warped into Anvillances! Three killed, player confused
« on: November 13, 2014, 08:43:21 pm »

I was playing a fairly good fort when suddenly, out of nowhere, a giant cave spider managed to path into my fort. The weird thing is that I have no points of entry into the caverns. As far as I can tell there is no way to walk, crawl, jump, or climb into my fortress from the caverns. I was lucky in that one of my soldiers had managed to wander down to change out his equipment and 'announced' that he was unable to complete the task due to the GCS. Either I'm missing something or giant cave spiders can now warp into a fort.* My guess is I'm missing something, but I can't figure out what. From the caverns my fort is sealed tight.

What is truly hilarious though is that my soldier didn't kill the GCS, it was my surgeon that took it down. Punched it straight in the brainses (I am renaming him to Captain Falcon).

*They must have made contact with those darn dirty space elves, "Live long and kill the dwarves," I heard it say.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:57:01 pm by dmatter »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: A GCS warped into Anvillances! Three killed, player confused
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 08:50:30 pm »

Could you upload a copy of the save? If you haven’t saved already, zip up the save before this happened, and then save and upload the new one separately.

If you want to check whether the caverns are accessible from your fort, try designating walls in the caverns. If you can’t designate any walls, they’re probably sealed off from your fort. If you can, and you can use building materials from within your fort in there, your fort is accessible from the caverns.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

dmatter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:44:21 pm »

I've already done the wall test and there are no points for the GCS to walk in, however the GCS is a legendary climber. Anywhere, that's accessible by climbing they could easily get in, and I don't believe the wall test could account for that (arena testing proves that they're more than happy to climb over a wall to kill a target).

My old save is too old to use. The GCS must have spawned after the season changed and shortly there after pathed into my fort (assuming that it wasn't a result of bugginess). I can, however, cheat and go off of the old save while I try and figure it out. Which is fine. I'd rather preserve the 'crime scene' and figure out just how the GCS got into my fort.

And I would have uploaded the save right off the bat, except I don't know how to upload it on here. Do I go through a third party website to post it or am I missing something on these forums?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:50:02 pm »

This is the site many of us use for save file uploads:

http://dffd.wimbli.com

That said, you can use anything you like, such as dropbox or googledrive.

There is no built-in file sharing on the forum.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 11:43:18 pm »

There's also this site, but I guess it's more for showing off your architectural grandeur:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/index.php

The nice thing is you can interact with the maps without downloading them yourself.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 02:26:36 am »

I've had cavern creatures warp into my fort before. Even before the cavern was breeched.

Did you use DFhack or similar to reveal the map/caverns before it happened?

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 03:50:29 am »

I've seen several reports that climbers can path diagonally through floor/stair combinations. And they can glitch through fortifications. The trouble is that your dwarfs might refuse the "build me a wall" pathing test because they would have to climb 1 z level but a climber will still use it.

Battle and dodging can lead to unexpected behavior as well. My dwarfs managed to dodge into or through locked doors out of my danger room. I had to replace the door in front of the waeponrack with a wall and set them to defend a burrow so they would stay there.
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cholek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 08:31:45 am »

Throw sock into caverns and if there is a hole for GCS then some dwarf ill take it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:33:23 am by Cholek »

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 12:09:26 pm »

My suspicion is that they're pathing diagonally via an up/down stair's revealed tile. When my crundle got in, I had an up/down that was one tile away from the cavern ceiling.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 01:47:51 pm »

Things to watch out for in general:

pits--creatures will climb up into any opening, no matter how difficult or impossible you think it is

down stairways above a wall tile--flying creatures can move diagonally upwards (and climbing creatures may be able to do so as well)

fortifications--in previous versions, creatures could be "thrown" through fortifications; now they can potentially just climb through

holes in a ceiling (wells, dumps, etc.)--creatures may now climb across the ceiling and up the well shaft

underwater fortifications--despite "common knowledge" flooded fortifications do not block creatures

thin walls--charging creatures can move through walls two tiles thick (and possibly more)

If none of those apply, there is a rare known bug which causes surface edge-of-map tiles to appear in the interior of a map (allowing creatures to occasionally spawn where they shouldn't); it is at least conceivable that underground edges could similarly be affected.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 02:10:20 am »

I have had creatures (giant bats) path diagonally up into a staircase, if that helps.
~~~
~X~
~~~
 If the top left underneath is open, that's pathable somehow.

dmatter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 10:54:56 am »

Thanks everybody for the replies! I did not realize the info on walled off stairwells+open spaces below the points diagonal to them (though it does make some sense to me). I went back through the fort to check and didn't see any points of entry. I'll go back through just to make sure though.

Here is the file upload: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10086 (internet was slow and stupid Thursday, so it had to wait until today).

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 11:35:29 am »

Pretty sure I found your hole.

This staircase:

Is diagonally adacent to this tile on the level below:

That creates a path into your fort for climbers.  Plop a wall there and you should be good.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:44:57 am by Tacomagic »

dmatter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 12:01:25 pm »

Pretty sure I found your hole.

This staircase:

Is diagonally adacent to this tile on the level below:

That creates a path into your fort for climbers.  Plop a wall there and you should be good.

It is already sealed. The Z-level above has an up staircase. I could be wrong, but that should act as a solid floor.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 12:06:15 pm »

It doesn't matter what is above that staircase.  The GCS is pathing downward diagonally to the highlighted square.

Because of the bug in climbing pathing, the GCS can pass downward diagonally into that square from the up/down staircase on the level above it.

In the save you posted, that square is not blocked from the goofy climb pathing.
Pages: [1] 2