Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Warhammerloft: Because Life is Insufficiently Grimdark [WHFRP 2nd edition]  (Read 5754 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammerloft: Because Life is Insufficiently Grimdark [WHFRP 2nd edition]
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 10:24:05 pm »

So basically his choices are SIR HARB, Stooge #3, or a wizerd who can take over healing duty from me. And I'm okay with that.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 05:54:02 am »

Looks like also the only one who starts with healing poultices...  Also, heh, I misread "M" as "MAG", and was befuddled as to how that squire somehow had a magic stat of 4.

And it's INVASION OF THE TOLL KEEPERS!  NO ROAD IS NOT SAFE!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 01:42:26 am »

Ladies, and Gentlemen I present to you the ....

Warhammer Fantasy Guide to Leveling, and Experience for Idiots
-----------------------------------------------------------------
During the course of the game the GM will give the players experience points which can be used for a number of things from buying characteristic advances to talents, and even just advancing your way to a different career will cost you experience. Understanding how the entire system works through the rulebook can be somewhat confusing so I'm compiling what is basically a reference guide here for you guys to use.

First things first, just what can you buy with experience points, and what does it costs to do so.

Improvements, and their Costs
+5% Advance to a Main Profile Characteristic (Strength, Weapon Skill, etc.) - 100 XP
+1 Advance to a Secondary Profile Characteristic (Attack, Wounds, etc.) - 100 XP
Buying a Talent - 100 XP
Buying a skill - 100 Xp
Getting a +10% Skill Mastery - 100 XP
Entering a New Career - 100 XP
Entering a Career not listed as an Exit Career (You can only exit this way to a basic career) - 200 XP

Now of course there is a number of restrictions to everything I've listed above, first I'll cover anything not related to changing careers.

To actually buy any characteristic advance, talent, or skill it has to actually be a part of your career so you can't go buying Lightning Reflexes if your career is say a Boatman.

----

Focusing on characteristics first you'll find that each advance scheme lists a certain +% for each of the main characteristics, and a number + for any secondary characteristic showing how much of each you can actually take as an advance. Once you've purchased up to that amount of characteristic advancements you can't buy anymore until you switch to another career in which case your advance scheme actually transfers over, and you retain your current progress though any characteristic with a higher number than what you had before changing increases (you do not get that bonus immediately, you still have to buy the advances there). If the advance scheme actually has a lower value for a characteristic you keep your current advances and are unable to purchase anymore until you switch to a career with a higher number of advances in that field

Example:
A Boatman who has finished his advance scheme, and who wishes to advance to Marine for their next career would go from this advance scheme:

Weapon Skill: +10%
Ballistic Skill: +5%
Strength: +5%
Toughness: +5 %
Agility: +10%
Intelligence: +5%

Wounds: +2

To this Advance Scheme, note the numbers in parenthesis is the advances he currently has:

Weapon Skill: +10% (+10%)
Ballistic Skill: +10% (+5%)
Strength: +10% (+5%)
Toughness: (+10%) [Changing Careers cannot decrease a characteristic]
Agility: +5% (+10%)
Intelligence: +5% (+5%)
Willpower: +5% (+0%)

Attacks: +1
Wounds: +3 (+2)

From changing careers we can see the former Boatman can now buy an additional +5% in Ballistic Skill, Strength, and Willpower along with another attack, and another wound.

------

Next up is talents which is far simpler affair, only those whose starter careers had X or X talent choices will be able to buy any additional talents until they change careers. When you finally change careers you can buy any of the talents listed in the new career's talent section.

------

Finally comes skills which are a bit more complex than talents, but not near as difficult as handling the advance scheme changes from switching to a new career (which isn't actually that hard either). Basically you can buy any skills your career has listed in its skills section once. If you already have that skill then you can purchase a +10% mastery of that skill for the same price as a new skill. And that's all there is to it.

------

I have only one more thing to delve into before this guide for leveling and experience for idiots is complete and that is the more infuriating points of changing your character's career. In order to change careers to a new one you must 1) have bought all possible advances from your career's advance scheme, 2) purchased all skills you don't already have from the career's skill list, 3) purchase any talents you don't already have from the talent list, and 4) obtain all the trappings for the career which you wish to advance into. If you meet all of those requirements, and the career you want to move into is one of your current career's exit careers then you can change to it at a measly cost of 100 xp. However if you want to choose a career outside of your exit careers you can do so with two conditions, the career you choose has to be a basic career, and instead of 100 xp you have to pay 200 xp to change classes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 11:58:31 am »

Ladies, and Gentlemen I present to you the ....

Warhammer Fantasy Guide to Leveling, and Experience for Idiots
Or; The Biggest Waste of Space (Unless Your GM Is a Doormat Who Never Kills His Players)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 12:21:51 pm »

Well, I think it's important for people to know that there's really nothing else they could have been doing that would potentially have prevented their gruesome demise.

Also it's great that a game based around quick, hopeless deaths and nigh-impossible gaining of wealth and experience should have such a brutally expensive and longwinded leveling mechanic

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 07:32:30 pm »

We won't be playing tomorrow, since I haven't finished setting everything up, but I should get the rest of the characters rolled up tonight.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 08:21:23 pm »

I am an interest.

Spoiler:  YOU ARE AN CHOICE (click to show/hide)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 04:15:44 am »

Hey! This is my time zone and at a decent time! The Monday thing is a bit off of my ideal time (which is Sunday, Saturday, and Friday with the latter two being more desirable.) but that's fine.

Spoiler: Choose Carefully (click to show/hide)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 08:53:53 am »

I'll take the entertainer.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 01:13:46 pm »

I'll take the entertainer.
Do note that you take a -50 penalty to Knowledge(Magnets).

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 10:15:52 pm »

Due to the American medical system, the only time I could get a doctor's appointment was exactly tomorrow, so I can't start it then. I apologise for the inconvience

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 04:09:21 pm »

Got it from wrex that there is no game today, he isn't feeling up to it. At least we get to savor our characters longer before they die horrifically.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 02:20:12 am »

To be honest, that's something of a relief to me now...  Guess who completely and utterly blanked that the game was set up for yesterday?  Yeah, me.  My computer decided that it doesn't actually contain the wireless network adapter that's built into this goddamn laptop, so I was without WiFi connectivity all of yesterday, resulting in me being unable to obsessively check the forum and IRC like I usually do...

As such, farty-forgetty warhammerlofty.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 01:08:23 am »

At the end of the first session some of us decided to throw in some shillings of loot from each session to help pay for food, lodgings, and shit for everyone. I'll start it up by putting 17 in.

------

Food, Lodgings, and More -
1 Gold Crown
17 Shillings

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 01:11:38 am »

I'll be writing these up btw. The shared stuff is underlined in my sheet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4