Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Chess Discussion Thread  (Read 9568 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Chess Discussion Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2015, 05:54:07 pm »

how to avoid getting foolmated?

Don't move your king's bishop's pawn until you've moved either your queen's or king's pawn. Use any standard opening and it won't be a problem.

I'm guessing though, that you probably mean Scholar's mate, because in my experience Fool's mate is a thing that doesn't actually happen. I don't think I've ever seen it happen except when it's being demonstrated as a thing that can possibly happen.

Scholar's mate is more common. There are lots of solutions. I'll give you one that's debatable, but I've found to be excellent general advice:

Stop moving your knights in front of your pawns.

Just...don't do that. It will save you a world of hurt. Learn to use your pawns and bishops.

How do I develop my knights then? I don't know that many ways to develop them.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2015, 05:57:58 pm »

It is mostly preferable that you don't open the game with them, you can throw them in front of your peons, it's just that it's not a good position for them early game. Like mentioned, it's better to use the bishops early on, or if you are using the knights, move them fast to wherever you want them.
In a time before time, I had a name.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2015, 09:55:42 pm »

That's not really true. It's pretty standard to bring the knights out early unless your blocking the c-pawn in the queens pawn opening or the french defence. So after 1. d4 d5 you don't tend to play 2. Nc3 because it becomes hard to break open the centre with c4 or e4 & the position becomes locked up. You can play 2. c4 immediately as black can't really keep the pawn if he takes it. After 1. e4 e5 however you would normally play 2. Nf3, the difference being the queen is supporting your central break (pawn to d4).

For most of the opening you want to be doing 3 things. Controlling the centre (e4,d4,e5,d5), developing the pieces & looking after your king safety (usually be castling). So 1. e4 hits a centre square (d5), opens the diagonal for the bishop (development) & after the bishop & knight come out you can castle (king safety). 1. d4 is good for similar reasons. 1. Nf3 is also good. 1. f4 for instance does not develop a piece & exposes the king needlessly. You can play it but it's easy to get in trouble in those lines.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:04:55 pm by wobbly »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2015, 03:14:17 pm »

So I'm thinking of trying those newfangled 360 Chess or Omega Chess thingy, but I'm not quite sure about how strategising would work in them since I'm kind of used to making studied openings. Does opening theory even hold true for 360 Chess?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2016, 04:49:07 am »

Reviving this thread. Also, which subforum do you guys think I should make Bay12 chess club in. Should I make this thread Bay12 chess club?

My idea however is mostly 365 Chess to encourage newcomers to play.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2016, 04:50:45 am »

Play with your buddies subforum of other games might be better for that
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:57:25 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2016, 05:35:42 am »

Oh wow, never knew there was a Chess thread on B12! :))
Play with your buddies subforum of other games might be better for that
^ This works. Or if it's about general discussion...I think it can go in that respective area.

[...]
I used to play chess with a mentor of mine back in the day. I beat my father at it a few times. He taught me to play when I was... five? Six? Something like that.
Mmph, story of my chess life here. He kept beating me until I learned to learn myself, then I began beating him. :P
And now he's all proud of me there. :'(
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:40:08 am by Tiruin »

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2016, 05:49:38 am »

ptw

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2017, 01:15:38 pm »

This thread isn't dead because I say so.

Code: [Select]
[Event "Achaea: Dream of Divine Lands MUD, casual chess game between two citizens of Cyrene"]
[Site "https://www.achaea.com/"]
[Date "2017.30.03"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Gwynrii"]
[Black "Haloshire"]
[Result "0-1"]
[WhiteELO "?"]
[BlackELO "?"]

%Created by Caissa's Web PGN Editor
1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nf6 4. O-O Nxe4 5. d3 Nd6 6. Ba4 b5 7. Bb3 Bb7 8.
c3 h6 9. c4 Qf6 10. Qe2 O-O-O 11. d4 exd4 12. cxb5 Nb4 13. Ne5 Re8 14. Nxf7
Rxe2 15. Nxh8 Nc2 16. Nd2 Bxg2 17. Kxg2 Ne3+ 18. Kh1 Nxf1 19. Nxf1 Qxf2 20.
Ne3 Re1+ 21. Nf1 Rxf1#
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 01:18:23 pm by Cinder »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2017, 01:32:26 pm »

I used to play that MUD when I was unemployed and depressed over a decade ago.  I'm surprised its still around!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2017, 01:33:08 pm »

I tried cheddar once but didn't like it. Parmigianio is quite nice, if strong. Personally I favor Spanish Idiazabal.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2017, 03:58:18 pm »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2017, 04:52:14 pm »

I used to play that MUD when I was unemployed and depressed over a decade ago.  I'm surprised its still around!

dude I still play that MUD it's awesome. They just hired a new position that sadly I was too late in applying for. AND they're working on a sci-fi space MUD that's coming out this year I think.

Were you Haloshire or Gwynrii? I have two Cyrenian characters myself :P

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2017, 07:26:12 am »

I'm Gwynrii. I also have a Mhaldorian alt because Mhaldor is kind of hurting for RP and I wanted to help out.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2017, 04:26:47 pm »

I'm Gwynrii. I also have a Mhaldorian alt because Mhaldor is kind of hurting for RP and I wanted to help out.

You are such a kind person for playing such an Evil person for their sake.I usually run Flec when I'm on which is rare these days. Used to play the heck out of that game.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7