Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192918 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1470 on: February 18, 2016, 07:23:59 am »

Still talking about Magic?
Cool.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: February 18, 2016, 01:41:41 pm »

That's like saying blue mana and red mana are the same shit because they're both "not green".
With regards to greenness, they are. With regards to blueness (or redness) they aren't. That's why if neither of those existed, it would be a change to add redness to the game.
You're just describing it in a way that's intentionally vague.
It's intentionally reflective of the degree to which a distinction mattered in the past.
Seriously, you could easily interpret "Add one point of mana of no particular color to your mana pool" as adding one mana of any color to your mana pool.
You'd have to be singularly stupid to interpret "no color" as "any color".

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 18, 2016, 02:26:49 pm »

edit: nevermind
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:36:58 pm by penguinofhonor »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: February 18, 2016, 06:03:12 pm »

Here's the thing. You said "colorless mana is generic mana."
Is it in the same family? Yes. No one's arguing that.
As someone who is a magician who studies generic manas, I am telling you, specifically, in magic, no one calls colorless manas generic manas. If you want to be "specific" like you said, then you shouldn't either. They're not the same thing.
If you're saying "generic mana family" you're referring to the taxonomic grouping of Manae, which includes things from manna to leylines to purple manas.
So your reasoning for calling a colorless mana a generic mana is because random people "call the artifact ones generic manas?" Let's get tapping and paying life in there, then, too.
Also, calling someone a human or an ape? It's not one or the other, that's not how taxonomy works. They're both. A colorless mana is a colorless mana and a member of the generic mana family. But that's not what you said. You said a colorless mana is a generic mana, which is not true unless you're okay with calling all members of the generic mana family generic manas, which means you'd call leylines, purple mana, and other manas generic manas, too. Which you said you don't.
It's okay to just admit you're wrong, you know?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 18, 2016, 06:12:47 pm »

I'll put it like this.

In terms of mana... Basically Colorless is just raw magic, completely unrefined and good only for empowering spells without shaping them itself.

It is why the majority of colorless creatures are artifact creatures.

For something to specifically require colorless mana as "colorless mana" (as in it cannot be colored mana) is to somehow give it a special power.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: February 19, 2016, 04:10:34 pm »

Anyone have some Pre-D&D4 books they'd like to destroy for cash?

Looking at their list of desired items, I could get $150-200 out of it. I would very much like to keep my books in functional book format, however, and getting paid peanuts for doing the hard bit of something they're going to turn around and sell doesn't sit right with me either.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: February 25, 2016, 12:53:16 am »

oh shit oh shit, who knows Vampire the Requiem or New World of Darkness

My group (haven't played with them since uh October or so) are starting a Vampire: Requiem campaign.  The problem character from our dnd game is not invited, and he was the reason I left so now I'm back in.

We have three players including me.  We decided on the Ordo Dracul.  The DM described them as the "edgy" covenant, but we spent a couple hours reading their book and decided they were actually pretty decent.  Mad scientists, Tzeentch followers.  Here's out party, and keep in mind I am pretty drunk:

Best friend:  Usually picked the wizard, chose a Gangrel.  He chose Gangrel in VtM:Bloodlines as well.  He is a very, almost unnaturally chill person...  but in RP he enjoys STRIP THE FLESH, SALT THE WOUNDS
But also supporting other PCs because he is a good friend.

Sexy friend-of-friend with girlfriend: Picked """good""" monk before, has DM experience, chose (Ventrue) Malkavian.  He's...  It's possible I have a *minor* crush on him.  He likes to make gay flirts.  But I'm no homewrecker.  He's ready to be the party face as an insane Ventrue, except for intimidation (the Gangrel) or underworld (me)

Me:  Probably Mekhet, since I think Nosferatu is probably problematic.  I've always been really good at keeping track of the setting in the DND game, cataloging details and reminding the other players about the quest hooks.  I started the wiki even...  I'd be the repository of knowledge, and the sneaky spy.

MY QUESTIONS:  Are we doing this alright?  We've all played the VtM:Bloodlines video game, and the Gangrel (super-geek player) has been sharing details of the New World of Darkness for a few weeks.  We're probably mostly going to face Invictus (possibly because I emphasized how Ordo Dracul gets along with the pagans and the cathars) and maybe some Sanctum.  In fact, it's an Invictus city (Charlotte, a close but somewhat remote town to us as players).

I think we're looking forward to a talky game, using intimidate/zany persuasion/stolen secrets to get our way.  Particularly as recently embraced childes enlisted into the local Ordo Dracul out of desperation.  Most early combat is likely to be ghouls I expect, since the local praxis(?) is Invictus.

ALSO: I don't know what bloodline to pick, yet.  Mnemonics (?) are hilarious of course, but maybe OP??  I trust myself not to abuse it, but what other bloodlines would work well here?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: February 25, 2016, 02:47:33 am »

Me? If it's not a long-term game you're planning to seriously invest in I'd just pick whatever and then do something terrible with the character. Like making a PC called Count Ernst Ramone Chocula, or Prince Sparklepants Von Glitternipples. You could be that guy.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:50:38 am by Jimmy »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: February 25, 2016, 03:55:33 pm »

Link for the interestedlazy.

I vastly prefer physical books but that might be too good to pass up. I was planning on stopping by a local Half Price Books after work. If they don't have much Pathfinder stuff, I might just pick it up anyway. Even if I were to never use the PDFs, I'd save a few bucks off of the Beginner Box.

Speaking of game bundles, I used to really enjoy the Bundle of Holding. I've probably posted about them before but they seem to have gotten much more expensive since I last purchased a few years ago. It's still cheap compared to full MSRP, though.

So I apparently lied. I should probably not purchase any more games, despite HPB having Burning Empires, Hero System 5th Edition, and some (like the name says) half-priced D&D 5 books.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:08:37 pm by Mephisto »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: March 03, 2016, 03:41:06 am »

We had our first World of Darkness game, as humans who got (spoiler alert) vampired!  I mean embraced.
Sorry, kinda giddy.  I was really worried but it was a lot of fun.  I and one of the other players did a great job rapidly finding the rules in the PDFs, while our GM wove a great little story for each of our characters in sequence.

One character was a bouncer at a bar.  She tried to bounce a gangrel, and actually did some damage.  now she is teh gangrel

The other character was a conwoman.  She "returned" a TV from the Good Will to Best Buy then hung out at a hotel bar.  A Malkavian seemed like an easy mark.  Now she is the Malkavian...
Except OH wow it went screwy.  Her sire wandered off right before dawn, leaving her in the room alone.  His brother told her to "oh shit, uh just hold still for a second I'll be right back".  So she left (because these people were crazy and she was starving).  Absolutely *massacred* someone in the elevator.  Almost died when it opened up to the lobby.  Went to the top floor and waited.  Eventually the sheriff came to clean up the masquerade and-
She *shot* the sheriff right in the chest.  She got staked.  Woke up and finally had everything explained to her.  Tres Malky.

My character was basically a shadowrunner for a hacker group.  Not so great with computers but super sneaky.  He was hired to go in and hack some servers, really just doing it for the challenge.
Here's where it gets weird.  He went to the security room to deactivate the cameras.  Started rolling awful.  Half-sees his future sire (aka "Senpai") mindwiping a guard and looping the cameras.  Tries to hide but is muttering out loud, senpai mindwipes him and moves on.  After which he shoots the guard with what turned out to be a full ounce of LSD, and gets really confused that the cameras are already looping.  Disappointing first impression, Senpai noticed but ignored him ):

Then he goes down to the servers and suddenly I'm rolling aces.  Sees through senpai's invisibility, assumes senpai is a LSD hallucination (my character didn't *remember* doing any, but has a huge memory gap and is seeing weird shit).  Senpai is hacking servers, my character sneaks past and hacks several other servers first.  Manages to stay hidden until Senpai leaves the room.

Then senpai returns, apparently realizing something was up.  Catches me, but is impressed that he didn't notice me (:  Frankly assumes I'm a vampire, or someone's "ghoul".  "Er, I'm a guy" "...Right."  Leaves me in peace, still thinking I'm working for another vampire.  I escape without difficulty, mission complete.

... Later he realizes his mistake, or part of it was just a test.  The next morning something he left on the computers jumped onto my flash drive then onto my computers, rooting them.  I try to ask my friends for help and only get a message from bite2nite "WE KNOW".  Try to kill my drives and buy an airplane ticket, but my card is apparently flagged as "detain and question".

I flee to a hotel and use the public computer to desperately email one of my contacts.  Reply:  "TICK TOCK".  Night's falling.  I decide I'm stuck in an LSD trip this whole time, and hide in a bathroom stall.
I hear him coming, but don't see him.  It only hurt for a moment...

Wake up later in a hotel room.  Cold, sore, so hungry.  He's typing away on a laptop.  Glances up, tosses me a blood pack.  I don't even question it.
Later:  "So... You're dead!"  *session ends*
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: March 03, 2016, 05:28:22 am »

Are there any good tabletop stories I can read? I read All Guardsmen Party which was based on Dark Heresy and I enjoyed it a lot.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: March 03, 2016, 05:32:29 am »

Shadowrun Story Time.
I'll dig up a link later
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: March 03, 2016, 07:42:28 am »

Are there any good tabletop stories I can read? I read All Guardsmen Party which was based on Dark Heresy and I enjoyed it a lot.

Old Man Henderson  is a good read...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: March 03, 2016, 02:00:34 pm »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: March 03, 2016, 02:07:12 pm »

Old Man Henderson. Why haven't you read it already?
Lamia Child. A version of the Orc Baby dilemma.

Stories about fucking with the DM:
Oscar. I can't really spoil anything, but it's a good read.
Today I must become That Guy, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4. A story about a terrible/creepy DM, tentacle rape and F.A.T.A.L. in space. Go read it. You have been warned.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 131