Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194093 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1155 on: June 30, 2015, 10:01:33 pm »

I would say usually it's a 'no'. But if you two really get along and it's high-RP, you could probably sell it if your personalities are different enough.
But personally I like to leave no niche unfilled. Intperson, Wisperson, Chrperson, Strperson, Dexperson. That way all of your thematic angles are covered, and the GM can't throw 'It's a heavy thing' at your party of wizards.
No idea how large your group is though.

Group size varies from anywhere from four to six or seven players.

The problem is that two incredibly similar playstyles make things a bit boring, even if they are flavoured differently. When it's time for combat and one person says "I do this!" and the other one says "I do what he does!", it tends to make for boring play after a while. Especially if one of them ends up outshining the other by being more efficient, optimized, or powerful, which is why he swapped characters in the last campaign. Jujumancer too stronk for generic grave-humping necromancer to keep pace.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: June 30, 2015, 10:18:47 pm »

While this isn't an issue at the moment, the last time we tried similar characters he had stopped to create a new character, because we were more or less the same. I don't want to take the fun away from another person again.

I would say usually it's a 'no'. But if you two really get along and it's high-RP, you could probably sell it if your personalities are different enough.
But personally I like to leave no niche unfilled. Intperson, Wisperson, Chrperson, Strperson, Dexperson. That way all of your thematic angles are covered, and the GM can't throw 'It's a heavy thing' at your party of wizards.
Surely wizards would have magic to pick up heavy things. I thought DnD wizards were gods. :P
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: June 30, 2015, 10:26:27 pm »

More like the dictator behind the curtain. Only the curtain is made of barbarians.

They get treated with about the same amount of respect though.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 01, 2015, 01:49:03 am »

While this isn't an issue at the moment, the last time we tried similar characters he had stopped to create a new character, because we were more or less the same. I don't want to take the fun away from another person again.

Surely wizards would have magic to pick up heavy things. I thought DnD wizards were gods. :P

Only for a half hour or so per day. Then they rest.

EDIT:
Maybe that's why god rested on the seventh day. To recover his spells.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 01:50:48 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 01, 2015, 06:08:06 am »

New guy joined my weekly D&D group. I really shouldn't have been drinking so much last session, because right now we've just slaughtered four prison guards in the middle of an underground dwarven city in our rather ill-thought attempt to spring his NPC friend from the labor mines, and there's a legion of dwarven centurions right behind us. Thank god my wizard has Fly, Invisibility and Gaseous Form spells prepared as a "screw-you-guys-I'm-going-home" escape plan in case things go badly.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 01, 2015, 10:26:37 am »

New guy joined my weekly D&D group. I really shouldn't have been drinking so much last session, because right now we've just slaughtered four prison guards in the middle of an underground dwarven city in our rather ill-thought attempt to spring his NPC friend from the labor mines, and there's a legion of dwarven centurions right behind us. Thank god my wizard has Fly, Invisibility and Gaseous Form spells prepared as a "screw-you-guys-I'm-going-home" escape plan in case things go badly.
Sounds like some dwarfy escapades.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 03, 2015, 12:21:45 pm »

Over the past week I finally got to play March of the Ants a couple times. It's a board game I got on Kickstarter and it is about being ants. You forage for to feed and evolve your ants while you fight your opponents for space and resources. It's a little complicated and flows kind of differently from most board games, but it's really fun once you get the hang of it. If you and your friends want to be ants, this game is for you.

I also played Sword and Skull earlier this week, which is like pirate Monopoly. Except you have two characters you can move (which adds some strategy) and you can fight people. It's very enjoyable and the mechanics are pretty easy to get.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 05, 2015, 09:55:11 am »

So I stop caring about Warhammer for a year and when I look back I find it destroyed and rebooted.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 05, 2015, 11:08:51 pm »

Pretty much.
Not sure how the ruleset is going to look though. No formations? Will be odd.

In other news:
Splurging on new paintbrushes! Goddamn they're hard to get on this tiny island.
I've heard amazing things about Raphael 8404's and Winsor and Newton Type 7's.
Apparently Kolinsky Sable is the only way to go for wargaming painting.

So far paying ~$80 for 4 brushes.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 06, 2015, 01:22:36 pm »

Don't scare me! I've been considering getting into painting. Nothing major, but I've got a few board games that could use the extra colour.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 06, 2015, 01:31:56 pm »

Don't worry, he's splurging on brushes for his warhammer figurines. You can get a decent set of brushes from a craft store for under $40.

Paint, though, is the expensive part. I can get brushes, but I really don't want to accidentally buy the wrong colours.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1166 on: July 06, 2015, 01:39:39 pm »

I'm pretty sure my brushes cost me under four dollars and produce okayish paintjobs (skill is the problem more than tools). Also can't you just mix colours?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: July 06, 2015, 07:34:32 pm »

Oh yeah I've got a bunch of $3 paintbrushes.
But when you're trying to paint the iris on an eyeball on a head the size of a pinhead, I'll take whatever help I can get.

V Edit: Be an arts & crafts nerd, paint things for rich RPG nerds, and the hobby almost pays for itself.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:07:19 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 06, 2015, 08:32:20 pm »

That's why tabletop Warhammer isn't for me. I don't have the money or the patience to be an RPG nerd and an arts & crafts nerd
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 07, 2015, 08:13:21 am »

That's why tabletop Warhammer isn't for me. I don't have the money or the patience to be an RPG nerd and an arts & crafts nerd

For me it's just the cost of getting an army, then expanding that army, then being excited to start up another army... It would just go on and on, I know myself. Plus it's easy to set up a board game night with a few friends, whereas none of them have any miniature wargaming armies. Though I've heard that Warmahorde is (relatively speaking) cheap...

But lately I've seen plenty of cool paint jobs on minis, even from beginner type posters. Since I own a fair few games with miniatures, I'm itching to get some tools and start painting too. Seems like an amusing way to spend an afternoon or ten.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 131