Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194045 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1095 on: June 12, 2015, 02:57:43 pm »

Antimagic field, sor/wiz 6, cleric 8, magic 6, protection 6

No more mage-fuckery.
I see you aren't familiar with typical wizarding headgear - you make a cone out of Adamantine tall enough to contain you and make contact with the ground, and cast Shrink Item on it, selecting the clothlike option. You wear this as a hat. As soon as you enter a surprise AMF, Shrink Item is suppressed, the cone expands to full size and drops down. It blocks line of effect, allowing the wizard within to teleport out. This is why wizard hats are pointy.

Plus, AMF is the first thing people think of when they think of ways to fuck a wizard over, and that means it's the first thing the wizard figures out how to thwart (perhaps by learning Invoke Magic, a spell in Lords of Madness that can be cast as a swift action inside an AMF to allow the wizard to cast another spell that turn within the AMF). Silence tends to work better, because Silent Spell carries a hefty drawback (counts as a level higher) and nobody expects it to be relevant.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: June 12, 2015, 02:57:44 pm »

He's not playing a wizard this time. As I mentioned, he's a rogue/cleric/PrC.

Though he plans to be a wizard again soon, and be an even more evil one than our current necromancer wizard. That's going to suck, because the party's current wizard is lawful evil, and has actually managed to make the DM get up and leave the room because he was making things too dark.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: June 12, 2015, 02:58:38 pm »

He once read a farcical min-max guide on wizards that jokingly claimed that by playing a wizard, you are a god, and that you should act like it in-game and out. I don't think he realized it wasn't meant to be serious.
You mean, wizards aren't gods? *shock*
Well, he is playing Pathfinder. Wizards suck slightly less in PF from what I've heard.

...That reminds me that I've never actually played Pathfinder. I want to try it someday.

Uhhh Wizards in 3.5 didn't suck... In fact you could say Wizards suck more in pathfinder because all the other non-magic classes suddenly can pull their weight.

There are a lot of magic combinations in 3.5 that are nearly broken without too much book diving, and their "instant kill" capability is much higher than in pathfinder.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: June 12, 2015, 02:59:09 pm »

I meant "more".

Gaaah.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: June 12, 2015, 03:00:05 pm »

Antimagic field, sor/wiz 6, cleric 8, magic 6, protection 6

No more mage-fuckery.
I see you aren't familiar with typical wizarding headgear - you make a cone out of Adamantine tall enough to contain you and make contact with the ground, and cast Shrink Item on it, selecting the clothlike option. You wear this as a hat. As soon as you enter a surprise AMF, Shrink Item is suppressed, the cone expands to full size and drops down. It blocks line of effect, allowing the wizard within to teleport out. This is why wizard hats are pointy.

Plus, AMF is the first thing people think of when they think of ways to fuck a wizard over, and that means it's the first thing the wizard figures out how to thwart (perhaps by learning Invoke Magic, a spell in Lords of Madness that can be cast as a swift action inside an AMF to allow the wizard to cast another spell that turn within the AMF). Silence tends to work better, because Silent Spell carries a hefty drawback (counts as a level higher) and nobody expects it to be relevant.

And I see you are unfamiliar with the DM principle of, 'NO'.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: June 12, 2015, 03:02:05 pm »

And I see you are unfamiliar with the DM principle, of 'NO'.
Oh, heavens, no, I love that one, but if we're going that route than I think we can all agree that AMF is an entirely superfluous step. Generally, when you have problem wizards in the first place, Rule 0 is not terribly well-applied.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: June 12, 2015, 03:03:41 pm »

You are aware NullForceOmega that a adamantine "bell" large enough to contain a person... costs hundreds of thousands of gold at minimum. Sorry if he is trying to do what I think he is trying to do... Tens of millions of gold.

Not that the bell protects the wizard from the antimagic field... at all.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: June 12, 2015, 03:03:57 pm »

Well yes, I can certainly agree with that, but the tools have been provided to allow you to control players that have gone over the wall, so be prepared to use them.  I guess that is what I was actually trying to say with the spell quote.

And yes Neo, I know that, and it is one of the silliest attempts to meta I've ever heard.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: June 12, 2015, 03:09:34 pm »

Well yes, I can certainly agree with that, but the tools have been provided to allow you to control players that have gone over the wall, so be prepared to use them.  I guess that is what I was actually trying to say with the spell quote.

And yes Neo, I know that, and it is one of the silliest attempts to meta I've ever heard.
Ah, yes, well that's certainly fair enough.

The bell does work, however. AMF's area of effect is a spread; it doesn't penetrate barriers. And you don't have to use Adamantine (that's mostly an element of class; a more practical Wizard will just cast Wall of Iron and Fabricate it into the appropriate shape), but you do have to deal with the fact that the ground is not perfectly flat; this will require some mechanical skill to create a cone whose base is loaded on some sort of retractable bearings that allow it to adjust to the particular surface on which it lands to whatever tolerance blocking Line of Effect requires.

It's just really stupid. Sort of like trying to set up an instantaneous package delivery service by setting up a line of Commoners with readied actions to hand the package to the next person in line, it technically works by the rules, but it shouldn't and fuck you for trying.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: June 12, 2015, 03:10:54 pm »

Basically, if your new way of gaming the system sounds like it should be in a Terry Prachett novel... don't.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: June 12, 2015, 03:13:03 pm »

So no consulting the Necrotelicomnicon?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: June 12, 2015, 03:19:01 pm »

Ah, yes, well that's certainly fair enough.

The bell does work, however. AMF's area of effect is a spread; it doesn't penetrate barriers. And you don't have to use Adamantine (that's mostly an element of class; a more practical Wizard will just cast Wall of Iron and Fabricate it into the appropriate shape), but you do have to deal with the fact that the ground is not perfectly flat; this will require some mechanical skill to create a cone whose base is loaded on some sort of retractable bearings that allow it to adjust to the particular surface on which it lands to whatever tolerance blocking Line of Effect requires.

It's just really stupid. Sort of like trying to set up an instantaneous package delivery service by setting up a line of Commoners with readied actions to hand the package to the next person in line, it technically works by the rules, but it shouldn't and fuck you for trying.

Emanation, not spread.  As for the meta, that kind of silliness would definitely be blocked at my table (especially a feat/spell that could mysteriously negate the basic function of an AMF, likewise I don't allow most supplements, they're terrible), and repeating it would get you booted from my group.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: June 12, 2015, 03:22:07 pm »

So no consulting the Necrotelicomnicon?
Mention of Mrs Cake is also banned.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: June 12, 2015, 03:27:20 pm »

The bell does work, however. AMF's area of effect is a spread; it doesn't penetrate barriers

It isn't a barrier until it fills up an entire block.

But lets see... a Level 20 Wizard can shrink 40 cubic feet.

Which isn't enough to pull off the plan.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:34:23 pm by Neonivek »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: June 12, 2015, 03:41:01 pm »

The biggest problem with using AMF against wizards is that it's a spell, meaning that non-magic characters actually cannot use it, barring magical scrolls/items. Also, as it is a spell, nothing prevents the wizard from casting it first and using some metamagic to exclude himself from the area-of-effect...
._.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 131