Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192785 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2014, 01:35:24 pm »

Incidentally, here's an interesting read I forgot I had saved regarding skills in 5e.
That's from a playtest from early last year. Skill dice don't even exist in this version, and chains are DC 20 to break. I'm not saying the skill system isn't still a little wonky, but the numbers for 5e posted in that thread are irrelevant at this point.

This is a thread that was made after the Basic rules were released.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2014, 01:56:58 pm »

Are there any underwater PnPs? I desperately want to find a good system for personal underwater combat. Failing that, one for fighting in zero-g that I can adapt.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2014, 02:26:34 pm »

We MtG thread now?

Incidentally, here's an interesting read I forgot I had saved regarding skills in 5e.
That's from a playtest from early last year. Skill dice don't even exist in this version, and chains are DC 20 to break. I'm not saying the skill system isn't still a little wonky, but the numbers for 5e posted in that thread are irrelevant at this point.

This is a thread that was made after the Basic rules were released.
Ah, thanks, I missed that. It still looks a bit strange, yeah, but nowhere near as bad. I'd still take it as evidence that they're flying by the seat of their pants rather than thinking things through thoroughly in advance, though, which says bad things--that's how we got the Truenamer, after all.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2014, 02:38:26 pm »

I also hate it when a game isn't 100% balanced at the moment of conception.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2014, 02:41:38 pm »

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:09:51 am by penguinofhonor »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2014, 02:44:20 pm »

I'm planning on gathering a group of friends and playing the Game of Thrones Boardgame. I haven't played it before but the rules are a bit thick. Aside from re-re-rereading the rules beforehand, and doing a dummy practice game against myself, does anyone who's played it have any advice on teaching it to a bunch of new comers?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2014, 02:59:18 pm »

I also hate it when a game isn't 100% balanced at the moment of conception.
Hue hue hue. The content is goofy, but that's not what it's about, it's that whoever came up with that needed feedback to realize that it was a bad idea. It's the same pattern that made certain things in 3.5 laughable. Things ranging from severely underpowered to virtually nonfunctional without massive shenanigans were released and never officially fixed. A system where an Epic-level character is incompetent by normal human standards either by way of being an ineffectual JOAT or a focused savant who still falls below peak human performance is not something where you should need second opinions and careful consideration to realize that something's off; it's like whoever writes stuff like that doesn't even bother proofreading their own work and has to be pinged just to realize that their unbalanced bullshit is unbalanced bullshit.

Let's put this in perspective. The public playtest of DnDNext began in May of 2012. They didn't release the Basic Rules until 2014. Going by the logic of, "Hey, it's not in the game any more," doesn't really carry that much weight when they needed two years of public playtesting to fix stuff that should have been flagged before they even went public with the system.

Certainly that skill system was cut and changed, but the simple fact that whoever came up with it didn't notice the problem while they were designing it, and nobody around them shot it down right away says quite a lot. It's the same sort of thing as those "This game will be every genre of game in one!" projects on Kickstarter if the 'dev' takes advice and cuts the dating sim elements or the RTS element or whatever; that's less total stupidity in the project proposal, but that doesn't mean there isn't still a fundamental problem with the guy proposing it. It's much the same here: I'd love to see 5e be a great system, but I really have doubts about Wizards' ability to pull it off.

But by all means, continue with the snide one-liners.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2014, 03:32:43 pm »

Personally it doesn't matter to me because after 4e came out I said "fuck this, I'm not buying any more WoTC products".

EDIT:
Of course it doesn't really matter since I could never get a group together either way.
(If any of you are in southeastern pennsylvania or southwest new jersey and interested in playing Paranoia or Toon I'd like to hear from you)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:37:28 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2014, 04:42:10 pm »

PTW; potentially interesting thread.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2014, 06:41:51 pm »

You know what flying dice, I've thought about it some. And in the end decided that you are right and that I was wrong. I'm sorry.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2014, 10:05:59 pm »

Personally it doesn't matter to me because after 4e came out I said "fuck this, I'm not buying any more WoTC products".
You might want to limit that thought to RPG's, since Betrayal at House on the Hill is a damn fine game.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2014, 11:58:31 pm »

You might want to limit that thought to RPG's, since Betrayal at House on the Hill is a damn fine game.

Welo, I have bought a couple of their products since then Though I try to buy them secondhand so that they don't make any money from it (I think that they're rushing these editions out to wring mpre cash out of their players and I won't be party to it. And its not even just Wizards of the Coast actually, but Hasboro in general tends to pull that kind of bullshit Princess Twilight Sparkle my ass...)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2014, 12:30:46 am »

I think that they're rushing these editions out to wring mpre cash out of their players and I won't be party to it.

Maybe. 3.5e was[Apparently. I never abused the loopholes that much myself and had a bunch of fun with it.] horribly unbalanced and at some point, someone high up decided to fix that and made 4e, which, while better balanced, was approximately as bland as pudding. Cardboard pudding. So 5e is more backpedaling from the negative response from the fans so they don't lose their customers.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2014, 01:53:56 am »

But. The 3.5 loopholes are amazing!

So are homebrews! I'm in a CoC/3.5 campaign and wizards are allowed to take metamagic/reserve feats instead of creation feats because creation is going to cost SAN.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2014, 03:04:45 am »

Are there any underwater PnPs? I desperately want to find a good system for personal underwater combat.
D&D 3.5's Stormwrack splatbook has some pretty okay rules for it, but if you don't know D&D 3.5 already and you want to make use of its more advanced underwater/flying combat rules right away, you may be in for a bumpy ride.

But yeah, my favorite part about D&D 3.5 is that it's so ridiculously easy to make homebrew for if you need something that you can't do with the already astronomically wide character options. Fax Celestis has a pretty good homebrew repository, and there are lots of people who have succeeded in making classes as balanced as the official ones, or more so. (Or just really interesting to play.)

PTW in case you people start talking about MTG :P
I admit that I am a filthy casual when it comes to building decks, having not spent more than ~$15 on a single one, and I only have three and a half working decks. I'm the sort of player that plays to make stupid combos happen, and the wackier the cards involved the better. My decks:

Mono-White Soldier Tribal Deck: I think everyone has made or played one of these at some point, it's just a pile of soldiers that all make soldiers more powerful, and it makes a bunch of soldier tokens to pump up. It includes a hilarious combination between Palace Guard and Gift of Immortality. This deck is extremely good at beating other token decks, deals with enchantments pretty well, but gets slaughtered by heavy burn decks or (obviously) unblockable creatures and creatures with protection from white.

Red-Green Mana Ramp Firebreathing Extravaganza: This is arguably my best deck, and my favorite to play. It has a bunch of druids, land fetches and tutors, a couple Zhur-Taa ancients to massively increase mana production, and Soulbright Flamekin for wacky red mana production. It usually ends in fire, dragons, more dragons, or minotaurs, depending on the match. On rare occasions it ends via Robo-Timmy.

Blue+Artifact Robot Apocalypse: This is a really silly deck. It plays four Ornithopters, Phyrexian Walkers, Shield Spheres, and Memnites to just cover the board in shitty zero-CMC artifact creatures. The deck also has a pair of Masters of Etherium, but I'm too cheap to get a full playset. The key card in the deck is Mirrorweave, which can turn every single shitty robot into an Artifact Lord. That combination is a staple, but it's not why I built the deck. I built the deck to create an army of Colossal Whales that devour my opponent's entire roster of creatures permanently and strike for massive damage. I also built the deck to deal with a friend's particularly cheesy deck that is basically unassailable by creatures thanks to massive amounts of lifelink and fog effects. How? Turn all of my creatures into Bronze Bombshells and pass them off with a Sky Swallower. I've only managed to win that way once, but it was immensely satisfying.

"I play Sky Swallower, and that'll be it for my turn. You get all of my permanents."

"Uh... okay? Why not attack with them first, at least?"

"You also take 77 damage from your new Bronze Bombshells."

"..."
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:43:16 am by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 131