Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257271 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #3120 on: February 02, 2015, 06:13:05 am »

Quote from: Knit tie
And Sevastopol currently belongs to the Crimean Tatars to the same extent to which it belongs to all other peoples living there. I'd say that's fair.

For as long as Crimea remains a part of the Russian Federation and not an independent state where Crimean Tatar language has as much official usage as Russian I don't think so. Until then Crimea is just another little Russian Ulster.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:17:03 am by Owlbread »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: February 02, 2015, 06:18:33 am »

So Knit Tie, you're basically saying that Russia nabbed Crimea because it though it could get away with it and wanted it?
And also because of irredentist arguments a-la "Crimea is Russia!"

Also, Sheb, you can call me German by this point, everybody knows my name already anyway.

Quote from: Knit tie
And Sevastopol currently belongs to the Crimean Tatars to the same extent to which it belongs to all other peoples living there. I'd say that's fair.

For as long as Crimea remains a part of the Russian Federation and not an independent state where Crimean Tatar language has as much official usage as Russian I don't think so. Until then Crimea is just another little Russian Ulster.
Well I guess they'll have to just deal with it, then.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: February 02, 2015, 06:21:45 am »

Just like Irish Catholics don't "just have to deal with it" in the North of Ireland while there's still people across the world that can see something isn't right there, neither do the Crimean Tatars.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: February 02, 2015, 06:23:27 am »

Just like Irish Catholics don't "just have to deal with it" in the North of Ireland while there's still people across the world that can see something isn't right there, neither do the Crimean Tatars.
Tell that to Dwarfy. No, seriously.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: February 02, 2015, 06:24:18 am »

I do on a regular basis. He doesn't like it.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: February 02, 2015, 06:29:49 am »

I do on a regular basis. He doesn't like it.
And neither do I! How about we meet in real life and have a fistfight?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: February 02, 2015, 06:30:45 am »

Also, Sheb, you can call me German by this point, everybody knows my name already anyway.
I dunno - I value the distinction between 'person as Bay12er' and 'person as civilian'. No need to mmuddle the boundary.

And apparently the German government has warned against supplying Ukraine with arms - I guess that's what you get when you vote Ossis and non-centrist Social Democrats into power.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: February 02, 2015, 06:35:13 am »

I dunno - I value the distinction between 'person as Bay12er' and 'person as civilian'. No need to mmuddle the boundary.

And apparently the German government has warned against supplying Ukraine with arms - I guess that's what you get when you vote Ossis and non-centrist Social Democrats into power.
And do you, personally, support this initiative of arming Ukraine, Helgo?

As for the distinction between my real life and my internet personae, I deliberately avoid it as a way of stopping myself from becoming a GIFT.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: February 02, 2015, 06:35:55 am »

It's funny that's actually possible now, but I live about 70 miles away from you in the mountains so it may be difficult.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: February 02, 2015, 06:40:01 am »

It's funny that's actually possible now, but I live about 70 miles away from you in the mountains so it may be difficult.
The only reason why I am saying this is because it really is possible right now, baseless threats over the internet I consider to be below me.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: February 02, 2015, 07:13:33 am »

If you folks do have a fistfight, I demand a livestream!
And do you, personally, support this initiative of arming Ukraine, Helgo?

As for the distinction between my real life and my internet personae, I deliberately avoid it as a way of stopping myself from becoming a GIFT.
Sure I do - Russia arms the separatists, so even neglecting the legitimacy the Ukrainian government has as opposed to the separatists it's only fair. And how else can we stage a second Afghanistan? Your countrymen won't kill themselves, you know.

And I guess it's important to realize that all forumites here post pseudonymously, not anonymously. We all have some social standing, some reputation here, as well as peer groups and other social feedback mechanisms. What difference does it make, then, whether we call you Knit or German?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: February 02, 2015, 07:15:34 am »

Well for one the latter would confuse me greatly since you're the resident German dude here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: February 02, 2015, 07:17:08 am »

I don't. And your first name is Gernan?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: February 02, 2015, 07:30:03 am »

If you pronounce it with a Ukrainian accent it sounds a bit like Herman.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: February 02, 2015, 07:32:17 am »

I don't. And your first name is Gernan?
German Olegovich Rudakov. And German is just a name, I am not German in nationality or ethnicity at all.

EDIT: It is indeed a Russian version of "Hermann."
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 220