Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257325 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #3045 on: January 31, 2015, 10:48:15 pm »

And what happens if that oil money dries up?

As far as the sanctions, they aren't even the tough sanctions like those on Iran or NK.
When oil money dries up, Russia will lose about 16% of its GDP. Unpleasant, but nowhere near lethal.

Thats in a healthy economy though.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: January 31, 2015, 10:52:44 pm »

You haven't read that Russian economy article I linked, have you? The data there comes from the world bank, by the way. Here it is, straight from the source.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:01:56 pm by Knit tie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: January 31, 2015, 11:06:38 pm »

Nope I havent, too lazy to read 60 something pages right now. Looking at world bank data though.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: January 31, 2015, 11:09:31 pm »

And do notice the GDP growth forecast on Russia's homepage. I'd say this is a resonable price for the gloriously reunified Crimea and terrified Europansies :P.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: January 31, 2015, 11:21:02 pm »

And do notice the GDP growth forecast on Russia's homepage. I'd say this is a resonable price for the gloriously reunified Crimea and terrified Europansies :P.

Looks kind of rollercoastery though. Tried looking at other European countries and not all have that. Using iPhone atm anyway.

Ukraines forecast looks pretty, optimistic, don't you think?

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: January 31, 2015, 11:50:16 pm »

Looks kind of rollercoastery though. Tried looking at other European countries and not all have that. Using iPhone atm anyway.

Ukraines forecast looks pretty, optimistic, don't you think?
Other European countries don't tend to sell oil, unlike Russia.

And about Ukraine, considering that it's still a developing country in the phase of economic recovery, and thus, by definition, has higher GDP growth rates than developed countries, I don't see why that forecast is unlikely to be accurate. High GDP growth rates, at the same time, do not necessarily translate into high GDP levels. Look at Tajikistan to see what I mean - rapid GDP increase, widespread poverty.

And by the way, note how Ukraine actually has lower GDP growth rates than other developing European and Middle Eastern countries do on average. There's a reason why one of its derisive nicknames is "Khokhlostan."

EDIT: Since I am posting so many links today, here's one of the better pieces about Crimea I've encountered so far. And speaking of Crimea, that "40% of Crimeans for unification with Russia" poll that was brought up several times before - it, as it turns out, doesn't exactly ask if Crimea and Russia should be united, but rather if Ukraine as a whole and Russia should be united. And that, I believe, is quite a different question.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:48:52 am by Knit tie »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: February 01, 2015, 01:46:01 am »

When oil money dries up, Russia will lose about 16% of its GDP. Unpleasant, but nowhere near lethal.

Like how you assume that 16% of GDP is not much....  Sadly maniac doesn't visit the thread anymore.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: February 01, 2015, 01:50:19 am »

Like how you assume that 16% of GDP is not much....  Sadly maniac doesn't visit the thread anymore.

To quote myself:
Unpleasant, but nowhere near lethal.
And that's assuming that it dries up entirely, i.e. people will completely stop buying both oil and gas.

Anyway, UR, I always wanted to ask you, how do you think Ukraine will be able to get out of its current economic crisis? And when?

EDIT: And finally, just for fun, here's an article about how NATO was just an instrument of the US foreign policy. To be consumed with salt. Scratch that, it's rather reasonable, actually.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:12:14 am by Knit tie »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: February 01, 2015, 02:02:02 am »

For economical growth we need hard work, reforms, eradication of corruption... Those are crawling due to various reasons (mostly because productive forces of the nation are busy waging war with external threat)

Ukraine has enough resources and educated workforce to have a good stable growth if current problems will be solved. At least we have a chance, Russia has no other fate but repeating late USSR.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: February 01, 2015, 02:07:46 am »

For economical growth we need hard work, reforms, eradication of corruption...
I am afraid that's just general semantics - every country needs hard work, reforms and eradication of corruption. Do you have any concrete proposals on how to bring these three things into Ukraine?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: February 01, 2015, 02:14:34 am »

Does hanging each and every Ukrainian judge counts as a plan?

To be serious I am not a professional in economics but logic says - look at successful reforms and copypaste it. Ukraine is not the first country that is facing this decease.

+ Social awareness, fighting against corruption on all levels by all necessary means. From peaceful protests and media campaigns to "accidents" with some politicians

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: February 01, 2015, 02:36:58 am »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: February 01, 2015, 07:55:25 am »

I think that was mentioned... two pages ago? Nope, just one page ago.
I only posted a German link though. Knit has a point: It's rather reasonable to try this woman for treason, but in doing so Russia essentially admits its shenanigans with regular troops deployed in Ukraine disguised as volunteers...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: February 01, 2015, 08:00:08 am »

At least we have a chance, Russia has no other fate but repeating late USSR.
What makes you think that?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 220