Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257586 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #2895 on: January 28, 2015, 10:28:54 am »

No, I legitimately haven't heard anything about them. If they're getting genocided there, they're doing it in a very stealthy way.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: January 28, 2015, 10:30:31 am »

@Helgo: Poll.

I sure as hell could've posted a shitload of Russophone sources, such as this one, saying that Crimeans want to join Russia, most of which were written by Crimeans themselves, but I don't think you are not going to reject those out of hand as "propaganda."

Also your narrative neatly ignore that a mere 40% of Crimean wanted to join Russia (or even identified as Russians) prior to the Maidan. And that the Russian soldiers were presented as local militamen.
So what? Is it not possible for the Crimean populace to change its opinion due to being scared of the new government in Kyiv?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:36:49 am by Knit tie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: January 28, 2015, 10:33:12 am »

nonono, the way I see it is that the FGR and GDR immediately (well, not so much immediately as it being a somewhat slower proccess) merged into each other when the Berlin wall fell because.... that's just how I view it.

No, I legitimately haven't heard anything about them. If they're getting genocided there, they're doing it in a very stealthy way.

Yeah, the focus has been on the Donbass, Donetsk, and Luhansk areas for a while.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:34:57 am by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: January 28, 2015, 10:34:57 am »

Well, the Tatar TV station was raided again a few days ago. Various Tatar activists have been deported from Crimea. The Tatar representative council thinky was raided and shut down a few months ago...

Not genocide of course (Despite all the parallels with that previous Germany from a geopolitical point of views, modern Russia in not evil.), but the situation of the Tatars certainly deteriorated under the new leadership. Not entirely surprising, since there was a distinct effort by Kiev to bring the Tatar back in order to weaken Crimea's russian identity. Still not nice.

@Knit Tie: from 40% in favor to 97% in favor? Seriously?

@smjjames: Well, sadly, reality is not as you saw it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: January 28, 2015, 10:42:29 am »

@Knit Tie: from 40% in favor to 97% in favor? Seriously?
We should also consider that when those 40% results were recieved, nobody really considered reunification with Russia a possibility. It was a far-fetched speculation, at most, back then. Don't you think it's likely that more pro-Russian people would say they support reunification with Russia when it's within grasping reach, as opposed to when it's just a fantasy?

Hell, have some Karlin on the topic.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: January 28, 2015, 10:48:59 am »

True, it could also be argued that that the vote was done after manipulating the local opinion: the Russian media were blaring about the "Fascist junta", and presenting the Kiev government as some sort of right-wing neo-nazi job, while Svoboda and the Right sector got less than 5% of the votes.

Don't you agree that legitimate, free elections require more than just a vote, like media access by both side?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: January 28, 2015, 11:07:06 am »

By that logic, legitimate and free elections are almost nonexistent in the world, Sheb.

But speaking of Russia manipulating public opinion, I don't think that Russian control over the Crimean media could've happened without an overwhelming a priori public support, just as Russian "polite people" couldn't have infiltrated Crimea without the same overwhelming a priori public support.

Oh and by the way, the guy who is behind Colonel Cassad is writing a book on Crimean secession, I am honestly looking forward to it.

EDIT: You haven't read the link, have you?

EDITEDIT: Speaking of Cassad. So far, the rebel advance has stopped, the fate of the entire operation hinges upon the fate of the Debaltsevo pocket.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:09:42 am by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: January 28, 2015, 11:12:36 am »

At this point I'm pretty sure the only way for the West to listen to our point of view would be if we present it to them at a gunpoint.

Thus, we should try to accelerate this event into reality. This means making sure that the West considers Russia to be evil, because this will bring closer the war between us. The faster it occurs the less casualties there will be.
._.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: January 28, 2015, 11:16:43 am »

By that logic, legitimate and free elections are almost nonexistent in the world, Sheb.

This unfortunately is probably 100% true - especially when money meets media and political interest.
This is a blank sig.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: January 28, 2015, 11:18:23 am »

Considering the inability for Russia to conquer Ukraine [and ignoring all Russia has lost in influence and economic stability in order to accomplish what it has], with Ukraine's "weak" military, I wouldn't be so excited for that prospect. Then again, regime change is necessary.

This unfortunately is probably 100% true - especially when money meets media and political interest.

Yes, money being used as influence in society is the same as creating votes out of thin air and otherwise having people 'vote' at gunpoint.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: January 28, 2015, 11:19:49 am »

Hey, choosing between Russia and a bullet is still choosing!

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: January 28, 2015, 11:21:02 am »

At this point I'm pretty sure the only way for the West to listen to our point of view would be if we present it to them at a gunpoint.

Thus, we should try to accelerate this event into reality. This means making sure that the West considers Russia to be evil, because this will bring closer the war between us. The faster it occurs the less casualties there will be.
BLOOD FOR THE BEAR GOD!!! SKULLS FOR THE TSAR THRONE!!! LET THE WASHINGTON BUUUUUUUUUUURN!!!

@Dutchling: I highly recommend you read that link I posted above.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: January 28, 2015, 11:21:29 am »

But speaking of Russia manipulating public opinion, I don't think that Russian control over the Crimean media could've happened without an overwhelming a priori public support, just as Russian "polite people" couldn't have infiltrated Crimea without the same overwhelming a priori public support.

Actually, it's pretty simple.  When the polite men marched in, the first places they seized included the state television and radio broadcasting company.  The only independent television channel, Black Sea TV, was shut down in the beginning of March before the referendum, officially with no reason given, unofficially after threats levied against its journalists.  Five television channels assigned to Ukrainian television stations were blocked on March 6-7, and their frequencies turned over to Russian stations.  That's just for starters.  It doesn't require "overwhelming" public support to accomplish anything like this.  Just men with guns.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: January 28, 2015, 11:22:19 am »

Knit Tie: I did read the link. I still consider myself unconvinced.

Edit: Knit Tie, I must apologize for one thing. Sometime I think of you as a rabid, irrational nationalist. Then I read Mict's posts and I realize you're not that bad.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: January 28, 2015, 11:23:01 am »

Considering the inability for Russia to conquer Ukraine [and ignoring all Russia has lost in influence and economic stability in order to accomplish what it has], with Ukraine's "weak" military, I wouldn't be so excited for that prospect. Then again, regime change is necessary.

Yes, money being used as influence in society is the same as creating votes out of thin air and otherwise having people 'vote' at gunpoint.

Corruption and oppression take many forms. In any case, I never said that it was the same. If you can find a democratic process that is totally unbiased and objective in any way, I would be literally dumbfounded. Those of us in the west may not get forced to vote at gunpoint, or suffer due to overt electoral fraud, as is the case in some places around the world, but if your representative is being paid by a lobbyist to act in their interests and not yours, its not as if your vote really mattered either.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 220