Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258413 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #1635 on: January 06, 2015, 10:01:48 am »

if you join the eu for sovereignty you're going to be the same sort of cunts the united kingdom is to the rest of it

is this really what you want? we might as well dissolve the damn thing already

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: January 06, 2015, 10:13:03 am »

if you join the eu for sovereignty you're going to be the same sort of cunts the united kingdom is to the rest of it

is this really what you want? we might as well dissolve the damn thing already

Yeah, considering that the Baltics especially are tiny, in practice defenseless nations that directly border Russia, yes they do have more to say about their matters in Brussels than out of it. Ragtag EU is still far from a federation but I dont think its any less capable of decision making than, say, US congress, and its better to fight in the parliament than at the borders, guns or without. Unfortunately it looks like the UK is giving up.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: January 06, 2015, 10:47:37 am »

Greece is very much on the verge of giving up, too.

Which is funny, since the EU fanatics were so sure of it's unquestionable benefits to everyone in the Union that they didn't really made a procedure for leaving EU.

Though this discussions' grasp have overreached to meddle with the affairs of a thread another, so rails maintainment might be suggested, for the sake of rule of law, lest it be downfall of whole.

EDIT: God damn the intricacy of the brackets square! Curse you and your right angles!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:19:47 am by Sergarr »
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: January 06, 2015, 10:51:00 am »

Aww, look what you did, you guys broke Sergarr!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: January 06, 2015, 10:52:42 am »

From what I know, Greece has been nothing but a massive money sink for the EU. That might be oversimplifying it, but yeah, they have all kinds of problems.

Aww, look what you did, you guys broke Sergarr!

Huh?

Edit: Oh, screwed up grammar in the last part.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: January 06, 2015, 11:02:37 am »

If Greece hadn't been in the EU then EU banks would have lost a shitton money on the plunge in the drachma that would have resulted from Greek crisis austerity.  The EU would then need to spend a massive amount of money bailing out those banks to prevent exact the same problem, counter party risk.

Governments support fractional reserve banking systems for good reasons(TM) but it means that banks are in a far more leveraged position then other investors.  This means that the potential collapse in banks is always very, very high if it turns out they have misread risk.

I imagine the costs would have been higher because EU lawmakers would have been even slower to address the problem and the sooner you nip it in the bud the better.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: January 06, 2015, 11:24:02 am »

The problem with Greece is that it hasn't been ended for 6 years and it's still in that same bad shape after 6 years of counter-measures supposed to fix that problem, but now the whole EU economy is also in a worse shape than it was 6 years ago.

Certainty in the bright future of the monetary union of European countries this gives not.

._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: January 06, 2015, 11:52:19 am »

Greece will recover whenever the eurozone returns to normal financial market conditions (natural benchmark rates above 25 basis points).  The Eurozone in 2009 was embarking on a new crisis and was nowhere near that point.  The Eurozone today isn't quite there but is getting close.  The US has been ahead of Europe in the recovery for a couple years now but the US should be back to normal conditions this year.  Once the US flips over it will drag Europe along. Recent positive supply shocks and the passing of earlier negative supply shocks will hasten normal conditions in Europe.  A year from now we should have a good idea of when Europe will be in normal condition.  Whenever that happens the bleeding will stop in Greece because once the EU is back in normal conditions austerity wont loom over Greece anymore and foreign investors are going to be bullish.  Depreciation is a stupid way to make labor competitive but it has happened so between that and putting excess labor back to work Greece will sustain rapid growth for a while once the recovery starts.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: January 06, 2015, 12:48:12 pm »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: January 06, 2015, 09:17:57 pm »

One interesting Russian social experiment on youtube

The video has two parts, in the first one a guy of North Caucasian appearance acts aggressively toward a girl of Slavic appearance and in the second part the situation is reversed. Russian guys acts aggressively toward north Caucasian girl. The video shows difference in reaction.

Knowing Russian is a nice bonus but everything is rather obvious even without knowing what they are talking about. 

Knit Tie will likely say that the whole thing is heavily redacted but I doubt it.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: January 06, 2015, 10:50:31 pm »

Knit Tie will likely say that the whole thing is heavily redacted but I doubt it.
Why not Sergarr or Guardian? :P

Anyway, the difference in reactions is not surprising in the slightest, as it is not due to the horrible inhumanity of the despicable katsapy and the nobility of the Caucasian warriors, but rather due to the fact that Caucasian people constitute a minority in most Russian societies that frequently comes under attack from various less desirable elements, and as such most of the Caucasian diaspora in Russia is very tightly knit and learns quickly to look out for its own. Russians, on the other hand, exhibit the typical reaction of modern city dwellers - indifference towards those whom they don't personally know. The experiment is thus biased due to the dependent variable, reaction to percieved aggression towards a member of their national group, being affected by more than the independent variable, nationality, and so I wouldn't consider its results to be objective unless they are confirmed by a string of similar experiments in different environments, such as a Caucasian-majority city, a Russian village, a Caucasian village and maybe even a small provincial town on the border of Dagestan where the numbers of Russians and Caucasians are approximately equal.

EDIT: I took a look at the youtube channel that made the video that UR is linking, it's a bit vacuous and platitudinous, but here's a video of most Russians in Moscow being willing to help Ukrainian refugees.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:01:57 am by Knit tie »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: January 07, 2015, 06:55:38 am »

EDIT: I took a look at the youtube channel that made the video that UR is linking, it's a bit vacuous and platitudinous, but here's a video of most Russians in Moscow being willing to help Ukrainian refugees.
Note the usual inter-ethnic shitflinging between Ukrainians and Russians in the comment section.

Also, there were reports of scammers masquerading as Ukrainian refugees in the Russian media. It might explain the hostility expressed towards Ukrainian refugees by some people in that video.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:12:03 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: January 07, 2015, 08:10:37 am »

Note the usual inter-ethnic shitflinging between Ukrainians and Russians in the comment section.
Show me a youtube video without shitflinging of some sort in the comments and I'll wash your car for a year.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: January 07, 2015, 08:14:30 am »

Show me a youtube video without shitflinging of some sort in the comments and I'll wash your car for a year.

thing is, you need to buy me a car first

i have no real need for one but be my guest

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: January 07, 2015, 08:18:40 am »

thing is, you need to buy me a car first

i have no real need for one but be my guest
Do you use public transport instead?

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 220