Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258207 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #1485 on: January 02, 2015, 12:26:21 pm »

This is the longer version of the "Passions according to St. Matthew," with the composer himself performing.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: January 03, 2015, 08:52:31 am »

Doublepost for The Great Justice!

So, ladies and gentlemen, I've been reading into the history of Russia - Caucasus and Russia - Central Asia realtions recently. And I'd like to talk about them a bit.

But first, a question: Russian policy in Caucasus was colonialism Y/N?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: January 03, 2015, 09:03:03 am »

Y.

It's textbook colonialism: come in, move the "savages" out, install settlers (the Cossack among other). In other part, it was a softer kind of colonialism, more like what the British had in India, where you simply have local chief swear allegiance to your Emperor, but colonialism nonetheless.

At least if you talk about 19th century Russia.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: January 03, 2015, 10:07:08 am »

My answer is that it depends heavily upon the place and the person. The Russian Empire was certainly expanding into the Caucasus and into the Central Asia, but that expansion cannot be labeled colonialistic in many instances due to the entirely different treatment the Empire's officials gave the newly subservient peoples. Consider two examples: Imam Shamil and the Siege of Tashkent. The former was a Caucasian resistance leader who drank a lot of Imperials' blood with his guerilla tactics, and whose treatment after his capture was an honorable exile in a luxurious mansion with a later permission to travel to Mecca for a pilgrimage. The latter was, with all due respect to the defenders of Tashkent, a beatdown where the soldiers of Chernyaev annihilated the opposition with a complete disregard for said opposition's numerical superiority; what happened to to the locals of Tashkent after that was abolition of both slavery (forever) and taxes (for one year).

In general, the conquered Caucasus and Central Asia were treated not as a colonies, but as full parts of the Empire, and this treatment was continued by the USSR, which allocated a lot of resources to development of the "Caucasian republics," resulting in a spiking literacy, life expectancy and HDI in general. Of course, this does not mean that the Emperors and the Gensecs have always treated the peoples of the Caucasus and the 'Stans well, as evidenced by, for example, Stalin's absolutely infamous deportation of the Chechens and Simanovich's punitive expedition, among other things, but I would still say that the Russians were much kinder and merciful rulers in the Middle East than the Americans were in the Philippines and the French were in Algeria.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:46:49 am by Knit tie »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: January 03, 2015, 01:19:36 pm »

The Oxford English Dictionary defines a colony as follows:

"A country or area under the full or partial political control of another country and occupied by settlers from that country"
. In turn "colonialism" can be defined as the acquisition or expansion of colonies.

No matter how benevolent the Russians were as Overlords over countries and nations they conquered for economic gain and national security, they were still overlords over other countries. The fact that they conquered established full and partial political control over the entirety of North Asia for instance along with all the countries in the Caucasus and in Central Asia means that Russian policy in its regions of "expansion" was straightforward textbook colonialism.

You can argue the benefits of colonialism - how savages were civilised and taught how to read the language of the conquerer and so on, introduced to the conquerer's laws and so on. People in Britain do it all the time. There is really no difference between Britain's treatment of its subjects and Russia's treatment of its subjects. When the Brits absorbed a country they made them full parts of the Empire - that's still a colony. A British citizen in the Raj was a British citizen. Obviously that's not strictly true when you look at exactly what that meant in a wider context of prejudice and human rights and all that, but it was the same in the Russian Empire. There's very little difference between what the Russians did in the North Caucasus to the Circassians and what the English (and later British) did in Wales and Ireland. Northern Ireland and Krasnodar Krai are very similar in lots of respects - both are highly successful colonies that still exist today. But ramblings aside, my point is you can argue "yeah, Russia was a good colonial power that helped people out". You can try to argue that - I'll argue against you but by all means go for it. What you can't do however is say "Russia was not a colonial power" - that is not in dispute.

"Colonialism" in the strict definition carries a lot of baggage with it that we refer to collectively as "colonialism" in common speech, so things like the othering of a group of people as savages (this continues today in Russia), arguing they're not really human and so on. That's part of the propaganda campaign essential to justifying the moral abomination and evil that is imperialism and colonialism, whether it's Russian, English, British, French, Spanish or American. The abuse of colonised people in some way is pretty much inevitable by the very nature of the beast.

As an aside - I think when you start trying to argue whether one country was a kinder or more merciful colonial power than the other it's a bit like saying one serial killer/rapist wasn't as bad as the other. They're both serial killers and rapists. It's a pointless exercise. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:29:57 pm by Owlbread »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: January 03, 2015, 01:30:22 pm »

Well, colonialism means a lot of different things. The US, South Africa, India, the Falklands Islands, Cyprus and Egypt were all part of the English colonial Empire at one point or another. This gives an idea of the breadth of relations that can be colonial: from replacing the natives with settlers to imposing a protectorate, leaving the place to largely self-govern as long as they follow the foreign policy lead from the capital.

Likewise, Russian colonialism took many forms. Sometimes, it meant killing most of the locals, driving the survivors into the mountains and settling the place with Cossacks. Sometime it was softer forms of colonialism, up to simply bribing the local chief into swearing fealty. But it was always colonialism.

In that way, Russian colonialism was exactly like every single other.

You say that Russian colonialism was different in that the newly-conquered territory were seen as part of the Empire. But the same was true of other Empires. It's especially funny that you cite Algeria as an example. Algeria was a couple of French department. So much so that we still have a clause in the NATO treaty extending the Alliance's reach to "the French departments of Algeria". The fact that Algeria was seen as a part of France is the entire reasons they fought so hard to keep it, unlike much of French Africa for example.

Actually, I think the Algerian War is pretty similar to the first Chechnya War in many ways.

tl;dr

The Russian expansion in the Caucasus was definitely colonialism, and only by forgetting all the bad bits can you pretend it was better than what other nations did.

Edit: Fuck you Owlbread, I haven't read your post yet, but I'm sure you totally ninja'ed me.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: January 03, 2015, 01:32:02 pm »

Edit: Fuck you Owlbread, I haven't read your post yet, but I'm sure you totally ninja'ed me.

I think I did (I'm not sure where I was going with 90% of what I just wrote, I'm very tired) but you put it more succinctly so Knit tie should refer to your post instead.

The Russian expansion in the Caucasus was definitely colonialism, and only by forgetting all the bad bits can you pretend it was better than what other nations did.

When you accept as a basic principle that colonialism is morally wrong, I think it's an exercise in futility to try to justify whether one form of colonialism was worse than the other unless you're going to advocate its continuation in some way or debate the meting out of appropriate punishment/justice to the colonist. Considering nobody here is going to advocate Russia annex Georgia again (even at our worst we're more sensible than that) and you can't charge an entire nation for crimes like that*, I would advise Knit tie that I don't think we should really discuss the issue at length as the discussion probably won't be constructive. You can if you want, by all means, I'm just remembering the old threads getting closed.

*If we did, who would preside over the proceedings? Can you imagine how many countries we'd need to put in the dock?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:40:39 pm by Owlbread »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: January 03, 2015, 01:33:24 pm »

Hey our posts are about the same length, and make about the same point.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: January 03, 2015, 01:41:45 pm »

Owlbread, you are a very devoted Communist, aren't you? :P

We appear to be operating under different definitions of "colonialism." Mine revolves around colonialism being a negligently exploitative relationship between two countries, one of which is under the control of the other, while yours is almost indistinguishable from the definition of "conquest," which, I have to confess, I find very confusing, as according to it the absolute majority of territories in the world are colonies.

But if we do indeed accept your definition of a colony, hypothetically, then I have no choice but to agree with you: Caucasus is a Moscow colony. Along with every other land in Russia outside of Moscow. Which raises another question: if a colony is perfectly happy with its status as a colony and wants to continue being a colony when it is given a chance to stop being a colony, is it still a colony?

EDIT: I think I should clarify here that I do not view "colonialism" (your definition) as inherently morally wrong, I believe it all depends on the opinion, the treatment and the standard of living of the inhabitants of the colony - if country B is conquered by country A, which proves to be altogether a more benevolent ruler than country B's deposed ruler or ruling class used to be, then I believe it is possible to argue that the conquest was ultimately a good thing, after consideration of all other factors, of course.

I also think I should clarify that by "a part of the Empire" in my original post I meant the de-facto attitude towards the newly conquered territory, that it is not exploited for resources or labour and instead recieves due attention and funding when it comes to civic projects and the welfare of its populace.

And, of course, I should clarify that I do not consider the episodes of brutality, exploitation and genuine colonialism that the Russian Empire did show during its Caucasian and Middle Eastern expansions, such as the aforementioned episode with Cossacks (I assume you mean the Semirechye Cossacks there), to be anything but morally wrong in any way, shape or form.

But the question still stands: if a colony is perfectly happy with its status as a colony and wants to continue being a colony when it is given a chance to stop being a colony, is it still a colony?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 02:12:58 pm by Knit tie »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: January 03, 2015, 01:49:51 pm »

Which raises another question: if a colony is perfectly happy with its status as a colony and wants to continue being a colony when it is given a chance to stop being a colony, is it still a colony?

Yes, yes it is. I believe that has been expressly defined on at least one occasion but I can't remember where. I think Puerto Rico is an example of that.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:52:10 pm by Owlbread »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: January 03, 2015, 01:58:26 pm »

No all the product of conquest are colonial. For example, Belgian was conquered in WW2, but is wasn't directed by settlers, so it cannot be called a German colony.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: January 03, 2015, 02:06:02 pm »

All colonies were conquered, though.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: January 03, 2015, 02:12:30 pm »

No all the product of conquest are colonial. For example, Belgian was conquered in WW2, but is wasn't directed by settlers, so it cannot be called a German colony.

If, however, Belgium was conquered with the aim of establishing a kind of satellite state then it would resemble colonialism; even more so if settlers were involved. Until then it's imperialism I think.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: January 03, 2015, 02:20:24 pm »

If, however, Belgium was conquered with the aim of establishing a kind of satellite state then it would resemble colonialism; even more so if settlers were involved. Until then it's imperialism I think.
So when, by your definition, doesn't a conquest result in a colony?

Which raises another question: if a colony is perfectly happy with its status as a colony and wants to continue being a colony when it is given a chance to stop being a colony, is it still a colony?

Yes, yes it is. I believe that has been expressly defined on at least one occasion but I can't remember where. I think Puerto Rico is an example of that.
Is it still morally wrong for that territory to be a colony, then?

EDIT: Also please read my edited post on the previous page.

EDITEDIT: In response to Owlbread's edits:
What you can't do however is say "Russia was not a colonial power" - that is not in dispute.
Of course not, Russian Empire was still an Empire, and all Empires are colonial powers by definition.

As an aside - I think when you start trying to argue whether one country was a kinder or more merciful colonial power than the other it's a bit like saying one serial killer/rapist wasn't as bad as the other. They're both serial killers and rapists. It's a pointless exercise.
I think you are being overly categorical here, countries are not monolithic, single entities, they are conglomerations of masses of people, and judging them as you would judge said monolithic, single entities would be misguided, in my opinion. A group of one thousand people that has one murderer in it can be rather successfully, I believe, argued to be an overall better, more benevolent entity than a group of one hundred people that has fifty murderers in it, just like a group of people in which one man is murdered each year can be argued to be an overall safer and more lawful entity than a group of people of the same size in which one hundred men are murdered each year.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 02:41:42 pm by Knit tie »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: January 03, 2015, 02:47:38 pm »

Speaking about Caucasus... I can tell many things about what I think about conquest of Caucasus and Russian colonialism but Shevchenko, Ukrainian poet, told everything in his poem many years ago

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 220