Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257735 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #915 on: December 17, 2014, 12:11:57 am »

Slaughtered men = equity feminism! Yay!

This happened across Europe as well. Men off to war = women had to work in factories, making munitions etc. Before the house was the place of a woman, but after the war ideas began to change through necessity.

The United States went through this period as well.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: December 17, 2014, 03:22:39 am »

There have also been sighting of american vehicles in Ukraine
If Colonel Cassad is to be believed, this video was actually shot in Latvia and shows American troop redeployment to Lithuania.
Cassad claims that besides some Humvees and three counter-mortar radars, the Ukrainian Army has no American or other NATO vehicles.

Spoiler: Fuuuuuuuuuuu (click to show/hide)
That pic brings back memories. I loved Kalambur when I was a kid.
Also, here's a slightly related reworked intro of Крутое Пике.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: December 17, 2014, 03:27:23 am »

There have also been sighting of american vehicles in Ukraine
If Colonel Cassad is to be believed, this video was actually shot in Latvia and shows American troop redeployment to Lithuania.
Cassad claims that besides some Humvees and three counter-mortar radars, the Ukrainian Army has no American or other NATO vehicles.

Still, deployment and redeployments of american troops in Russia's immediate neighbours is a show of force a la naturelle, don't you agree?

http://www.investing.com/currencies/usd-rub

Huh.
This is either a short-term fluke, a miracle, or the result of Putin conducting his last meeting with Nabibullina in the museum of Stalin's repressions.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 03:29:33 am by Knit tie »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: December 17, 2014, 06:47:35 am »

Yeah, but those deployments were announced, and it's just saber-rattling. Nothing really new.

As for the central banker, capital controls (which are the only real tool they haven't used) can be dangerous. Too restrictive and they hamper the economy. Not restrictive enough and they can actually make things worse as people dump their remaining rubles because they're afraid of being stuck with unconvertible rubles.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: December 17, 2014, 07:28:06 am »

One of my favourite Scottish journalists,  George Kerevan, wrote an astute article regarding Russia and the economic crisis brewing. I recommend taking a look.

He's actually trying to get accepted as an SNP candidate for Westminster this year so here's hoping he gets in. Former economics professor and all that. They could use a voice like that in future debates on Russia - we need to be very careful indeed with the way in which we're approaching Russia now.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: December 17, 2014, 07:47:28 am »

One of my favourite Scottish journalists,  George Kerevan, wrote an astute article regarding Russia and the economic crisis brewing. I recommend taking a look.

He's actually trying to get accepted as an SNP candidate for Westminster this year so here's hoping he gets in. Former economics professor and all that. They could use a voice like that in future debates on Russia - we need to be very careful indeed with the way in which we're approaching Russia now.
I couldn't agree with that man more - NATO should take steps to defuse the situation by offering security guarantees to Russia, not by posturing. Russians are not the kind of people who are intimidated by military might, trying to threaten us will only antagonise us further.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: December 17, 2014, 07:50:15 am »

Worse - we have no idea what could come from a collapsing Russia. We're trying to bring down the Russian economy with complete disregard for the ultimate consequences that are already being felt as far as Brazil.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: December 17, 2014, 07:56:17 am »

One problem I can see with the NATO guarantees to Russia, conditional or not, is that it would polarize the situation and make it/make it look like a NATO/USA vs. Russia from both sides of the fence. Theres also the thing that not all Russia's European neighbors are in NATO, and they might see another reason to join the coalition ASAP. However, would you think that such guarantees or an agreement no matter how relevant such would be would stop some of the nato-is-a-threat-we-must-repell propaganda/arguments within and from Russia?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: December 17, 2014, 08:00:05 am »

Also, what would those guarantee be? I doubt a piece of paper is going to make Russia feel better.

Owlbread, what do you advocate then?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: December 17, 2014, 08:06:48 am »

Also, what would those guarantee be? I doubt a piece of paper is going to make Russia feel better.

I think a piece of paper really would make Russians feel better. It would show that the USA doesn't want to fight and doesn't want to spread NATO further, and that's going to lessen the hostility from Cold War-thinking Russians by at least an order of magnitude.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: December 17, 2014, 08:09:51 am »

It's incredibly difficult because we're juggling a need to defuse the crisis with the fact that Russia needs to know it simply cannot do things like this. It can't cripple other countries on its doorstep, annexe bits of them and all the rest of it. I don't know if we can achieve this without causing another recession,  however.

As I said in the Euro thread I think we at least need a non-NATO defensive pact brokered by the EU with post-Soviet states to protect them from Russian aggression, but with no mechanism to go to war with Russia offensively.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: December 17, 2014, 08:11:56 am »

I think a piece of paper really would make Russians feel better. It would show that the USA doesn't want to fight and doesn't want to spread NATO further, and that's going to lessen the hostility from Cold War-thinking Russians by at least an order of magnitude.

What about that piece of paper called the Budapest treaty which Russia broke?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: December 17, 2014, 08:12:44 am »

What about that piece of paper called the Budapest treaty which Russia broke?

what about the "we're totally not expanding nato past germany guys" that is apparently not even a thing anymore

america just retconned that shit out

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 220