Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257984 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #750 on: December 13, 2014, 11:59:52 pm »

What are you working on exaclty? Maybe we could discuss that via PM?
But then I'll miss out on all the interesting biology...
You naughty substrate, put your DNA in my active site, I want to conform around it~

Please, those poly(A) tails have to be extensions.
What one LexA molecule said to another: "Everybody sure's been under a lot of stress lately, but I know what'll help - we should call RecA and cut each other!"
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 12:05:53 am by Knit tie »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 14, 2014, 04:20:13 am »

That's my new favourite joke that no one can understand.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 14, 2014, 12:51:09 pm »

That's my new favourite joke that no one can understand.

Yeah, I can't top that one.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 14, 2014, 01:19:42 pm »

So, uh, should I explain the joke?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 14, 2014, 05:54:57 pm »

Yes!

I'll supply a math joke, though:
Do you know Hilbert? No? Then what are you doing in his space?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 14, 2014, 07:04:06 pm »

SOS genes are the genes that are made into proteins when the cell is in hostile conditions, which in biology is often called "under stress".

Copypasted from Wikipedia:
During normal growth, the SOS genes are negatively regulated by LexA repressor protein dimers. Under normal conditions, LexA binds to a 20-bp consensus sequence (the SOS box) in the operator region for those genes. Activation of the SOS genes occurs after DNA damage by the accumulation of single stranded (ssDNA) regions generated at replication forks, where DNA polymerase is blocked. RecA forms a filament around these ssDNA regions in an ATP-dependent fashion, and becomes activated. The activated form of RecA interacts with the LexA repressor to facilitate the LexA repressor's self-cleavage from the operator.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 09:28:09 pm by Knit tie »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 14, 2014, 09:27:58 pm »

Doublepost indicatefor threadupdate.

Plusmany Russiapictures inlink

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 15, 2014, 06:14:55 am »

Helgo, could you explain your joke. And I like how your link double as a rough population density graph.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 15, 2014, 10:47:34 am »

Well, a Hilbert space is a vector space with an inner product, usually known as vector multiplication, which gives a metric, that is, a function that measures distance between points. Physicists often use Hilbert space as a synonym for the kind of space we live in, so that's why you're in Hilbert's space, killing his doodz (or not).
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 15, 2014, 11:02:17 am »

Helgo, could you explain your joke. And I like how your link double as a rough population density graph.

It confirms my suspicion that Krasnoyarsk Krai is entirely empty except for Krasnoyarsk and its immediate vicinity, at any rate.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 15, 2014, 12:27:36 pm »

Meanwhile Russian ruble lost 12% against USD today. Is it beggining of the end?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: December 15, 2014, 12:50:33 pm »

Meanwhile Russian ruble lost 12% against USD today. Is it beginning of the end?

More like the middle of the beginning.  Military warfare is very fast, economic warfare is very slow.  The effect of the sanctions cant really be expected to spill over into power projection and standard of living for another few years.  Not all economic agents are forward looking and the Russian government could remain solvency even in complete ignorance of the market for that long if it wanted to.  What Ukraine really needs to do is ready itself for a long economic fight and make use of the advantages it has.  With the right reforms, it's not unreasonable to suppose that by 2025 the Ukrainian economy could be twice the size it is today or even more while Russian growth over the next decade could be less then 30%.  That would put Ukraine in a position where it's economically stronger then non-energy sector Russia and make further "separatist" encouragement non-viable.  What I would be wondering about if I was Ukrainian is what happens after 2025?  The endgame here is whether the gradeschool children in Kiev or Sevestapol will have better futures waiting for them when they leave highschool.  That isn't decided yet.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 15, 2014, 12:52:46 pm »

Meanwhile Russian ruble lost 12% against USD today. Is it beginning of the end?

More like the middle of the beginning.  Military warfare is very fast, economic warfare is very slow.  The effect of the sanctions cant really be expected to spill over into power projection and standard of living for another few years.  Not all economic agents are forward looking and the Russian government could remain solvency even in complete ignorance of the market for that long if it wanted to.  What Ukraine really needs to do is ready itself for a long economic fight and make use of the advantages it has.  With the right reforms, it's not unreasonable to suppose that by 2025 the Ukrainian economy could be twice the size it is today or even more while Russian growth over the next decade could be less then 30%.  That would put Ukraine in a position where it's economically stronger then non-energy sector Russia and make further "separatist" encouragement non-viable.  What I would be wondering about if I was Ukrainian is what happens after 2025?  The endgame here is whether the gradeschool children in Kiev or Sevestapol will have better futures waiting for them when they leave highschool.  That isn't decided yet.
The new reforms in Ukraine can potentially abolish high school education (10th and 11th years of education) for the sake of "conserving money".

Ukraine is not going to become an economical super-power any time soon.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 15, 2014, 12:57:02 pm »

Suuuuuuuuure.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 15, 2014, 12:59:46 pm »

http://www.bne.eu/content/story/new-ukraine-finance-minister-drafts-sweeping-welfare-cuts

"Among the most startling proposals are to reduce the number of MPs from 450 to 150, reduce obligatory schooling from 11 to 9 years, and abolish the constitutional guarantees of free education and medicine, as well as abolishing a constitutional norm prohibiting closure of existing institutions (such as schools and hospitals)."

"Perhaps most controversially, the finance ministry is proposing to raise the pension age for both men and women to 65, from currently 57 for women and 62 for men, canceling pension indexation for inflation, and slashing all travel benefits (such as free travel for pensioners)."

Sure?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 220