Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258243 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #525 on: December 01, 2014, 04:03:16 pm »

Yeap, that kind of bullshit is fun

Nationalists participated in revolution = nationalists made a revolution.
Nationalists participate in the war vs Russia = only nationalists wage war.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 01, 2014, 04:09:26 pm »

23% is good enough for me.

After all, the Right Sector + Svoboda have about 6% of the votes, yet they've carried our the whole revolution in Ukraine all by themselves.

It doesn't actually matter how many people vote, what matters is how many people are ready to fight to defend their believes.

History is decided by the winner, after all...

Yes but Putin is a lizardman who rules all of Russia with mindwaves so I can make up bullshit too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 01, 2014, 04:12:34 pm »

Yeap, that kind of bullshit is fun

Nationalists participated in revolution = nationalists made a revolution.
Nationalists participate in the war vs Russia = only nationalists wage war.
Without nationalists to combat policemen, the Maidan would have been dispersed. Or do you seriously think that normal common people are trained in street anti-police warfare?
._.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 01, 2014, 04:18:10 pm »

23% is good enough for me.

After all, the Right Sector + Svoboda have about 6% of the votes, yet they've carried our the whole revolution in Ukraine all by themselves.

It doesn't actually matter how many people vote, what matters is how many people are ready to fight to defend their believes.

History is decided by the winner, after all...

Yes but Putin is a lizardman who rules all of Russia with mindwaves so I can make up bullshit too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As a lizard, I'd like to distance myself from that... poser.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 01, 2014, 04:18:17 pm »

Yes you need to have rigorous training before you know how to die to sniper bullets.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 01, 2014, 04:26:31 pm »

So russia is selling oil for USD, then use those USD to buy gold from their own mines? i seem to remember there are few economists here and i would love to hear what makes those transactions a brilliant master plan for russia.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 01, 2014, 04:28:05 pm »

But I'm tired of playing nice! It doesn't prevent sanctions and economical attacks, while preventing our victories!

The current "compromisal" strategy of Kremlin is literally the worst possible strategy one can do in that situation. They should've either not done anything at all, or they should've rushed the Ukraine while its forces (and forces of their European allies) were still unmobilized and unprepared. By partially invading and stalling, they're showing their utter incompetency and maybe even stupidity bordering on treachery, which is not actually all that suprising coming from a bunch of corrupt oligarchs.

The Putin has managed to seriously devaluate his words by first preparing for war in the April/May, by using all that "our soldiers will hide behind donbass citizens" rhetoric, and also (as I recently learned) doing things like canceling vacations for medics near the potential front-line.

If only he carried through his intentions, we wouldn't have this total clusterfuck on our hands right now. Should've put our Western "partners" before a fact of conquered Ukraine, and started negotiations from there.

What Western allies? Ukraine is a NATO's partner, true, but then again so is every other European nation. West will be happy to sell UA weapons, however some countries have laws against selling weapons to countries in war, and just "instability" has counted before(Israel). Some nations will send advisors and some material for free, mainly Eastern Euro ones: they're have their own interests(of not being eaten, instabilized etc.) of course.

I would not be so sure that Russia even had the capability for a full blown out war and direct confrontation with good enough odds back when Crimea was annexed. Russia didnt have division-scale forces in combat readiness(=in excercises) at UA-RU border back then.

And what Russian victories? Like you said yourself before, Russia is grabbing small scale military victories and some land with her right arm and shooting herself in the leg with the other. Globalisation sucks for Russia now.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 01, 2014, 05:05:17 pm »

Knit, what's a salnik? I found a translation for vatnik, and right now it applies to you more than to UR... In a rather intellectualized way though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 01, 2014, 05:15:46 pm »

Knit, what's a salnik? I found a translation for vatnik, and right now it applies to you more than to UR... In a rather intellectualized way though.
Salnik = derogatory term for a devout Ukrainian patriot. Sometimes used affectionately by other salniks, just as pro-Russian occasionally call themselves vatniks.

I am wondering, how am I a vatnik, though?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 05:18:05 pm by Knit tie »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 01, 2014, 05:27:54 pm »

Using this definition. 'Loves his motherland' certainly applies to you, and there's little difference between 'dumb' and 'willfully ignorant' in the 'seeing but disregarding' sense: You repeately stated that all this is not about what's good for Russia, but about what's good for, speaking bluntly, the Russian national ego. Of course you jump through some intellectual hoops to justify your position or at least to analyze and dissect it, so there may be some subtleties I'm missing.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 01, 2014, 05:52:13 pm »

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 01, 2014, 06:14:04 pm »

Using this definition. 'Loves his motherland' certainly applies to you, and there's little difference between 'dumb' and 'willfully ignorant' in the 'seeing but disregarding' sense: You repeately stated that all this is not about what's good for Russia, but about what's good for, speaking bluntly, the Russian national ego. Of course you jump through some intellectual hoops to justify your position or at least to analyze and dissect it, so there may be some subtleties I'm missing.
With all due respect, Helgo, I think that your anti-nationalist (sorry if I am using wrong terminology here) German upbringing has left you a tad biased towards people who hold onto irrational, nationalistic ideas. As I've mentioned in the terrified thread, defending the Motherland has always been a big part of Russian national identity, with sacrifice on one's life in a war to defend one's people being one of the greatest acts of heroism, and so I, and many of my compatriots, are not supporting the Donbass rebels, and, by proxy, Russia, out of blind jingoistic pride like your statement seems to imply, but because the Donbassians have allied themselves with Russia, and in doing so, became someone we ought to protect, even if our sacrifices will be ultimately futile and our cause will not be objectively just. Consider the kinship you told me you felt with secular Syrian rebels and Euromaidan activists - I feel the same kinship with the Novorussian separatists. It's not based on anything rational, but rather is an integral component of my system of values, similarly to how belief in democracy is an integral component of yours. I'd say that I am not being ignorant, even willfully, because I fully acknowledge how questionable, morally and otherwise, my position is to an external observer, and realise that I am not doing the right thing in the sense of Bismark's realpolitik.

To clarify, when I mentioned "Russian national pride" earlier, I didn't mean it a sense of 19th century imperialistic ambition, but rather in a sense of this moral imperative to defend our own.

Spoiler: Salnik, for comparison (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:30:01 pm by Knit tie »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 01, 2014, 06:17:46 pm »

I guess I disregarded the 'redneck' bit in the definition a little too much... There's many different ways of 'loving blindly', you're right.
The Bay12 postcard club

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 01, 2014, 06:27:08 pm »

I guess I disregarded the 'redneck' bit in the definition a little too much... There's many different ways of 'loving blindly', you're right.
BTW, one of the big difference between the Anglo-Saxon and the Asian ways of thinking I've noticed is that the Anglo-Saxons are more inclined to believe that there is only one absolute truth, while Asians (to which I ascribe Slavs, in mentality sense) are more predisposed to believe that there are many subjective truths, instead.

Regarding vatniks, though, one of he main qualities of a vatnik as defined by the Russian internet users is an irrational belief in his country's superiority, rather than just devotion to it. For example, a vatnik would doggedly insist that Russian legal system is the best, while a more rational patriot would acknowledge its faults.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 01, 2014, 06:28:06 pm »

Note how vatniks have zero creativity and just copypasted vatnik image with minor modification. Not that this Salnik term is widespread, in fact the first time I heard that term is from Knit tie

As for the "irrational  nationalism" bullshit. Many things in human mind are irrational. Love is irrational. When husband kills wife out and explain that  he did that because he LOVED her but she cheated him and adds that judge never loved anyone and has no right to imprison him..... This is not love, guys. And it is very similar to Russian excuses for their actions in Ukraine
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:33:23 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 220