Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258446 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #390 on: November 28, 2014, 02:40:29 pm »

Let's take pensions as an example: Sure, with a falling rouble the government's spending on pensions will go down - but very soon they'll have to raise the nominal pensions so that the current real pensions are not too far below the old ones. The savings from devaluation are very much temporary.

Besides Russian budget needs to spend $, too

Simplest example: Any governments needs to buy computers and software. You can't buy that for rubles.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 28, 2014, 02:44:37 pm »

>Russia
>buy software

Uhhhhhh...
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 28, 2014, 02:45:16 pm »

just give putin a pirate hat and an eyepatch is what sergie is saying

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 28, 2014, 03:09:34 pm »

Pirated software in government institutions.... He-he. Good luck with security updates
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 28, 2014, 03:39:22 pm »

To be fair, the US government backdoors would be in the legit copies too. :P

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 28, 2014, 03:48:04 pm »

Protip: nothing prevents people from pirating the security updates, too.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 28, 2014, 04:26:04 pm »

What makes you think it's central bank and not some random speculators speculating?
._.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 28, 2014, 07:21:31 pm »

What makes you think it's central bank and not some random speculators speculating?
This. If it were the central bank, there would be announcements trumpeted to every corner of the world, as that could help raise confidence. The price is moving rapidly, and as such, spikes both up and down are to be expected. And those are hardly even spikes considering the largest is only about 1% on a day of multiple-percent change.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 28, 2014, 11:47:29 pm »

As much as it's fun to watch British TV pundits (and UR) orgasm from the sheer shadenfreude of expecting Russia to disintegrate, Putin to get cast out and the new Russian leader to incessantly fellate the economical and political penises of the western countries, I think the media here seriously overestimates both the "panic" in Russia and it's economical problems.

As Sheb has correctly mentioned, the majority of Russia's government's spending is in roubles, so falling oil prices are not that horrible, really. The Kremlin still gets the same number of roubles per barrel, and since it pays its expenses mostly in roubles as well, its intra-country budget is not hit as hard as many people in the west think.

As for the panic, there's is none whatsoever even in the economical circles, as the people who lived through to 90s are still alive and confident that this crisis won't be hearly that bad. Most commonly, comparisons are made with the 2008's recession.

Let's take pensions as an example: Sure, with a falling rouble the government's spending on pensions will go down - but very soon they'll have to raise the nominal pensions so that the current real pensions are not too far below the old ones. The savings from devaluation are very much temporary.
Could you elaborate here a bit, Helgo?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:52:32 pm by Knit tie »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 29, 2014, 12:30:42 am »

You can't create wealth by changing the numbers. Changes in exchange rates, inflation etc. only affect things in the short run - in the long run the numbers readjust to give the same situation in real terms.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 29, 2014, 12:39:29 am »

You can't create wealth by changing the numbers. Changes in exchange rates, inflation etc. only affect things in the short run - in the long run the numbers readjust to give the same situation in real terms.
I see, thank you.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 29, 2014, 01:11:41 am »

Click your heels together and say 'the ruble devaluing at a record rate is a good thing' and it'll come true
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 29, 2014, 01:28:25 am »

Click your heels together and say 'the ruble devaluing at a record rate is a good thing' and it'll come true
Mictlan, maybe you should tone down your anti-Russia's sentiments a bit? Rouble devaluation is not a good think, and I don't even try to pretend that is is, but it's not as catastrophic as the western media, for example, makes us think either.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 29, 2014, 02:36:10 am »

Rouble devaluation means we'll have to spend proportionally more on our imports, as far as I can understand, since that's the main utility of USD in Russian economy.

Sure, we import quite a lot, but not all and everything. Most of things we're importing come from China, and I think we've recently had some agreements about direct rouble-yuan exchanges, bypassing USD.

I have a question: what does a currency devaluation means to you?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 220