Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257482 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #255 on: November 17, 2014, 01:43:15 pm »

don't mention the war
I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 17, 2014, 02:14:41 pm »

No talking about Harper getting right to the point? What sort of Russia watch thread is this? Reference.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 17, 2014, 02:19:37 pm »

So your accusation is that he did to the poor Russians what you applaud the Russians for doing in Ukraine?
What do you mean? Invasion? As I've said earlier, Crimean annexation is much more complicated than that, what with them long wanting to leave Ukraine. And as for the Ukraine crisis, Puting, I believe, has merely replied to an already existing US - provoked crisis.

No talking about Harper getting right to the point? What sort of Russia watch thread is this? Reference.
Yes, the West has been becoming increasingly ballsy in its language and demands towards Russia, mostly because all the previous Soviet/Russian leaders inevitably gave in under such "harshly-worded" messages. And Putin doesn't, which makes the West understandably baffled and offended.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:25:02 pm by Knit tie »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 17, 2014, 02:26:46 pm »

So biased American reporting is sufficient legitimation for invading Ukraine? The article switched horses mid-stream, so its point was hard to see, but that seems to be its main talking point.
Also, in what universe was Euromaidan US-provoked? And don't tell me about the five billion dollars, we both know that story is bullshit.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 17, 2014, 02:35:23 pm »

So biased American reporting is sufficient legitimation for invading Ukraine? The article switched horses mid-stream, so its point was hard to see, but that seems to be its main talking point.
Also, in what universe was Euromaidan US-provoked? And don't tell me about the five billion dollars, we both know that story is bullshit.
Which article? Anyway, the reason Puting got physically involved in the Ukraine affair is because he was trying to preserve the status quo, i.e., reign of Yanukovich and constitutional order, however corrupt they both were. "Responsibility to protect" is a well-recognised in the US excuse for armed intervention, and what Puting has been doing in Ukraine is not even exactly that. And I don't know anything about any billions of USD, but there was a phone call between two well-known US neocons discussing their involvement in the Ukrainian euromaidan.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 17, 2014, 03:17:57 pm »

Which article? Anyway, the reason Puting got physically involved in the Ukraine affair is because he was trying to preserve the status quo, i.e., reign of Yanukovich and constitutional order, however corrupt they both were. "Responsibility to protect" is a well-recognised in the US excuse for armed intervention, and what Puting has been doing in Ukraine is not even exactly that. And I don't know anything about any billions of USD, but there was a phone call between two well-known US neocons discussing their involvement in the Ukrainian euromaidan.

Is that phone call legit? This is some huge crap, that I did not heard about, but than again at that time I had some personal things so did not follow the ukraine problem that much
Make love not war

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 17, 2014, 03:21:51 pm »

Is that phone call legit? This is some huge crap, that I did not heard about, but than again at that time I had some personal things so did not follow the ukraine problem that much
So far most sources recognise the phone call as legit, including the BBC.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 17, 2014, 03:49:54 pm »

Lol @ this 'discussion'. I especially enjoy how you exonerate Russia despite them having caused the destabilization of SO and now Ukraine. Further proof that falling into propaganda and conspiracy theories disconnects one from reality.

In actual Russia news, looks like Rosneft is going to be getting that bailout. Atleast 20 billion, after being told they're not getting the 42 billion originally asked for. Still quite a large chunk of the reserves.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:10:30 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 17, 2014, 04:16:53 pm »

I like how America is both wrong all the time, AND the source for geo-political justification of action. Do keep following our example, I'm sure it won't end up titanically fucked up for you too.

I'd have an iota more respect for Russia is 95% of retorts didn't consist of "Well, you did it too." It's so encouraging to watch world leaders act like kids on the playground.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:21:21 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 17, 2014, 04:51:57 pm »

Knit tie, I ask you to not get insulted on what I'll say below

For me, unlike other Bay12ers, your change of opinion isn't strange. I have seen that before not only in the internet but in the real life, too

You are escaping reality. Admitting that your whole country is going mad is very painful. It is much easier to say yourself 'we are partly right here.' or 'other sides are no better' or 'Yes, we do some bad things, but there are no enough proof that we do even worse things'.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 17, 2014, 07:28:21 pm »

Okay, please don't take any of this seriously, this is just for fun  :P

Knit tie, I ask you to not get insulted on what I'll say below
Admitting that your whole country is going mad is very painful.
Absolutely! Which is why neither you, nor Nenjin (I love your avatar, by the way!), nor Mictlantecuhtli are ever going to agree with me. I'll say that your respective countries are going mad and provide evidence of that, you'll retort that Russia is going mad and provide evidence of that, and we'll never ever stop just pushing our respective lines (I hope that's the expression). Such is the truth of human psychology that we have a harder time sympathising with those who oppose us than with those who opoose us, and on the internet, where we talk not with a person our subconsciousness recognises as a person, but with his or her writings, sympathising with whoever has an opposing point of view is therefore very hard, and requires high eloquence and meticulous argumentation on that man or woman's part. And unfortunately, here we are all but simple people, unskilled in the oratory arts, and so we will never see each other as human beings whose opinion we can respect and understand, but instead as oversimplified caricatures, as stubborn and ignorant fools, as shallow creations of enemy's propaganda whom we may and ought to deride for being too weak of mind to recognise the self-evident lies of their beliefs, and no matter with what fury and tenacity we each present our views, we will never be able to achieve anything other that mutual frustration.

Lol @ this 'discussion'. I especially enjoy how you exonerate Russia despite them having caused the destabilization of SO and now Ukraine. Further proof that falling into propaganda and conspiracy theories disconnects one from reality.
Do you see? Do you see how casually has Mictlan just insulted me? With how light a heart he wrote the words he would think twice before saying in real life - "you are a stupid believer of propaganda, a disconnected from reality conspiracy theorist?" And I am tempted to respond in kind, to state with such incredulous amusement or fiery indignation that he is but a fool, a trousered ape, an overfed capitalist lackey who cannot see reality behind the hamburger grease upon his brain, a miserable, pathetic bug whose empty yapping crashes uselessly against the fortress of my ego. But I won't actually do it, because that's not nice.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:36:56 pm by Knit tie »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 17, 2014, 07:45:27 pm »

Yes, it's a conspiracy you're espousing. No, the US didn't cause the unrest in Ukraine. It's currently Russian military men dying for Putin's ego. It is not a popular uprising. This was created by and for Putin's sphere of influence. Glad to know you understand that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:47:23 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 17, 2014, 07:50:04 pm »

"you are a stupid believer of propaganda a disconnected from reality conspiracy theorist?" And I am tempted to respond in kind, to state with such incredulous amusement or fiery indignation that he is but a fool, a trousered ape, an overfed capitalist lackey who cannot see reality behind the hamburger grease upon his brain, a miserable, pathetic bug whose empty yapping crashes uselessly against the fortress of my ego."

And you, sir, are a true poet.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 220