Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 457948 times)

neutrino431

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1485 on: April 08, 2019, 10:36:54 am »

If a squad successfully demands the surrender of a site and then occupies it, the former leader will be beheaded, sliced into bits, or other various forms of execution.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: April 08, 2019, 12:30:05 pm »

If a squad successfully demands the surrender of a site and then occupies it, the former leader will be beheaded, sliced into bits, or other various forms of execution.
Usually, but occasionally not. Not sure what causes that, don't remember the circumstances.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 08, 2019, 12:47:38 pm »

Blood is stored on a tile even if that tile is currently open space.

As an example, I had one of my miners injured in a mining accident, and a smear of her blood was on a platform. I removed the platform, which removed the blood, because the platform was now an open space tile. Just now, I built a bridge over the same place, and lo and behold, that smear of blood re-appeared.

If it means anything, the bridge has been designated but not built, yet the blood is still right there.

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 08, 2019, 01:12:11 pm »

As an example, I had one of my miners injured in a mining accident, and a smear of her blood was on a platform. I removed the platform, which removed the blood, because the platform was now an open space tile. Just now, I built a bridge over the same place, and lo and behold, that smear of blood re-appeared.

The blood in open space was not removed, it existed all the time, the game just didn't show it. Stone Sense shows hanging pools of blood and vomit pretty good, here is an example, see near upper left corner:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: April 09, 2019, 10:01:17 pm »

3 dudes with all-steel gear is enough to make ~75 pop elf site surrender.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: April 10, 2019, 05:06:43 am »

Dude they fight with wood.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: April 10, 2019, 06:54:50 pm »

While very niche, I found something mildly not trivial!

After a little !!SCIENCE!!, I have discovered a cool bug with artifacts. If you forbid the main ingredient of the artifact while your moody dwarf is working on it, the artifact will be made from iron.

If you forbid all ingredients, then the moody dwarf will "work" for the entirety of their mood timer and then go insane.

There are practical applications for this, like if your moody weaponsmith who likes warhammers goes off and grabs some candy, you can forbid the candy to not only save the wafer but also to produce a not useless artifact. It can also be used on moody children to create useless iron artifacts rather than useless bone or wood artifacts, which can help your wealth or at least make the artifact feel a little less useless. Note that they will still train the original skill and not metalcrafting, unfortunately.

This needs more !!SCIENCE!! of course, since I have a sample size of one, which was a moody child destined to make a wooden cup. I'm still curious about several things, like how a clothesmaker's mood might be influenced by this. If anybody gets a moody clothesmaker, I'd be very interested to hear what happens if you forbid all the cloth they gather.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: April 10, 2019, 07:06:09 pm »

Delightful. I'm gonna have to !!science!! that.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: April 11, 2019, 09:57:28 am »

After a little !!SCIENCE!!, I have discovered a cool bug with artifacts. If you forbid the main ingredient of the artifact while your moody dwarf is working on it, the artifact will be made from iron.

If you forbid all ingredients, then the moody dwarf will "work" for the entirety of their mood timer and then go insane.

There are practical applications for this, like if your moody weaponsmith who likes warhammers goes off and grabs some candy, you can forbid the candy to not only save the wafer but also to produce a not useless artifact. It can also be used on moody children to create useless iron artifacts rather than useless bone or wood artifacts, which can help your wealth or at least make the artifact feel a little less useless. Note that they will still train the original skill and not metalcrafting, unfortunately.

This needs more !!SCIENCE!! of course, since I have a sample size of one, which was a moody child destined to make a wooden cup. I'm still curious about several things, like how a clothesmaker's mood might be influenced by this. If anybody gets a moody clothesmaker, I'd be very interested to hear what happens if you forbid all the cloth they gather.
i can confirm that they go insane if you don't own any cloth.
poor little Urist McChild who wanted to become a legendary tailor and had to starve in her workshop instead :(
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: April 11, 2019, 03:30:06 pm »

Squads on missions that are across a body of water (though not totally cut off by it such as with an isthmus) will sometimes route THROUGH THE WATER.

How they do this I do not know. In one specific case my world has a thumb-shaped ocean jutting into the map from the northeast. My fort is on this ocean's west coast. A raze mission going across the ocean pathed right through it on the way over then skirted the coast to get home.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:35:24 pm by JAK »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: April 11, 2019, 03:47:36 pm »

Sweet, can ya get a save for us to send Toady? Does it happen every time?
In a time before time, I had a name.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: April 11, 2019, 05:06:29 pm »

This is because iron is the first material defined in the raws. If you go into inorganic_metal and swap the positions of iron and adamantine, this trick will yield adamantine artifacts instead. I have no idea what will happen if you do the swap in an established fort.

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: April 11, 2019, 06:52:56 pm »

Sweet, can ya get a save for us to send Toady? Does it happen every time?

No, but below I've attached an image of the mission report.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: April 11, 2019, 09:08:00 pm »

Nice, they finally get around to those swimming lessons!
I'll see if I can reproduce that.
Check if you can make that happen reliably, that would be pretty helpful.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:10:05 pm by Magistrum »
In a time before time, I had a name.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: April 14, 2019, 02:06:37 pm »

Had an odd situation where a legendary armorsmith mooded and walked between two of the three magma forges but didn't claim either. He would walk to one, stay there a moment, then walk to the other, etc. He did that for several dwarf days. I 'd' 'b' 'f' both forges, then he walked to the third forge and claimed it. Not sure what to think of this since searching the forums about this issue is difficult.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 148