Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'Stand-in' civs for the overworld  (Read 1195 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
'Stand-in' civs for the overworld
« on: October 25, 2014, 06:35:23 pm »

Hello!

Im currently tossing about some ideas for alternative species for the overworld civs.

Spoiler: To clarify (click to show/hide)

I would like input about alternative civs.  Say gnomes getting an upgrade to stand in instead of dwarves, or satyrs for elves, or halflings for humans.

---

I wonder if you could combine natural creature biome data and civ-entity data to make cultures?  Like make sand-lizards and snow-lizards, both using the same entity data, but controlling their spawn points and expansions using their creature biome data?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:40:45 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: 'Stand-in' civs for the overworld
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:52:53 pm »

"You're insane! It can never be done! It goes against all that is life itself!"

In other words, it's dwarfy enough to be worth a try. Go, onto the !!science!!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 12:51:34 am »

If you want different types of cultures/biomes you need to make new entities. Just adding extra creatures to the current entities will share the same values and settlement locations, there isn't that kind of granularity in a single entity.

Also, this is already in vanilla, look at the subterranean animal people entity.

If you're looking for ideas for other races to fit the same niches as current vanilla races... Animal people, animal people everywhere. Orcs, hobgoblins, mind flayers, etc. for gobs; plant people for elves; ogres, giants, cyclopes, catpeople, lizardpeople for humans; Rockpeople, mushroompeople for dwarves.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 09:46:53 am »

Aye, 'tis true that the biome tokens in the creature file had zero bearing on civ placement.  Id still like ideas, though.

Mind flayers make an interesting idea, and as a fairly dark minded person I appreciate the idea.  Im concerned with balance amoung other things . . .
[off to try to make a mind flying interaction now :)]

---

Im having the most trouble justifying the reason for the replacement.  Mountain civs, actually.  I have a merlock civ, I guess I could just try to make them a second mountain-y race, or even make them completely playable since they by nature do a lot of digging, but they do the tundra/desert thing well . . .  also they are super prolific in the worlds I design.

Gnomes dont need an upgrade, and Ive gotten them with some natural weapon skill/utterances, so they end up more like unofficial kobolds when they spawn.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:52:01 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 02:53:43 pm »

Don't let another civ conflict with dwarven mountains. This always causes problems. I had two modded races in the mountains, and it was pure luck based which of the three survived. Sometimes it was dwarves, sometimes it was draconians, sometimes it was the golems.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.