Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What's the deal with skeletons?  (Read 15420 times)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the deal with skeletons?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 10:38:48 pm »

I'm watching the opposite of this happen: I moved the refuse/corpse pile indoors to my new butchering rooms, and suddenly they're "decomposing" down to nothing, or perhaps being butchered down to nothing. I've never had this happen before, my butchering piles have been emptying, over the last year, faster than they're filling, despite the fact that we've butchered a huge number of merchant-acquired animals.  Overzealous butchers?

Also, every dwarf in the fort saw a giant green tree frog die, and everyone wrote in their diary that they didn't feel anything about it. I can't find any giant green tree frog remains, bones, nor any food made of this animal... but it's an interesting dynamic, this diary business.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 03:00:04 pm »

I've recently seen my first stack of mangled bones. (2014 stepladder version)
Dunno what to do with them...maybe grind them to bonemeal.

I'm sure also that chopped of limbs or bodies missing parts are sometimes butchered, but usually they are not. And just lie in your pile next to the butcher's until they rot to bones or partial skeleton.

I think corpses need to be (created) within a certain range of the butcher's to auto generate a job.
(remember to set the refuse options to haul refuse from outside! otherwise you only get the hunted bodies.)

How do you get goblin bones? I never managed to butcher them... Is a this recent development? ...Is that in vanilla DF?

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 04:16:51 pm »

I've recently seen my first stack of mangled bones. (2014 stepladder version)
Dunno what to do with them...maybe grind them to bonemeal.

I'm sure also that chopped of limbs or bodies missing parts are sometimes butchered, but usually they are not. And just lie in your pile next to the butcher's until they rot to bones or partial skeleton.

I think corpses need to be (created) within a certain range of the butcher's to auto generate a job.
(remember to set the refuse options to haul refuse from outside! otherwise you only get the hunted bodies.)

How do you get goblin bones? I never managed to butcher them... Is a this recent development? ...Is that in vanilla DF?
It was in vanilla in 0.34.11 A lot of Goblins were dismembered and I think they just detiorated into bones, which my Dwarves then used, I think it should still work, but haven't confirmed it yet.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 05:49:59 pm »

What's the deal with skeletons?

Well, they're spooky. And scary.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 04:31:49 am »

I recently ended up letting some peafowl corpses rot because I didn't realize the dogs were killing 'em.  However, I was, in fact, able to butcher them.  Also, when I did a reclaim, I was able to butcher some of the skeletons left behind, but not others.  Curious...

JonathanCR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 06:58:06 am »

It's probably because the stockpile is outside.

By default, dwarves ignore corpses and skeletons that are outside and won't butcher them. You can change this easily in the Standing Orders menu, accessed by pressing 'o'. Once there, press 'r' for 'refuse' and then 'o' to order them to collect items that are 'outside'.

While in the Standing Orders menu you may also want to check that butcherable corpses automatically generate 'butcher' jobs; this is done by pressing 'W' for 'workshop orders' and then toggled with 'b'.
Pages: 1 2 [3]