Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's the deal with skeletons?  (Read 15425 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's the deal with skeletons?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 12:06:51 am »

The only potential exploit I can think of for butchering skeletons for bones (besides allowing you to obtain bone nonviolently and without raising animals), would be obtaining high-quality bone without fighting to earn it.. Not much of an issue with the current overpriced food and trap components, though ;)

Teehee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 12:21:46 am »

The only potential exploit I can think of for butchering skeletons for bones (besides allowing you to obtain bone nonviolently and without raising animals), would be obtaining high-quality bone without fighting to earn it.. Not much of an issue with the current overpriced food and trap components, though ;)

For me the only issue here is the cluttered stockpile near the butchers workshop, that doesn't get proper (butcherable) stuff hauled in, since the stockpile eventually gets filled with the stuff the butcher rejects. So I want to understand what they will accept and what they will reject, and I'm not able to deduct that from whats happening ingame...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 04:10:10 am »

Are buzzard corpses big enough to leave bone? It's been too long so my memory is hazy but I'm sure I've butchered skeletons. Granted those hazy memories were from ethically edited fortresses.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 04:45:01 am »

After retaken an embark which got ended the first second by alligators i can confirm that butchers will butcher even partial and mangled skeletons. Those of the dogs, cats, bulls horses hens etc. pp.
No former sentient corpses of course.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:11:46 am by Astrid »

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 06:06:07 am »

I'm not sure about sapients. In a previous version, I was able to butcher so many Goblins that I had 500 Goblin bones. Unfortunately, I haven't attempted to butcher Goblins since 40.xx came out.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 08:18:40 am »

I'm not sure about sapients. In a previous version, I was able to butcher so many Goblins that I had 500 Goblin bones. Unfortunately, I haven't attempted to butcher Goblins since 40.xx came out.

You cant do that without modding. With modding you can butcher everything except the race you are playing in fort mode.

Sometimes you could end up with ridiculus stuff like prepared honey bee intestines because of it at embark... not sure if that bug is fixed yet.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 10:18:12 am »

It must be that buzzard is too small to butcher. I once had a similar occurance with weasel.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 10:28:16 am »

It must be that buzzard is too small to butcher. I once had a similar occurance with weasel.
If the buzzards are mangled, then they would be too small to butcher.

elpreda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 11:32:53 am »

AFAIK only corpses that were killed by dwarves directly can be butchered, so no starvation, fall damage, old age, syndrome, etc. Dunno about those killed by traps. Skeletons can be butchered even if they come from sentinent beings like goblins, but skeletons will only get butchered after the flesh from them completely rots away, which may take quite a few years.
So if a things was killed the proper way and doesn't have any flesh left at all it will be butchered and used by bonecarvers.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 11:48:04 am »

I butchered some carp skeletons that were killed by a river freezing, and some giant flying squirrels that fell out of a tree, so it might just be weird things that get butchered?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 01:36:44 pm »

Butchery has always been pretty hit-or-miss for me, I managed to convince my dwarves to butcher a giant lamprey corpse that air drowned, but only after having it hauled to a garbage dump next to the butchery station. Maybe the dwarves with butchering enabled have to see the corpse before they'll accept a butchery job?

I haven't been able to get any sapient or domestic creatures that died without being slaughtered to be butchered, even after dropping them down huge pits that cause their head and limbs to fall off...

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 03:04:08 pm »

AFAIK only corpses that were killed by dwarves directly can be butchered, so no starvation, fall damage, old age, syndrome, etc. Dunno about those killed by traps. Skeletons can be butchered even if they come from sentinent beings like goblins, but skeletons will only get butchered after the flesh from them completely rots away, which may take quite a few years.
So if a things was killed the proper way and doesn't have any flesh left at all it will be butchered and used by bonecarvers.
Yeah these Goblins had been chopped, slashed, whipped, shot, and crushed by a hallway of traps and had recieved a number of years to decompose, so it's entirely possible to get a ton of goblin bones. I had the Goblin bones carved into bolts and shot at all Goblins who came to the fort. They sucked as ammunition, but I say it was the Dwarfy thing to do.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Immolated Dwarf Punches
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 03:06:45 pm »

Yeah, it's definitely a great way to get a lot of bones and put that Legendary Bone Carver into use.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 09:55:26 pm »

I cant get butchery to work unless the butchers shop is relatively close to the corpses

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 09:16:06 am »

I cant get butchery to work unless the butchers shop is relatively close to the corpses

If we take the centre of the workshop as the origin, its like a 4-5 tile radius for me. Anything outside of said radius (hunter returns kills directly to the workshop so it still counts) is ignored totally.
If you want to have a proper butchering experience, make a big refuse pile and then carve 3x3's inside of it and place workshops there.
Unfortunately, youll still get unbutcherable corpses in the pile. You can deselect sapients to not clutter as much, but there is little you can do for the famished/too small corpses or parts to get stored as well. You need to dump the stockpiles every once in a while.
What's the deal with skeletons?

You pay them in corpses and they make sure you wont get boned.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:18:39 am by Z1000000m »
Pages: 1 [2] 3