Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What time period of Human History do you think Dwarf Fortress represents?  (Read 3812 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What time period of Human History do you think Dwarf Fortress represents?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 02:16:05 am »

Trust me, I am an history expert
Cringe-worthy.  Don't be that guy/girl.

The "h" is not silent in history (unlike "an (h)our"), therefore it is equally as awkward, clashing sounding, and impractical to use "an" for history as it would be to say "an hotel," "an hoverboard" or "an hat." (in Britain as well, the H is pronounced in proper Queen's English)

"Twas the night before Christmas, and all through an house, not a creature was stirring, not even an mouse!"
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:29:44 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 04:30:50 am »

Ur such an pedanter.

AshenGrey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 07:08:15 am »

I'd say that the Dwarves are medieval, but are heading towards Clockwork-Punk-ish (with all the mechanical traps and such they have)
Goblins are likely Assyrian Classical, being that they have acess to Iron.
Humans are late Bronze Age/ early Iron Age at best - You will rarely, if ever, see a Human with Iron. Mostly Bronze/ Copper
Elves are Neolithic, when people ran around smashing people with clubs (wooden 'swords') and eating the slain.
Kobolds are early Bronze Age when copper was first being used.

...Yeah. Kobolds are more advanced than Elves.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 09:24:41 am »

Not really . . . see, kobolds don't MAKE those copper weapons (unless you're in Masterwork). They steal 'em. The Kobolds are still neolithic like the elves, they're just thieves so they get their hands on the advanced weaponry of their neighbors.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 09:32:58 am »

The "h" is not silent in history (unlike "an (h)our"), therefore it is equally as awkward, clashing sounding, and impractical to use "an" for history as it would be to say "an hotel," "an hoverboard" or "an hat." (in Britain as well, the H is pronounced in proper Queen's English)
Speak for yourself.
I reckon if I were to go around a random selection of people around me there would be more who drop the h than don't.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 09:37:46 am »

Let's NOT turn this into a grammar and spelling debate, please.

Dwarves are definitely clockpunk for now. If we get pressurized steam later on, I can imagine them being both Clock and Steam Punk.

When I play as humans, I try for Iron Age. It's more difficult with them since I live on the surface when I play them. I usually don't get a mine going because I get bored before I'm done building housing.

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 04:11:30 pm »

Whichever time period had the giant lions and horrible monstrosities crawling up from the deep.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
Pages: 1 [2]